As I was looking over the forums, I recalled my Tour. I realized that if I had not taken advantage of the shortage of Refurb Tours last June, I would probaby still be on a Tour and fighting with defective trackball issues.

I jumped at that interval when Verizon ran short of replacement Tours and got the Bold. I got an apology from the Verizon rep when he told me that no Tours were available and would I accept the Bold. I hesitated briefly and he said I could wait till Tours were in. I quickly thanked him and said I would accept the Bold.

Seriously each time I use the Bold with slightly soiled fingers I thank my luck stars.

Well, just wanted to post this.
    04-21-11 07:50 PM
    Nice post F2. It would have been even better if you could have gotten a written apology from them.
    04-21-11 07:54 PM
    "Would you accept the Bold" in lieu of the Bold? Gee, reps ask some of the dumbest questions, sometimes. "Golly, I dunno, would the folks in Hades like Ben and Jerry's for breakfast?!".

I pulled my Tour down today to charge it up and play a bit. After a few minutes, I put it back up in the cubby and thank heavens I have the Style.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-21-11 09:38 PM
    Similar situation here. I blew thru 4 Tour's (everything from trackball issues to freezing problems) and Verizon sent me a refurb'd 9650. I LOVE it!

The wifi is so convienent to have especially at work where there's no service.

Every time I think of wanting to switch from BB, I'm reminded how much I love my BOLD!
    Blackberry 4 life!

04-21-11 11:58 PM
    I replaced my Tour that I had for four months. I had gone thru a few Tours and I was able to swap for a new Bold on release day last June.

04-22-11 12:34 AM
    As I was looking over the forums, I recalled my Tour. I realized that if I had not taken advantage of the shortage of Refurb Tours last June, I would probaby still be on a Tour and fighting with defective trackball issues.

I jumped at that interval when Verizon ran short of replacement Tours and got the Bold. I got an apology from the Verizon rep when he told me that no Tours were available and would I accept the Bold. I hesitated briefly and he said I could wait till Tours were in. I quickly thanked him and said I would accept the Bold.

Seriously each time I use the Bold with slightly soiled fingers I thank my luck stars.

Well, just wanted to post this.
    I got mine the same way. I saw some posts here in mid-June that talked of Tour shortages, called Big Red's advanced tech guys and the rest is history. Couldn't be happier with a phone. Well, maybe I could be happy with a Bold Touch ...
    04-22-11 09:58 AM
    I got mine the same way. I saw some posts here in mid-June that talked of Tour shortages, called Big Red's advanced tech guys and the rest is history. Couldn't be happier with a phone. Well, maybe I could be happy with a Bold Touch ...
    I do miss having a larger screen though. :\
    04-22-11 11:02 AM
    You are VERY lucky. I loved the Tour it was an absolutely beautiful device. However, the Bold is defintiely a step up. By far THE best blackberry out there in my opinion. Kudos for taking the Bold :P
    04-22-11 11:31 AM
    Now, now F2...it is not complete until you JUMP INTO OS6.

Come on now, we can't convince you yet???

Leave OS5 and join the dark side.
    04-23-11 07:58 PM
    one of these days! i almost succumb and then back off. The reboot time is one thing that tempts me. If only apps just carried over but the reinstall is purely a pain.

Just keep after me.

hope you are feeling better.
    04-23-11 11:09 PM
    one of these days! i almost succumb and then back off. The reboot time is one thing that tempts me. If only apps just carried over but the reinstall is purely a pain.

Just keep after me.

if you got your apps through app world then they would change over.

i hesitated on 6 and went back and forth between the two many many many times but in the end i found only 1 os that worked great with my bold, just like 5.0.0.975 worked flawlessly as an os5 on mine 6.0.0.524 is another one that works great with absolutely no lag on it.

give one a shot for the weekend and see if you like it. i suggest 524 but if you dont like it then you can go back to 5 for the work week.
    04-24-11 09:31 AM

Just keep after me.

Oh we are going to hound you!
    Chris makes a good point above...just give it a try and if you like the OS, then you can get your apps changed over. And we have great themes now as well for OS6...

Spring is time for re-birth! Give it a try F2!!!!
    04-24-11 09:51 AM
    I guess I'm one of the lucky ones that got a tour that is all most 2 years old and haven't had one problem with my trackball.
    04-24-11 10:03 AM
    I guess I'm one of the lucky ones that got a tour that is all most 2 years old and haven't had one problem with my trackball.
    you should play the lottery, you have some good luck.
    04-24-11 10:17 AM
    I never had an issue with my Tour, to be honest I loved it but was so happy when I got my Bold. It was a huge upgrade (I hated the track ball even though I had no issues with it). My Bold is amazing and to me BlackBerry just keeps getting better. I'll never go with anything else.
    04-25-11 04:42 PM
    you should play the lottery, you have some good luck.
    LOL wish I were that lucky!

@SB83 Now I wouldn't mind a bold but my upgrade isn't till the end of the year so I'm hoping to get one of the newer ones even if they will be obsolete just like my tour with the QNX ones coming next year.
    04-25-11 06:38 PM
    Tour is still a great device for those that use it.

Only draw backs.

Trackball
    WiFi
    and memory

But some of these things do not bother some people. They still use their device to get the job done and get it done well
    04-26-11 07:37 AM
    i have a tour and didn't have any trouble with it but i did get the 9650 for more memory and wifi.
    04-26-11 10:18 PM
    I got my bold the same way. I read the blog and called the verizon wireless rep to replace my tour. (While I was at sea world w/ my family) They sent me a bold in the mail and it arrived at my house on my birthday!!!! It was such a sweet birthday

04-27-11 07:39 AM
    Quick question, I had to file an FCC complaint to get a new phone. Even called RIM and they said the Tour had "design issues" and was being discontinued.
    They said see your cell provider for a replacement.

I went to 3 Verizon stores and everyone kept giving me yet another Tour.

When corporate finally got involved they offered to replace the phone with a similarly priced phone. But they wanted me to pay $50.

I said "screw that, I'm not paying anything extra for a problem I didn't ask for but paid $179 plus a 2 year contract for."

They agreed finally to waive the $50 but I just noticed they pulled a fast one on me and changed my contract start date from 1/2010 to 9/2010.
    I got the new phone in June 2010.
    I went with a Droid 2 because I wasn't sure how the Bold's trackpad was going to work out as it was new back then.

Now I've been fighting with Verizon for a year about this contract issue and they won't budge.

Did anyone who got a replacement phone for the Tour 9630 have to change their contract start date?

I would LOVE to know if this is happening to everyone and when it became "policy" at Verizon to swap out problematic Tour's for other devices?

I posted the question on their forums site and they took it down-interesting??

Lastly, when I started my new contract and paid for my new Tour, I went to mail in the rebate form and got a letter back stating that particular phone already received it's rebate.

Bottom line, I was given a refrub that was advertised as "NEW". I finally got the rebate but the problems with the Tour were non-stop.

I had to take the phone in almost every 30 days to the date because they couldn't fix the issues I had with the Tour. So 5 Tour's later, I have a Droid 2 and now am stuck with an extra 8 months on my contract.

Looks like it's back to the FCC. I can't wait to be done with Verizon. What a mess.
    06-23-11 02:58 PM
    We still have 4 Tours at my company running without a single issue for nearly 2 years now, couple of us "upgraded" to the Bold 9650 (I got my brand new 9650 during "Boldgate" due to an operating system problem with my 9630), but we have had several BB phones besides the Tours with trackballs and have preached to everyone about how to keep them clean and this seems to have worked. I do however look forward to a new BB with a larger screen and faster processor that can run the software better someday soon.
    06-23-11 05:05 PM
    Ha
    We still have 4 Tours at my company running without a single issue for nearly 2 years now, couple of us "upgraded" to the Bold 9650 (I got my brand new 9650 during "Boldgate" due to an operating system problem with my 9630), but we have had several BB phones besides the Tours with trackballs and have preached to everyone about how to keep them clean and this seems to have worked. I do however look forward to a new BB with a larger screen and faster processor that can run the software better someday soon.
    what I have found is if you don't use the internet much then the 9630 & 9650 don't give much trouble. To me it seems that they run out of memory surfing the internet they will slow down & you end up doing a reboot ( battery pull ) or alt+ cap+del. The 9650 is my fifth BlackBerry I have had 8130, 8330, 8530 , 9630 , 9650 & the biggest problem with them has been crappy Bowser & low memory when surfing the internet. Fix the Browser, more memory , faster CPU & I will be happy.

06-23-11 05:47 PM
    Welcome to this very happy club. Tour to Bold converts generally will not disdain the memory of the Tour, rather saying things like "I loved my Tour, except for the times when it didnt work" and "I never had a trackball problem with my Tour, when the trackball got stuck, I just got another Tour, no problem!". The added benefit of wifi just sweetens the pot. You really should at least try OS6, almost every carrier has released officially.
    06-23-11 06:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD