This is not a troll post. I am curious to see if anyone is so dissatisfied with their Playbook that they're actually going to return it rather than wait for software updates to fill in the current shortcomings with the Playbook...

Right now, I'm not in the best financial situation, but, I'm a diehard BlackBerry user. I hate knowing that the Playbook is finally here and I don't have one. When a new BlackBerry phone is released, I'm in line buying the new model on day one.

Having said that, I'm wondering if I would be better off waiting even if I had money burning a hole in my pocket. I'm well aware of the shortcomings of the device and I could probably make due right now, but sometimes that's easy to say when you're excited about something - then when you get home and play with the device for a day or two, you realize you wish you waited.

So, again...I'm not looking for people to bash the device. Likewise, anyone who thinks the device is perfect right now is delusional. With frequent OS upgrades, the Playbook will eventually be an awesome device.

Has anyone reached the conclusion that you're going to return the device and wait for the improvements rather than settle for the device in its current state? If so, could you please tell me what exactly made you decide that it wasn't worth owning at the moment? What were the one or two things that you realized you couldn't live without and therefore determined there was no reason to own the Playbook yet?

Thanks for the input!

ALB

EDIT: I should have also added, I'm sure there are plenty of people who haven't bought the Playbook yet because they have reservations about what is currently missing from the device. To be honest, I'm really only interested in hearing from people who've purchased a Playbook, used it for a couple days and then reached the conclusion that the Playbook wasn't right for them yet...
    Last edited by alb123; 04-22-11 at 11:38 AM.
    04-22-11 11:36 AM
    im not disatisfied with mine but its defective cause sometimes the tiuchscreen wontregister. so its going back today.

still undecided if im gonna get my ipad 2 or playbook
    04-22-11 11:39 AM
    Not me, bought 2 of them and keeping both. Waiting for great updates and this will be a force to recon with.
    04-22-11 11:40 AM
    Love mine so far
    04-22-11 11:40 AM
    I purchased mine and haven't looked back! The bridge works great with my BB and also works on wifi. With any new device you always have a break in period and no other device sync's with my BB like this! Go buy one!
    04-22-11 11:43 AM
    yes i am getting used to bridge, I am finally using task feature.
    04-22-11 11:44 AM
    Thanks for the input guys. From what I've seen so far, I think I'd probably be just fine with BlackBerry Bridge. Like I said, I am aware of the shortcomings - yet, I know RIM is invested heavily in this device and I expect them to go full-throttle with OS updates.

I definitely won't be making a decision in the next couple of days, so I'm hoping to get as much feedback as I can.

Thank you...
    KurtisBertolami likes this.
    04-22-11 11:46 AM
    Nope. Love what I see so far, and willing to wait for future upgrades to add what I would like to see that is currently missing.
    04-22-11 11:46 AM
    I haven't had alot of the issues that others are having. So, I'm happy with mine. Already thinking of getting my wife one as well.

I think for the most part (for me) the internet needs to catch up with the new OS. By that I mean, some of the sites I goto don't work on the PB. Like MLB.TV, Netflix..etc. Once they recognize the PBs browser, all will be good.

As someone else stated on here somewhere. We are early adopters. There are going to be bugs. I'm willing to be patient. With two OS updates is as many days. I know RIM is working on it, which makes me okay with my odd glitch.
    04-22-11 11:47 AM
    I love mine. Ive referred to mine as "my baby" enough that my employees and my wife call it that too.
    04-22-11 11:47 AM
    I WAS in the same boat as you. I'm moving in 20 days and need every penny I can get. I just didn't have the money for it and I was dying knowing I would not be able to afford it for at least a year. Then my wonderful significant other surprised me on release day...

No way would I return it. Because while it's not by any means perfect, RIM is pretty good about pushing out new updates. Especially on a new device. I loooove this thing!

You could wait a couple months, by then there should be some new cool apps and a lot of issues fixed. The you can have the peace of mind that you WILL get it soon enough, and you can have the time to scrape the pennies.
    04-22-11 11:48 AM
    Did you miss all the other threads addressing this subject? Many people have already sounded off!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Not perfect yet but a great device. I've had an ipad but I prefer the playbook. In time, this will be an amazing device. If finances are tight, then wait a couple of months, but I wouldn't wait too long.
    I'm waiting for more features but I'm certainly not at a point to return it. Its only going to get better with time and updates.
    04-22-11 11:49 AM
    So far so good...for the most part. It really does need native email, or the bridge version fixed. Yes I can read and reply to email via the bridge in basic scenarios but its not a 'complete' experience by far.

The browser is quite nice and the screen is great. I check App World numerous times a day and the selection is growing so thats another positive.

The PlayBook has a lot of potential but with only 10 days left on my grace period to return mine I'm honestly still undecided. The next 10 days I'll be using this as much as possible to give it the fairest chance I can before deciding.
    04-22-11 11:54 AM
    You would have to pry it out of my cold dead hands.
    Zwickliffe likes this.
    04-22-11 11:56 AM
    Look, the shortcomings really aren't that bad. There are enough apps out there for NOW to leave you satisfied. More will come very soon. Out of the box it is a very solid device. Browser is better than any I have used on any mobile device. Camera is the best quality of any device I have ever seen. Best hardware of any device out there really. Bridge works great (seems to have gotten more responsive with last night's update). BBM will come soon...and I am willing to wait until then. Android apps will also be coming soon. The only annoyance I have is the fact that ghost armor is not getting the protection screen for another few weeks...lol. I'm just scared of scratching this amazing screen. I have kept the annoying plastic on there.

Now when thinking about buying this device, you really have to ask yourself one question...do you feel you can be patient enough for all the good things to come? It is great out of the box as I have said, but some great features will come in time. If you feel you can be patient, buy the device now, as there are only a few software bugs...which are getting fixed with daily updates (best part!). No carrier interference allows them to get the updates to us almost right away...leading to near daily updates. There is also plenty to play around with while we wait! Overall though, this device is not as "unpolished" as some people claim. It is very solid. I love it. Not perfect yet, but I love it and it will improve with some time.
    04-22-11 12:02 PM
    Only thing i hate is the playbook is too small for kids to use or do presentations on. this is where ipad excels.
    04-22-11 12:05 PM
    Quick question, would you guys & gals be happy with your purchase if bridge was the only way you could use it? Wifi isn't an option for me but if bridge browsing works godd I would buy one

04-22-11 12:09 PM
    Only thing i hate is no native email. Very surprised it wasnt included at launch knowing how Rimm is about email. kinda shocked actually. Other then that i am impressed.
    04-22-11 12:11 PM
    Quick question, would you guys & gals be happy with your purchase if bridge was the only way you could use it? Wifi isn't an option for me but if bridge browsing works godd I would buy one

Absolutely not. Bridge is wayyyy to slow. if they can optimize the speed maybe. No way i could surf the net without Wifi.
    04-22-11 12:13 PM
    I look at the playbook right now as a super-beta for early adopters. I think the hardware kicks *** and the QNX OS is a great foundation. Give it 3-6 months and it will be so much more. If you can't afford it now, waiting even a month or 2 will get you a more functional device. Functional in terms of apps and upgrades. It's all in software now, easy to update. I bet in the fall is when we'll see RIM starting with more of a consumer push, as more consumer apps are built. I'm enjoying my playbook (and my 11 year old daughter LOVES it, and she also has an ipod touch), but I am definitely wanting and waiting for necessary apps.
    04-22-11 12:19 PM
    I was extremely unhappy when I first got it on Tuesday. It was so "F'd" up that I was enraged. I returned to BB and exchanged it for a new one. Knock on wood, it seems to be up and running. tI was a little bit quirky and it clearly still has some issues, but if its any indication of my mindset, this morning I installed the screen protector on it. I'm hoping for the best, which most of the people with more knowledge than I, seem to be predicting.
    04-22-11 12:43 PM
    So far so good...for the most part. It really does need native email, or the bridge version fixed. Yes I can read and reply to email via the bridge in basic scenarios but its not a 'complete' experience by far.

The browser is quite nice and the screen is great. I check App World numerous times a day and the selection is growing so thats another positive.

The PlayBook has a lot of potential but with only 10 days left on my grace period to return mine I'm honestly still undecided. The next 10 days I'll be using this as much as possible to give it the fairest chance I can before deciding.
    Thanks for the honest reply. If you do decide to return it, please drop another response in this thread and let me know what the straw was that broke the camels back for you. I would appreciate it!
    04-22-11 12:47 PM
    Only thing i hate is the playbook is too small for kids to use or do presentations on. this is where ipad excels.
    I disagree. If I need to show something to a larger group of people - plug it into any TV with HDMI. Try that with iPad.
    04-22-11 01:03 PM
177 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD