Hey everybody.

I'm having a slight problem with a bb 9700 that I have recently taken over.
    I wiped the phone and with the help of the desktop software copied all my data from my 9000 to this 9700, the only issue I'm having is with bbm.

When I try restore my contact list on the 9700 it wants me to re-invite all my contacts. IS their anyway around this or do I just need to bite the bullet.

Thanks.
    04-22-11 03:52 AM
    was your list backed up remotely in your old phone through email?

if so, the minute your new phone re-registers on the new phone and your BIS plan is detected, BBM should automatically restore your list within a few minutes. if not, plug your SIM into your old phone. then go through the steps of manually backing up your BBM contacts remotely through the BBM options menu. then once thats done, put your SIM into your new phone, and power it up. log into BIS and resend your service books so the new phone will be registered on the network. then go into BBM and select to restore the list from remote backup. give it a few minutes and see if it works.
    Kweku#CB likes this.
    04-22-11 04:51 AM
    (...)
    When I try restore my contact list on the 9700 it wants me to re-invite all my contacts.(...)
    I'd say it is perfectly normal. As BBM is PIN based, and you have changed your device, thus changed your PIN, you should re-invite all your contacts, otherwise they still have your username connected to the PIN of your old 9000.

I am not aware of any workaround.
    04-22-11 05:13 AM
    I'd say it is perfectly normal. As BBM is PIN based, and you have changed your device, thus changed your PIN, you should re-invite all your contacts, otherwise they still have your username connected to the PIN of your old 9000.

I am not aware of any workaround.
    not if you use Device Switch Wizard through Desktop Manager and it is done properly. it will automatically carry over your list and *should* send PIN updates to all contacts. no one should even realize you switched phones and the transition between devices should be seemless.

the email backup and restore should work just the same. it should automatically begin restoring the list once a BIS connection with the email address you registered the back ups with has been established on the new device.
    PiotrJot likes this.
    04-22-11 05:27 AM
    not if you use Device Switch Wizard through Desktop Manager and it is done properly. it will automatically carry over your list and *should* send PIN updates to all contacts. no one should even realize you switched phones and the transition between devices should be seemless.

the email backup and restore should work just the same. it should automatically begin restoring the list once a BIS connection with the email address you registered the back ups with has been established on the new device.
    Thanks for the tip!
    04-22-11 06:08 AM
    Hello,

I am thinking of doing the same thing as the OP. My contract just ended with AT&T and rather than renew, I'd like to buy a 9700 on the market and move from my beloved 9000.

Is there a sticky for this type of transition anywhere on the site? If not, can someone give me a rundown of what is required for a seamless transition, any "caveats" I need to know about, opinions on the move, etc.?

Thanks in advance!

-------------------

AT&T / Bold 9000 / 4.6.0.304
    04-22-11 09:07 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD