Greetings everyone!
    1st off history:
    Purchased this device (unlocked) from a trusted co-worker who complained the phone would disconnect when answering a call.
    Discovery:
    Battery dead & swelled - replaced. Software corrupted - replaced withe Verizon 4. something the only version available in Oshawa, ON, Canada without giving email & personal info up. Since updated v5.0.0419(platform 4.2.0.179)
    Network Service:
    Fido PAYG sim, signed up for PAYG data package.
    Problem:
    It won't connect to data or will it show wifi in the menu. Took it to Fido and they tried to no avail. Suggested that the BB was either defective or reported stolen. The former owner denies these notions as rubbish and it did connect to his Rogers network.
    So now here is a storm on my Fido account with a Verizon software that works perfect for text & voice but will not register or download service books & whatever else.
    Question:
    Is there anyway to check that this device is blocked from data?
    Is this a Fido issue or a sim card issue ?

It is late so no hurry, your advice or direction is welcome at anytime!
    04-23-11 10:56 PM
    you dont have to give the correct info to download the os from rim. also im not 100% sure that the PAYG data is blackberry compatible. just my thoughts
    04-23-11 11:08 PM
    Thanks for the reply Vassosman!
    you dont have to give the correct info to download the os from rim. also im not 100% sure that the PAYG data is blackberry compatible. just my thoughts
    I know the info part now.. Fido never sold the Storm 9530 and therefore does not supply the OS. In fact in my region only Bell, Rogers & Telus offer the OS but you have to fill out the info form to get it. Verizon was the only vendor that did not require info.
    RE: Fido PAYG BB Compatible
    According to tech support it is if i switched to a monthly PAYG plan, which i did. Two hours on the phone with 3 different techs and an hour at the Fido store trying to sort out the problem yielded the suggestion that (A) The BB was defective or (B) the devise had been reported to RIM as lost or stolen. Apparently rim can block data in that case?
    Im not confident in Fido tech support so you maybe right, My 8700 BB would not connect either but will to Rogers last year, which is the same network. I guess thats the next step, take the Storm to Rogers and have them test it.. if they will?
    Im happy with Fido otherwise and besides, I now have about $60. in airtime good to June after they refunded my data add-on cash on account. Just want to make sure the 9530 is not defective or blocked before i do it!

Cheers!
    04-24-11 10:14 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD