A few weeks ago I was asked to visit a company who wanted to replace the software application they used with one that my company sells. For over an hour I listened to a group of their users complain to me about their current program: its lack of features, its poor interface, its difficulty to use. The application they were using at the time is a well known program. And although we sell competing products I know for a fact that it�s a good application. But these people hated it. When I dug a little further I found out something.

A few of the people in my meeting weren�t using the application very often. Others said it was too hard to use. Eventually it became obvious that they never had any formal training. And when I brought up certain features I knew were available in this competing product I was met with stares. �I didn�t know it could do that,� I heard again and again. These people already had a good product. They just didn�t know it.

And so�I want to apologize to Research in Motion (RIM), the makers of BlackBerry. I�m one of those people.

For weeks I�ve been making fun of the BlackBerry, complaining that it�s not cool, it�s not good, it�s not a relevant product. And then this past week RIM releases its tablet device called the PlayBook. The tablet gets great reviews. It sells 45,000 units in one day. Its release made me think about the little BlackBerry Bold unit that I own. Because with all of my kvetching about this smartphone, I bought a new BlackBerry just a few months ago when my Verizon contract was up for renewal.

Why? Why didn�t I go with the �masses� and buy a cool iPhone or a sleek Droid device? It�s because I made a choice to not be one of those people that complain about a piece of technology without really understanding its features and how it can be used in my small business.

And here�s what I learned: the BlackBerry is still one of the best choices for a small business owner like myself. And RIM is not playing dead. Barron�s Jay Palmer says it all: �For all of Apple�s inroads, the U.S. smartphone market as a whole has been growing at such a fast clip�more than 75% in 2010, for instance�that RIM has been able to continue increasing revenue and profits rapidly, up a compound annual average of 57% and 50%, respectively, over the past five years. RIM has never had a single quarter of net global subscriber losses, and, with sales volume almost 20% greater than Apple�s, it remains the biggest smartphone player in the U.S.�

The problem isn�t the BlackBerry. It�s me. I�m like those users who complain about technology without really understanding it.

For example, up until a few months ago I didn�t even know there was a BlackBerry app store. Sure, it doesn�t have the volume of apps that you�ll find for a Droid or iPhone. But that�s because more of those apps do things like making your phone fart or turning it into a flashlight. BlackBerry has the apps available that are productive for a business owner. And they�re good.

I downloaded LifeInPocket, which is a free GPS navigator. I installed Google�s mobile apps for searching, Gmail and mapping. I started using Evernote for note-taking on the go. I earnestly began synching my phone with Outlook so that my calendar and contacts were up to date. I agree that BlackBerry�s internet browser is terrible but I fixed that by installing the free Opera mini-browser and can browse the web like anyone using an iPhone or Droid.

It�s not all business. I discovered that I didn�t need an iPhone to listen to my music on iTunes. BlackBerry�s Media software synchs it so I can still make my kids crazy with songs from The Atlanta Rhythm Section and Kansas when driving them to soccer practice. I listen to Pandora on my Blackberry and Howard Stern too. I take good photos and videos with the device. I play BrickBreaker when standing in line at the supermarket and have proved my lack of intelligence on trivia games waiting at the airport.

And with the help of a productivity expert, I learned how much I was under-using the time saving features of the BlackBerry too.

Susan Sabo, who owns the Productivity Cafe, writes, speaks and consults with individuals and business owners across the country about how to do things quicker and better. I asked her for some advice on using the BlackBerry better.

�Teach your BlackBerry to recognize your voice.� She emailed me. �You read a bunch of names and numbers to the phone, and then it will better understand you when you use voice commands. Since drivers are 28 times more likely to have an accident while texting or dialing, use voice dialing!�

Sabo also advised that I use the BlackBerry as an alarm clock (why didn�t I think of that?) and as an educational device when travelling by downloading books and training videos. She told me to use the space bar when reading emails or in a list of emails (it automatically moves down one screen) and to use the Q key whenever I wanted to quickly toggle from ring to vibrate. Small, but huge advice.

Rich Festen opened my eyes too. He runs Baking Arts, a small cooking school in San Francisco. Rich has an iPhone. And he uses Intuit�s GoPayment application for accepting credit cards from his customers, particularly the ones who attend his training courses.

�I take their credit card information and punch it into my phone,� he tells me. �The application confirms approval and within a minute I can confirm that the payment has been received.� The customer gets a receipt mailed to them and Rich gets a data file sent to his QuickBooks accounting system. There�s a card reader that can also be purchased where you swipe the credit card and the data is sent, via Bluetooth, to the smartphone too. Intuit�s mobile payment app is one of many available to small business owners. Its competitors, like Sage, offer other such apps. And they�re all available for the BlackBerry as well. RIM, not standing still, is eyeball deep in developing Near Field Communication payments too.

So for a small business owner, the BlackBerry has all the important apps. And by spending a little time, and getting the right advice, I found out that I could be a lot more productive with my BlackBerry too. But was that the main reason why I decided to stay with the device for another two years on my wireless contract? Actually, no. And it wasn�t the security features either. Those aren�t that important for a company my size.

The main reason is that, through the years, my BlackBerry has always worked reliably for me. And in the world of technology, that�s no small feat. When it came time to decide on my next smartphone the thought of having to learn a whole new device was making me barf. I have my routine down with the BlackBerry. I use it fast. Why would I want to change that for the sake of a new phone unless that new phone was going to bring something to me, and my business, that would really save me time and money? The iPhone and a Droid are cool. I get it. But for a small business owner, I don�t need cool. I need productivity. I wasn�t seeing enough incremental returns by switching.

So I�m sticking with my BlackBerry. But that doesn�t mean I�m entirely happy. RIM has lost some ground. They have to focus on making the BlackBerry as cool as their competitors without losing the look and feel of the device that keeps me so productive. They need significant changes to their overall design, touch screen features and video capability. Browsing is still terrible. And yet they can�t change too much or I�d feel like I�m starting all over again. One thing in RIM�s favor: unlike Apple and Google, the BlackBerry is their one and only product. Hopefully they�ll stay focused on it.

When my clients ask me what type of smartphone they should buy I usually ask them what they already have. If they�ve already got a BlackBerry I tell them the easiest and most productive thing to do is to stick with it and learn how to use it better. What�s more difficult is asking a new user to choose between the BlackBerry, an iPhone or a Droid. RIM doesn�t give me a clear answer there. That�s the problem they�re facing in the small business market. Hopefully they�ll address this.

So I apologize to RIM. I apologize to the BlackBerry. I�ve been like those annoying people who complain about their software without really understanding all of its functionality. I�m feeling better about the device for my small business. For now.

Gene Marks owns the Marks Group PC, a Bala Cynwyd, PA consulting firm that helps clients with customer relationship management. You can follow him on Twitter.
    I Apologize To My BlackBerry - Quicker Better Tech - - Forbes

Legit.
    04-25-11 09:50 AM
    Nice write up and I agree.
    04-25-11 12:16 PM
    I totally agree with his article, but one thing has to be addressed, and thats variety. sprint right now doesn't have what you would call "a plethora" of choices for the loyal blackberry fan in me, and that is where i get kinda upset. i know its not RIM itself for this but the carrier, but i wish RIM would have more of a choice when it comes to CDMA types of blackberries.....ok im done venting, thanks for letting me say that barkeep...
    04-25-11 02:00 PM
    Loved that article and agree. Blackberry is great for productivity, especially for us federal gov't employees...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-25-11 09:17 PM
    I made the switch from iphone to bb...havent looked back since.
    04-26-11 12:07 AM
    I totally agree with his article, but one thing has to be addressed, and thats variety. sprint right now doesn't have what you would call "a plethora" of choices for the loyal blackberry fan in me, and that is where i get kinda upset. i know its not RIM itself for this but the carrier, but i wish RIM would have more of a choice when it comes to CDMA types of blackberries.....ok im done venting, thanks for letting me say that barkeep...
    I Nominate you to be Sprint's CEO & President in place of Mr. Hess. You nailed it. I completely agree that Sprint is lacking a bit in the BlackBerry Inventory. Though nice, I will not be using a BlackBerry Style. (And by nice, I mean Teenager Friendly)

I'm waiting for Sprint to let me know what will be replacing my Tour. I'm more than ready to pay top $$$ for a Bold Touch. (Though, I will be calling it the Tour 3).

jiffy247 likes this.
    04-26-11 11:03 AM
    Oh, I would love a Style!!!!! Wish it would come to AT&T.
    04-26-11 11:44 AM
    I'll trade ya, you send us a Torch for Sprint, you can have a Style in any color you want. Hahaha!

04-26-11 12:04 PM
    Very nice article and very true, many people have used blackberry here for years and have moved on since but they never learned the blackberry platform. It's small things like shortcuts etc but those small things make you so much faster in daily use.

04-27-11 04:11 AM
    Awesome article, and so true for so many. I have a few friends, who've moved on from BB and stayed, but just as many who came back.

It looks like the next gen BlackBerries will be headed for several carriers, so no matter who you are with, G_d willing, the choices will be better.
    04-27-11 04:58 AM
    awesome article, and so true for so many. I have a few friends, who've moved on from bb and stayed, but just as many who came back.

It looks like the next gen blackberries will be headed for several carriers, so no matter who you are with, g_d willing, the choices will be better.
    lets hope youre right. !!!
    04-27-11 07:50 AM
    Thats why I use multiple Carriers! hehe

The Style is pretty nice, I actually wish it's main screen was a touch screen when I pick it up after using my Torch all day, the keyboard is soo roomy yet compact
    04-27-11 08:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD