I'm curious.... Why is it that RIM cannot program in a fix for the stuttering keyboard on this device?

It seems like it would be well within their abilities to do?
    04-24-11 01:35 PM
    I was wondering the same, too!
    04-24-11 01:37 PM
    I can't imagine it would be too difficult to tell the system to only allow one charaaacter per button press per haalf second or soomething.

Normally I'd fix the stuttering in my typing, but in this thread it seems appropriate to leave unfixed.
    04-24-11 01:40 PM
    It's a hardware issue.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-24-11 01:41 PM
    I understand it is a hardware issue... But software controls the hardware. Instead of having the software allow for a single character per key press I am sure they could set it to display fifteen characters per key press. Similarly, I'm sure they could slow the system down to prevent what is happening.
    04-24-11 01:43 PM
    That would make for a terrible typing experience for those of us who don't suffer from the issue.

04-24-11 01:47 PM
    Not if they coded it correctly.
    04-24-11 01:48 PM
    An interesting idea. None of my three International 9780 units have this problem but I have had a 9780 that did double space.

Could someone write a 3rd party software that allowed only one output for an input on the keyboard with in a short time period? "Time" would be the key and make the difference.

As many defective 9780 keyboards as there are out there, you could sell that software for $20 or more! Hmmmmm.
    04-24-11 01:50 PM
    I still can't see it happening, especially since RIM have all but denied the issue even exists now.

Their resources would be better put to use sorting out the quality issues in their Mexican plants

04-24-11 01:56 PM
    This is a typing test to see if my keyboard is ****ed up at all. It seems to be working properly and furthers my theory that people on the crackberry forums like to complain about every little thing no matter how minor it is.

04-24-11 02:13 PM
    This is a typing test to see if my keyboard is ****ed up at all. It seems to be working properly and furthers my theory that people on the crackberry forums like to complain about every little thing no matter how minor it is.

What the heck is wrong with you?

I'm asking a question about a specific issue on a specific BlackBerry in that BlackBerry's specific discussion forum.

What do you think the point of these forums is, if not for discussing the BlackBerry?
    04-24-11 02:44 PM
    Let me put it this way: If your remote control key, ley's say 1, fails, do you expect a softwar update to fix it?

How about the car's door stops locking? Could an update get it locking again?

I hope you get the picture and please don't think I'm being rude.
    04-24-11 03:52 PM
    I beg to differ - as the problem in this case is keys being repeated - what you refer to is things that do not happen.

A control software would in very simple terms have this logic:

- read last input
    - read next input
    - measure time in milliseconds between inputs
    - if next input = last input and time between inputs is less than x milli seconds neglect next input

This would also allow double letters in words - as long as you type slower than whatever parameter you set as "x"

(yes, I know it is more complicated than this - memory leak and buffer overflow are to issues - but it is not rocket science)
    +1

The double/triple entries could easily be stopped by slowing it down by a millisecond or something.
    04-24-11 04:19 PM
    I beg to differ - as the problem in this case is keys being repeated - what you refer to is things that do not happen.

- read last input
    - read next input
    - if next input = last input and time between inputs is less than x milli seconds neglect next input

This would also allow double letters in words - as long as you type slower than whatever parameter you set as "x"

(yes, I know it is more complicated than this - memory leak and buffer overflow are to issues - but it is not rocket science)
    I say you send RIM your CV and we all hope they hire you.
    highline likes this.
    04-24-11 11:13 PM

- read last input
    - read next input

measuring time is an extremely costly operation and can be a severe hit on battery power.
    highline likes this.
    04-25-11 01:23 AM
    Can someone please tell me what is the use of the key repeat rate setting in options???!!!! This should control the rate of repeating characters and shouldn't allow anything faster than the speed selected.
    If I set it to normal, it shouldn't allow the second character input unless a certain number of milliseconds pass. Doesn't it make sense?
    04-25-11 05:35 PM
    Doesn't it make sense?
    It makes perfect sense... but if it doesn't work for you, it just goes to show that a hardware problem can't be fixed with software.

04-25-11 05:39 PM
    It makes perfect sense... but if it doesn't work for you, it just goes to show that a hardware problem can't be fixed with software.

The software has to know when it outputs a character. It also has to know when it outputs two of the same character within a nanosecond.

I don't understand what would be so difficult in telling the system to not do that.
    04-25-11 05:49 PM
    Can someone please tell me what is the use of the key repeat rate setting in options???!!!! This should control the rate of repeating characters and shouldn't allow anything faster than the speed selected.
    If I set it to normal, it shouldn't allow the second character input unless a certain number of milliseconds pass. Doesn't it make sense?

no. Its the repeat rate when you press and hold a button. It has nothing to do with the time between button presses
    highline likes this.
    04-25-11 10:17 PM
    no. Its the repeat rate when you press and hold a button. It has nothing to do with the time between button presses
    But in Blackberry, when you press and hold, it inputs capital case letter and it doesn't repeat the same character!
    04-26-11 02:00 PM
    I currently own a 9780, after owning a 9800 and 9000 & a few more. This is the first phone that repeats what is typed rather than capitalizing the letter. I exchanged the Torch due to faulty reception issues where I live. Then due to a the Radio malfunctioning on the phone and not being able to receive calls. Quite a few other quirks. But the Bold 9780 was good at first but now is has input issues. I think BB has issues with manufacturing that needs to be corrected ASAP or I will migrate elsewhere. I love the design but the quality is not what it was.

And yes a software update to fix it would be a great idea.
    05-02-11 08:46 PM
    Well, I know a few people said that a software fix was impossible for a hardware problem. I just installed .570 and I've noticed the problem is significantly curtailed.

Anyone else notice it?
    05-20-11 04:29 PM
    Well, I know a few people said that a software fix was impossible for a hardware problem. I just installed .570 and I've noticed the problem is significantly curtailed.

Anyone else notice it?
    Definitely noticed it. .546 is the first OS I noticed with this effect on my keyboard. Pretty awesome.
    05-20-11 05:38 PM
    To those who said coding couldn't fix the hardware problem, we still love you
    05-20-11 05:45 PM
    highline, you are missing the point here. the problem totally has to do with hardware. the metal taps in the keypad membrane wear down and the raised "dimples" they sit in also wear. this creates bad contacts with the metal discs on the PCB which in turn create the extra letters.

you can try lowering the keyrate in the settings menu as your "software fix" but it wont do anything. im going to replace my keypad membrane on my 9700 later and take pics to show you. have you even ever replaced it or seen what im talking about??? apparently not since you would undertand what we mean by a hardware issue.
    05-20-11 11:01 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD