How-To: Stream Video/Music from your Mac/PC to your Playbook

I've put together a little video here showing how to use Orb to stream your movies/tv shows and music from your computer.

First step is to get Orb from here (it's free for both Mac and Windows) and get it installed and set up.
    Download - Orb

Video link:

As an update, Ive created an Orb launcher app, that you can run from your homescreen and contains shortcuts at the top to the different categories. It always keeps the backlight on so you dont need to change your settings before watching a video or tapping the screen. Ill be submitting it to AppWorld tonight, so hopefully it will be available in the next week or 2.

teambs, celler, Setanta and 52 others like this.
    04-21-11 09:31 PM
    Totally awesome!! Finally...I can get to my 4 TB drive.

THANK YOU!!!
    04-21-11 09:41 PM
    thanks for giving me tonights project!
    04-21-11 10:22 PM
    Good stuff. Much appreciated.

Works like a charm.....(apart from the large text )

Thanks!!
    04-21-11 10:58 PM
    I can see how you thought of this.
    The playbook being able to load the flash based ORB.com, Cant believe i didnt think of it :/
    04-21-11 11:12 PM
    I just wanted to say thank you so very much.

As a developer I'm still waiting for my free developer playbook, and I was pretty excited about it....but now I'm ecstatic!

Coming from an older iPad and iPhone, one of my dealbreakers was the ability to use AirVideo to stream my entire video collection to my phone and ipad and now that I can do that on my playbook I'm never going back to the iPad (already been sold)

I totally forgot about Orb, thanks a ton!

I literally created an account after I read this thread to thank you
    04-21-11 11:36 PM
    So wait do you have to be on the same wifi or can you access the visor from anywhere?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-21-11 11:39 PM
    Anywhere you'd like as long as you have an internet connection
    04-21-11 11:48 PM
    I forgot about orb too! I used it a long time ago. Glad it's working on the PB!
    04-22-11 01:19 AM
    Sweet, gonna try this once I get home.
    04-22-11 09:33 AM
    ok...so it looks like I need some help!

I downloaded orb to my mac. On my playbook I went to mycast.orb.com and it asks me for s user name and password. When I downloaded orb to my mac it never asked me to register. What am I missing? Do I need to download addtional software?

Edit: when I click on the Orb icon on my mac nothing happens...
    Last edited by jdubrr; 04-22-11 at 07:44 PM.
    04-22-11 07:42 PM
    do you see the orb icon loaded on your mac?
    on the pc, you have to go into the orb control panel and check the box to allow remote user. once, you do that, if you don't already have an account, it prompts you to create one.
    04-22-11 07:45 PM
    yes. I see the icon, but when I click on it nothing happens...
    04-22-11 07:46 PM
    figured it out.. thanks!!
    04-22-11 08:08 PM
    very cool! Thanks!!

Update: hmm. i just ran into a problem. so as i'm streaming a song right now after 2 mins or so my playbook times out and goes to sleep if i'm not doing anything on it. The song is running in the background but as the 2 mins comes the playbook goes to sleep mode by itself and the song stops playing. Obviously when you are listening to a song a lot of the times that's all you are doing and not browsing the internet or doing whatever else on the playbook. How do I get it to stream in the background without stopping when the playbook "sleeps."
    Last edited by jaxterz; 04-22-11 at 08:33 PM.
    04-22-11 08:28 PM
    so when i select to play a song that is mp3 it asks me to save it? why? is there something im missing? i even zoomed in to make sure im clicking on play.
    04-22-11 09:46 PM
    this what i see...any ideas?
    04-22-11 10:23 PM
    So, if you're on your local network, does this send the video over the interent, or just push it through local wifi?

I'm just concerned about my upstream bandwidth (and down too I guess) if this all gets pushed through the interent.

Thanks
    04-22-11 11:15 PM
    So, if you're on your local network, does this send the video over the interent, or just push it through local wifi?

I'm just concerned about my upstream bandwidth (and down too I guess) if this all gets pushed through the interent.

Thanks
    This. I don't want to send it over the net and I saw in the video streamed in the demo, frame rate was smooth.
    04-22-11 11:26 PM
    Thanks ..setting this up right now ..
    04-22-11 11:42 PM
    <edit> lamnguyen solved the issue I originally posted (see below)
    Last edited by MisterMe11; 04-23-11 at 01:21 AM. Reason: issue solved
    04-23-11 12:57 AM
    this what i see...any ideas?
    when you first goto the myorb.orb.com, in the bottom middle of the screen after logging in is a section for settings, if you follow the video verbatim, you would have set your stream to 'flash'. now everything plays and it doesn't ask you to save.
    MisterMe11 and DjGenuine like this.
    04-23-11 01:03 AM
    Great instructional Youtube video! Extremely useful.. And an awesome new 'feature' on the PlayBook!
    04-25-11 10:34 AM
    so wait someguy said it was going to sleep after 2 minutes... If i stream a 2h movie, will it go to sleep?
    04-25-11 11:15 AM
    so wait someguy said it was going to sleep after 2 minutes... If i stream a 2h movie, will it go to sleep?
    Not if you change the setting not to.
    04-25-11 12:03 PM
112 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD