I recently heard of a kindergarten class in the states getting iPads. I think the technology of a tablet is awesome but I personally feel it's way to early to be getting kids to be doing their learning on this. I do however not know how they would be using them. They may just be using them for simple things like little games that they can run to keep them entertained for 30 minutes.

In my opinion kids need to be learning how to spell without the aid of spell check and learn to write with a pen/pencil and paper before learning how to type on a computer. I've always thought you should learn things the hard way before learning the shortcuts. I may be behind the times though : )

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-23-11 03:02 AM
    No, it's good that they become technologically proficient and it will help them a lot in the future.

Spell check does teach the kid how to spell, faster than consulting a dictionary or turning in a spelling quiz and getting it back. If they spell it wrong, they instant recognition of the mistake and see the correct spelling. That is good. It is hard to touch type if you are a bad speller. You end up spending more time correcting mistakes than anything - although Word has pretty good Autocorrect.

The sky is not falling. Teachers still teach and people still learn to read, write, and spell... Seriously.
    04-23-11 03:47 AM
    Won't be long until we all have nanites in our brains so we don't even have to go to schoole. It's 2011 brah.
    04-23-11 03:52 AM
    It is 2011 and technology is a huge part of everyday life. I could see them implementing the use of tablets instead of text books. I'm sure everyone would love having one tablet instead of a backpack full of books.

Also I want to clear up the thing about reading writing and so on. I know that teachers will continue to teach that. Who knows how long that will continue though.

Should be interesting to see what becomes of these new tablets in world, especially education.

04-23-11 04:18 AM
    I always wonder how many of those Ipads will be dropped on the floor by careless kids. Costing taxpayers thousands of dollars in replacement Ipads.
    04-23-11 04:29 AM
    I recently heard of a kindergarten class in the states getting iPads. I think the technology of a tablet is awesome but I personally feel it's way to early to be getting kids to be doing their learning on this. I do however not know how they would be using them. They may just be using them for simple things like little games that they can run to keep them entertained for 30 minutes.

In my opinion kids need to be learning how to spell without the aid of spell check and learn to write with a pen/pencil and paper before learning how to type on a computer. I've always thought you should learn things the hard way before learning the shortcuts. I may be behind the times though : )

We don't need to continue raising the public education system with these overpriced gimmicks. Give em free lunch too and free after school programs while the welfare parents watch tv all day and sell their foodstamps for cigs and malt 40s.

04-23-11 04:51 AM
    No, it's good that they become technologically proficient and it will help them a lot in the future.

Spell check does teach the kid how to spell, faster than consulting a dictionary or turning in a spelling quiz and getting it back. If they spell it wrong, they instant recognition of the mistake and see the correct spelling. That is good. It is hard to touch type if you are a bad speller. You end up spending more time correcting mistakes than anything - although Word has pretty good Autocorrect.

The sky is not falling. Teachers still teach and people still learn to read, write, and spell... Seriously.
    You certainly wouldn't know that from reading a LOT of blog posts and forum threads online. It really is not hard to tell the age (for the most part) of the poster just by their lack of grammar and poor spelling.
    04-23-11 04:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD