I'm sorry but was there some sort of fine print that I missed that said Mac users would be totally left in the dark? The PlayBook is not compatible with Mac desktop manager until the SUMMER? Is this a joke?

1 day after my purchase, my PlayBook has currently "bricked" itself (a reason in itself to return this POS) and as a Mac user, with no PC, I am left in the dark because apparently the only solution to get the Playbook past the startup screen is to plug it into desktop manager.

So my options here? 1) Buy a PC. 2) Buy Windows and put it on Bootcamp for Mac. 3) Go to a friend's house every time I have an issue where Desktop Manager needs to be involved. 4) Wait several months until "Summer" (which is defined as, when, in RIM's mind?).

I don't think so.

I can't wait to hand this piece of crap to the guys at BestBuy with it still on the "BlackBerry PlayBook" startup screen.
    boldman4 likes this.
    04-21-11 07:17 PM
    That is extremely stupid, and to think I was going to purchase a playbook..
    04-21-11 07:19 PM
    5) download VMware and use a trial of Windows?
    04-21-11 07:20 PM
    Mac users aren't "left in the dark".

Wifi sharing is mac compatible and being that desktop manager for the Playbook is basically just fancy-looking wifi sharing (all you can do is sync pictures/music/vids not fully featured like destop manager for blackberries) you're better off not having to install a bunch of crap just to put stuff on/take stuff of your playbook.

Take a look here http://forums.crackberry.com/f222/pl...utions-606454/ under "Manual Wi-Fi Sharing Procedure".
    04-21-11 07:43 PM
    Dude, you don't need that desktop manager for anything. I wasn't even planning on installing it at all.
    04-21-11 07:44 PM
    why dont you get rid of your Macintrash and get a PC :-)
    04-21-11 07:52 PM
    Dude, you don't need that desktop manager for anything. I wasn't even planning on installing it at all.
    In this case, you do need it. It's the only way to fix this problem.
    04-21-11 07:52 PM

So my options here? 1) Buy a PC. 2) Buy Windows and put it on Bootcamp for Mac. 3) Go to a friend's house every time I have an issue where Desktop Manager needs to be involved. 4) Wait several months until "Summer" (which is defined as, when, in RIM's
    why wouldn't you just buy an iPad?
    yanicmb and TopJimmy2 like this.
    04-21-11 07:53 PM
    In this case, you do need it. It's the only way to fix this problem.
    I told you how to fix your problem above. The current desktop manager for windows provides no more functions than mounting the network drive currently does.
    04-21-11 07:55 PM
    The same can be said about the iPad and development.
    04-21-11 07:56 PM
    why dont you get rid of your Macintrash and get a PC :-)
    Don't start the PC and Mac debate. They're both good. It's RIM's fault for not giving Mac support at this point.
    04-21-11 08:00 PM
    5) download VMware and use a trial of Windows?
    If RIM is expecting every Mac users to get VMWare, a copy of windows, in order to fix a bricked PB....there's a problem with their strategy of hitting the mass market.

You do, in this case.

why wouldn't you just buy an iPad?
    I am not sure why the negative comments against the OP. His concern is legitimate. If you can only debrick a PB by updating to 1705, Mac doesn't allow that, RIM is really expecting you to go out and get a PC (or get it fixed with some great hassle).

When someone mention that iPad is better, you Crackberriers bash them. When a person tried out a PB and end up not working out due to RIM's fault, you bash them back to Apple. Grow up.

I told you how to fix your problem above. The current desktop manager for windows provides no more functions than mounting the network drive currently does.
    Desktop manager allows you to update your playbook, which is critical to OP.

OP - If you would like to give PB another chance, exchange it. Otherwise wait until the summer and repurchase it. I am lucky enough to have a few macs and PC here so it's not a concern (although sync'ing with iPhoto would be stellar), but I can picture how bad it can be for someone with Mac only.
    04-21-11 08:00 PM
    I'm sure a friend with a PC would be likely to let you load DM on their machine to help you out. Just a thought.
    Cracklen likes this.
    04-21-11 08:03 PM
    I'm sure a friend with a PC would be likely to let you load DM on their machine to help you out. Just a thought.
    As true as this may be, this is not acceptable. If this is what RIM believes I should do, the package should have said "MAC USERS: BEFORE PURCHASING, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A FRIEND WITH WINDOWS".
    Cracklen and RabidCaribou like this.
    04-21-11 08:07 PM
    I'm not sure why RIM is so behind where it comes to Mac support just like DTM for Mac for BlackBerry came super late.
    04-21-11 08:09 PM
    As long as there is no cross contamination issues
    04-21-11 08:10 PM
    As true as this may be, this is not acceptable. If this is what RIM believes I should do, the package should have said "MAC USERS: BEFORE PURCHASING, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A FRIEND WITH WINDOWS".
    I agree that this is not acceptable, but it would give you a chance to use the PB for a couple of days to see if its worth it to you to hang onto it, re-purchase when Rim gets their act together or decide its not for you altogether.
    04-21-11 08:13 PM
    WTF you need DM for. Just plug the PB into the USB and transfer files. there is nothing to worth backing up until native apps arrives. by then you will get DM for the Mac.

Just pathetic lame excuse.
    04-21-11 08:14 PM
    WTF you need DM for. Just plug the PB into the USB and transfer files. there is nothing to worth backing up until native apps arrives. by then you will get DM for the Mac.

Upgrading the firmware on the PB?
    04-21-11 08:16 PM

i users are just trained to belive they have to plug into iTunes to do anything.

I kid, I kid...
    04-21-11 08:17 PM
    I can't sympathize in the LEAST with the OP, because anyone who buys ONLY Macs should KNOW that OSX doesn't have nearly as many apps available for it as does Windows. Time to stop whining about something you KNEW was an issue with Macs.
    baldanders likes this.
    04-21-11 08:19 PM
    I can't sympathize in the LEAST with the OP, because anyone who buys ONLY Macs should KNOW that OSX doesn't have nearly as many apps available for it as does Windows. Time to stop whining about something you KNEW was an issue with Macs.
    That's funny, blaming Mac for this. That doesn't make sense at all. It's not Mac's fault, it's RIM's for not giving early support for Mac.
    04-21-11 08:22 PM
    There is the way of connecting to a Mac. Via USB cable. At first my playbook had a glitch, it would not Connect even though I've keyed in right IP address. I did an OS wipe.

Now it works fine. Just connect USB cable to your MAC. On your playbook, go to ABOUT in settings. Find your IP4 number. Also go to your Storage & Sharing and turn on file sharing. Go to your MAC and "Connect to Server" and type smb//: 10.xxxx (whatever number your IP4 is). click connect. and you will have all your playbook folders. USB copying is quite slooooow though.

I hope this helps. Some others have posted it. But I had to do an OS wipe before it worked properly.
    sleepngbear likes this.
    04-21-11 08:26 PM
    anyone saying "you dont need DM" needs to stop commenting right now and apologize for being jackasses

from the sticky at the top of the forum with the known issues. Known Issue #1
    Issue 1:
    My Playbook is struck on the bootup screen?

Resolution that worked in few cases:
    Power off the Playbook.
    Plug in the USB cable into the PC and fire up the Desktop Manager.
    Plug the other end of the USB cable in to the Playbook.
    Hit the power button on the PlayBook.
    Desktop Manager should detect the 'BlackBerry Playbook' and should request you to download new software.
    Download the software and update the OS on the Playbook.
    Disconnect the Playbook when it is finished installing updates.
    Power On the Playbook and it should take a while to reboot.
    this has happened to SEVERAL people. Some of them people have spent 2-4 hours on the phone with RIM and still the "help" still doesnt seem to know how to fix it. The only known way that works for most people, not all is the process i just posted.

from our front page
    Desktop Manager for Mac Support for BlackBerry PlayBook coming this summer | CrackBerry.com

so now that is all cleared up, if you cant help the OP then probably just close the thread and move on
    jacmeister68 likes this.
    04-21-11 08:26 PM
    I agree with the OP if he has a mac and needs to debrick his PB he shouldn't have to go through all that hassle. I thing BB and any other store with a repair business should get this set up so they are prepared to fix these problems for their customers. then the OP can just drop it of for a day and get it fixed.
    04-21-11 08:38 PM
145 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD