If you're on the fence about either and have questions you would like answered, lemme know!
    04-22-11 07:52 PM
    Did you read any Xoom reviews before buying? I read a critical review on Engadget which turned me against the Xoom. After buying a Playbook and concluding that the reviews were overly critical, now I wonder the same about the Xoom. Maybe its better than the critics let on?
    04-22-11 09:30 PM
    i traded my xoom for a playbook..
    so many faults with the xoom
    04-22-11 09:35 PM
    The xoom is overpriced, heavy, big, missing hardware. I know the playbook is missing software but it actually came with all its bits and pieces. The worse part of the xoom is the screen its horrible.
    04-22-11 09:41 PM
    what hardware is missing from the xoom?
    04-22-11 09:42 PM
    If you're on the fence about either and have questions you would like answered, lemme know!
    On the xoom do tabs within the browser multitask, can you stream audio or video in a tab then jump to another tab and the audio or video keeps playing and can be heard?
    04-22-11 09:49 PM
    Firstly, the critics get paid to "criticize" and I won't go into what their motives and biases are but suffice it to say, there are few people who can objectively review something.
    I read many reviews about all of the up and coming tabs and I really wanted the Xoom but held off because I wanted the PB. I despise apple and all the conformists that follow them and their products so that is why I don't have an ipad.

I now own a PB and after 24hrs, I went out and purchased a Xoom. I am waaaaay disappointed in RIM. I have been a blackberry fan/enthusiast for years but I really feel that this is rushed and could very well hurt their sales.
    I fully plan on returning my PB on Monday.

I am a business owner and wanted this as a Business tool as well as for entertainment but in it's present state, it satisfies NONE of these needs.

1. The wifi is very flaky and drops in and out (yes, i'm close enough to my router)

2. I cannot connect to my comcast email accounts unless I submit twice (I get an error, then it asks if I would like to retry, then connects). This is through the browser.

3. The power button sticks

4. Who can read a book or even a thread in portrait view?? Really?? Maybe if you scroll left to right.

5. My battery life NEVER got above 85%!!!! Yea yea yea, some say battery calibration.....should I spend $750 on a tablet with 6 apps, no native email, daily updates and still have to contend with "battery calibration"?

6. The browser is glitchy and does not allow me to select certain fields. Then loads, loads, reloads and reloads again.

7. There is suppose to be a touch sensitive frame around the screen but I have yet to see it.

8. There is no way to view netflix (personal gripe for me) not even through the browser.

9. When I watch a video full screen, there is a white line at the far right edge of the screen, like a bleed over from the circuitry or something. It's not cracked or anything like that, it just comes and goes.

10. Every once in a while, the same line is at the top but in blue.

11. There is NO tab button on the keyboard!!!! Really??

These are all of MY gripes but I am sure there are a fair number of people who have some of the same issues and are hiding behind the excuse that SOMEDAY this will be a great tablet.
    I'm sure someday it will, but until then, I bought a Xoom (now with flash, a netflix app on the way and a TAB button on the keyboard) for $200 less.

Everyone can complain all they want about the xoom being inferior but honestly, right now in the Playbooks present form is the PB really better? Really?

Sorry, I respect all on this forum and don't dare try to tell you what to do, these are just my opinions and findings.

Much respect.
    04-23-11 10:53 PM
    The xoom is overpriced, heavy, big, missing hardware. I know the playbook is missing software but it actually came with all its bits and pieces. The worse part of the xoom is the screen its horrible.
    I like the portability of the PB, but it comes at a price....tough to read in portrait mode.
    The screen resolution on the PB is awesome and the Xoom certainly pales in comparison but I can live with that since I can watch hulu, cbs, xfinity and soon.....NETFLIX!!!!

The PB may actually come with good fiddly bits but lacks an XD slot and is still quite unstable.

I do love the built in screen capture on PB though!!
    04-23-11 10:59 PM
    i traded my xoom for a playbook..
    so many faults with the xoom
    WOW, you thought the Xoom had faults!? It does, but what do you think about the PB? Certainly no swiss watch......
    04-23-11 11:00 PM
    Firstly, the critics get paid to "criticize" and I won't go into what their motives and biases are but suffice it to say, there are few people who can objectively review something.
    I read many reviews about all of the up and coming tabs and I really wanted the Xoom but held off because I wanted the PB. I despise apple and all the conformists that follow them and their products so that is why I don't have an ipad.

I now own a PB and after 24hrs, I went out and purchased a Xoom. I am waaaaay disappointed in RIM. I have been a blackberry fan/enthusiast for years but I really feel that this is rushed and could very well hurt their sales.

I am a business owner and wanted this as a Business tool as well as for entertainment but in it's present state, it satisfies NONE of these needs.

1. The wifi is very flaky and drops in and out (yes, i'm close enough to my router)

2. I cannot connect to my comcast email accounts unless I submit twice (I get an error, then it asks if I would like to retry, then connects). This is through the browser.

4. Who can read a book or even a thread in portrait view?? Really?? Maybe if you scroll left to right.

5. My battery life NEVER got above 85%!!!! Yea yea yea, some say battery calibration.....should I spend $750 on a tablet with 6 apps, no native email, daily updates and still have to contend with "battery calibration"?

6. The browser is glitchy and does not allow me to select certain fields. Then loads, loads, reloads and reloads again.

7. There is suppose to be a touch sensitive frame around the screen but I have yet to see it.

8. There is no way to view netflix (personal gripe for me) not even through the browser.

9. When I watch a video full screen, there is a white line at the far right edge of the screen, like a bleed over from the circuitry or something. It's not cracked or anything like that, it just comes and goes.

These are all of MY gripes but I am sure there are a fair number of people who have some of the same issues and are hiding behind the excuse that SOMEDAY this will be a great tablet.
    I'm sure someday it will, but until then, I bought a Xoom (now with flash, a netflix app on the way and a TAB button on the keyboard) for $200 less.

Everyone can complain all they want about the xoom being inferior but honestly, right now in the Playbooks present form is the PB really better? Really?

Sorry, I respect all on this forum and don't dare try to tell you what to do, these are just my opinions and findings.

Much respect.
    1My WiFi never drops....you need a new one or better router
    2Comcast sucks so why is this an issue....
    3Power button sticks like kids eating food playing with their joysticks....wash hands or get a new one
    4The ebooks are fine on PB...are you just a whiner???
    5My batter got to 100 and down to 14 before i charged it.....get a new one or just whine
    6get a new one
    7My side bars are sensitive....wash your hands or get a new one
    8netflix has workaround like other tablets...
    9&10White or blue lines...get a new one
    11Tab is convenient but no make or break just software fix...how often is it REALLY used

STOP WHINNING.....name a tablet that can do what the Playbook does on its first revision? without APPS?
    04-23-11 11:08 PM

Much respect.
    1. Others have posted wifi was bad but those seem to be bad units. You should get yours replaced.

2. Could be related to flaky wifi... dont know and havent heard of this problem before.

3. The power button can be a pain but never sticks as far as i know. Again a replacement would fix that.

4. Reading books is fine. You are supposed to use the browser in landscape it works very well for threads that way. **** Im typing on mine right now

5. That battery must be bad. Mine has always charged to 100% some report theirs charges only to 97%

6. That may be because the browser does sometimes pick up clicks of links near entry fields. The browser has to be polished a bit. They keyboard disapearing before you finish typing is due to elements on the page loading. Press the x and then type and all will be well since it stops loading. It's a pain but it happens on my ipod touch too. I am also fairly sure it will be fixed

7. The bezel is touch sensitive. The entire area around the screen is used for gestures as described in the tutorial. The entire front, even the non screen part of the playbook is touch sensitive.

8. I cannot be sure but i believe a silverlight update is coming since netflix doesnt use flash. It uses silverlight. Double check with others since im not sure.

9. That is very strange never happened, get a replacement.

10. Get a replacement is all I can say.

11. Sorry, RIM didn't think it a very demanded feature I guess.

Get a replacement though and try again. I have not had any problems with my first playbook. I really like it and you might too if you give a new one a try.
    04-23-11 11:10 PM
    On the xoom do tabs within the browser multitask, can you stream audio or video in a tab then jump to another tab and the audio or video keeps playing and can be heard?
    I just tried to bring up multiple you tube vids and when you select one, then play, it goes full screen automatically.
    If you want to select the other tab, you have to back arrow to the original browser screen where are of your "tabs" are and select another desired page.

Oh, the browser also has tabs at the top for easy navigation between open pages, vs the ipad which makes you open the "open pages screen" or the PB which makes you "drop down" to view open pages.

Mozilla 4 is also available for the Xoom
    04-23-11 11:10 PM
    3Power button sticks like kids eating food playing with their joysticks....wash hands or get a new one
    5My batter got to 100 and down to 14 before i charged it.....get a new one or just whine
    6get a new one
    11Tab is convenient but no make or break just software fix...how often is it REALLY used

STOP WHINNING.....name a tablet that can do what the Playbook does on its first revision? without APPS?
    Let him whine he payed for it after all and if he had a bad experience he can tell us though... You were a bit harsh with him there with your points don't you think?
    04-23-11 11:12 PM
    They tried to sell me xoom instead of a playbook but... it was laggy from the ui to the browser and truthfully i would never carry that around, id rather buy a netbook...

EDIT: Don't get me wrong I was rooting for the xoom since it was leaked but it just isn't enough to pull me on the 10" wagon.
    04-23-11 11:15 PM
    I currently also have a xoom and PB... iPad2 as well.

I'm also happy to answer questions,
    04-23-11 11:16 PM
    6get a new one

Damn.....It's not like I insulted your mother.......smoke something, chill and come back. There are plenty of threads for you to get offended on and take personally, this one is my opinion and also a comparison for those who were/are on the fence.

My wifi is fine and my hands are clean. But thanks for the concern.
    04-23-11 11:16 PM
    How would you guys say flash performance is on both devices? Which tends to scroll webpages with flash smoother? Which plays the actual flash smoother?
    04-23-11 11:18 PM
    1. Others have posted wifi was bad but those seem to be bad units. You should get yours replaced.

2. Could be related to flaky wifi... dont know and havent heard of this problem before.

3. The power button can be a pain but never sticks as far as i know. Again a replacement would fix that.

4. Reading books is fine. You are supposed to use the browser in landscape it works very well for threads that way. **** Im typing on mine right now

5. That battery must be bad. Mine has always charged to 100% some report theirs charges only to 97%

6. That may be because the browser does sometimes pick up clicks of links near entry fields. The browser has to be polished a bit. They keyboard disapearing before you finish typing is due to elements on the page loading. Press the x and then type and all will be well since it stops loading. It's a pain but it happens on my ipod touch too. I am also fairly sure it will be fixed

7. The bezel is touch sensitive. The entire area around the screen is used for gestures as described in the tutorial. The entire front, even the non screen part of the playbook is touch sensitive.

8. I cannot be sure but i believe a silverlight update is coming since netflix doesnt use flash. It uses silverlight. Double check with others since im not sure.

9. That is very strange never happened, get a replacement.

10. Get a replacement is all I can say.

11. Sorry, RIM didn't think it a very demanded feature I guess.

Get a replacement though and try again. I have not had any problems with my first playbook. I really like it and you might too if you give a new one a try.
    Agreeable....Hulu worked for the pb before they blocked it so its not RIMS fault....Get a new one as i have said before and you
    04-23-11 11:21 PM
    Be respectful of others opinions.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
    04-23-11 11:23 PM
    Let him whine he payed for it after all and if he had a bad experience he can tell us though... You were a bit harsh with him there with your points don't you think?
    It wasn't harsh....it was point blank as he told it.....

It may have been his point of view but to give such a review after 24hrs....now what would you call that.... Paint takes almost that much time before you can make a true opinion about it...lol

If it flat out don't work i can understand but to make an effort to come to a website and make a comment on a 24hr test drive is a harsh assessment.....lol
    04-23-11 11:26 PM
    How would you guys say flash performance is on both devices? Which tends to scroll webpages with flash smoother? Which plays the actual flash smoother?
    Xoom is too laggy to compare from the devices i have seen...
    04-23-11 11:27 PM
    Short and sweet:

owned a xoom returned it. Screen IS washed out, colors are not sharp like the ipad or playbook. The os is ok, but gmail crashed alot and the browser did to. The xoom is unfinished and flash was ok at best though I know flash "should" get better, the flash on the playbook is solid NOW. I couldn't even go to youtube site and change the resolution etc, some flash players wouldn't respond like that. Plus there was alot of lag in the android 3.0 os, don't know why. I tried the sites the xoom failed on, on the playbook demo and it rocked them, hard. The playbook is smaller, but the cpu is better, and screen is better, the speakers are better and the whole os is better. Flash just works. I hope android 3.0 does well when/if google updates it, but the playbook smokes the xoom. I have no regrets returning he xoom and getting the playbook. NONE. The playbook is a better tablet, more polished even with RIM fixing things and you feel the polish when using it. I don't' have any thoughts of hitting a site on the playbook, they render perfectly and the colors and detail pop with great flash. Can't wait for more os improvements and more apps.
    Last edited by sandmanfvr; 04-23-11 at 11:39 PM.
    04-23-11 11:37 PM

It may have been his point of view but to give such a review after 24hrs....now what would you call that.... Paint takes almost that much time before you can make a true opinion about it...lol

If it flat out don't work i can understand but to make an effort to come to a website and make a comment on a 24hr test drive is a harsh assessment.....lol
    Yes but if his opinion was a good one it would not be too short of a time and no one would mind the review. Besides he had valid solid complaints.... although mostly due to what seems to be a bad device which needs to be replaced.

I must say I do love my playbook though
    DaNomadicOne likes this.
    04-23-11 11:37 PM

Don't worry, my feelings weren't hurt but it seems like I yours were.

My assessment may only have less than 24 hrs time in it but that is just nicking the surface. If I cam up with that off the bat, then it's not the right tab for me. I'm not saying its a POS, I'm just saying RIGHT NOW, it's lack luster. I may re-buy in about 4 months.
    Also,
    The thread was a comparison not a bashing.
    04-23-11 11:39 PM
    Ok can we forget the whole bashing\not bashing and just compare? Lets just pretend it never happened. On topic after this post ok everyone?
    04-23-11 11:43 PM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD