Hi
    i bought the Playbook hoping to use it to work on my documents using Dropbox. However the Playbook app, BlueBox, has not yet been able to connect to server. Has anyone been able to get BlueBox to work? If it continues not to connect I am going to have to return the Playbook. Thanks.
    04-21-11 10:34 AM
    www.dropbox.com/votebox to vote for playbook app development
    deercreekmichael likes this.
    04-21-11 10:49 AM
    Just voted.

I really want a good native app as well. I use Dropbox extensively.
    04-21-11 11:22 AM
    Just voted.

I really want a good native app as well. I use Dropbox extensively.
    +1

10char
    04-21-11 11:48 AM
    www.dropbox.com/votebox to vote for playbook app development
    https://www.dropbox.com/votebox/4753...native-version
    Vote!

Haven't tried BlueBox yet, but I'd also like to see native db support
    deercreekmichael likes this.
    04-21-11 11:52 AM
    Until the official dropbox app comes, why not just go to the website directly. I can download/upload stuff just fine.
    Intosh likes this.
    04-21-11 12:09 PM
    Here's the link: https://www.dropbox.com/votebox/4753...native-version

Now, go vote!

Also, if you don't have dropbox, download it here: http://db.tt/cbUl0UV
    04-21-11 12:24 PM
    Just a question out of curiosity.....

For all those who use dropbox or something like it....are you using it for work purposes? If so, do your company's security policies allow you to store data byond the confines or your company's network/protection?
    04-21-11 12:37 PM
    I work with start-ups and small to medium sized enterprises. A lot of them do not have very detailed security policies setup.

So yes, I can use it for business.
    04-21-11 12:45 PM
    Can't wait till they release a native app - using the dropbox websites makes editing files way too cumbersome. Lets just hope they get on this faster than they did with the native blackberry app

@jlb21: i use it a lot for work - it keeps my laptop and desktop in sync quite nicely. As far as policy goes - we're such a small company we don't have policies to cover that kind of thing. I believe my boss even uses mesh.
    04-21-11 12:48 PM
    bluebox works (connects).. except you can't download anything, unless i just haven't been able to figure out yet..
    04-21-11 12:50 PM
    I work with start-ups and small to medium sized enterprises. A lot of them do not have very detailed security policies setup.

So yes, I can use it for business.
    Can't wait till they release a native app - using the dropbox websites makes editing files way too cumbersome. Lets just hope they get on this faster than they did with the native blackberry app

@jlb21: i use it a lot for work - it keeps my laptop and desktop in sync quite nicely. As far as policy goes - we're such a small company we don't have policies to cover that kind of thing. I believe my boss even uses mesh.
    From a consultative perspective (that's my job), I HATE HATE HATE cloud.

Look at it this way, once you put data, regardless of what kind it is, it is now out there, in multiple locations. This almost always violates security policies on their own. You are taking company data, moving it off of company servers, and storing it in non-company locations, in an unencrypted fashion (assuming you hadn't encrypted prior to upload).

Think of it this way. Before cloud, your data was on your company server(s). Now with cloud, you don't really know where your data is.

Many of the services like dropbox, box.net, etc, use a hub and spoke type of system to move data to you as fast as possible. The data doesn't just reside on one server/datacenter.....they copy it to multiple spokes off the hub so that the data can travel the shortest distance possible.

The minute you place one tiny bit of regulated data in the cloud, in an unencrypted fashion, you are subjecting your company to non-compliance with respect to privacy regulations, most notably some of the country's strongest privacy legislation such as MA 201 CMR 17.

And don't say "we only put marketing materials in the cloud" or things to that effect. If there is a way, it will happen, accidentally or not, to inadvertently release regulated/restricted/private data.

Just for giggles and grins, please take a moment and review some of the following websites for more information that should, hopefully, scare you a bit:

Privacy Rights Clearinghouse | Empowering Consumers. Protecting Privacy.
    OSF DataLossDB | Data Loss News, Statistics, and Research
    threatpost | The First Stop for Security News
    Office of Inadequate Security
    Privacy News - PogoWasRight.org
    The Data Breach Blog - SC Magazine US
    04-21-11 01:03 PM
    Ok, a long overdue follow up. I was in email contact with the BlueBox developer and, with our feedback, he has reworked the app so that it is almost flawless. The new version (available on BlackBerry App World) is sweet and gives me faith that I will be able to use the PlayBook for work after all. Nice!
    eds817 likes this.
    05-09-11 06:08 PM
    am i doing things right? using Bluebox you can now access your dropbox, and download, all this is missing is the ability to upload, which you can always do via the website. Or am i missing something? also, i note that over at dropbox.com, each time i click 'vote' the count goes up? is this valid?
    05-09-11 07:04 PM
    Ok, a long overdue follow up. I was in email contact with the BlueBox developer and, with our feedback, he has reworked the app so that it is almost flawless. The new version (available on BlackBerry App World) is sweet and gives me faith that I will be able to use the PlayBook for work after all. Nice!
    just ot be clear is v1.0.1 the new version? im guessing so as now has option to create account.

really needs a download option, wont open most files i have (.png .jpg .html .php .swf) of course i have others that i knew it wouldnt (.bat, .ai, .flv, .sql, .xml) if download was possible then .png .jpg would be fine, and im guessing .html and .php should open in the browser. app seems slick, just really really needs that download button and of course for upload to work

edit: my temporary work around - download offical dropbox app to BB, bridge BB and use it that way, a poor workaround but at least its a start
    Last edited by BBThemes; 05-09-11 at 07:11 PM.
    05-09-11 07:08 PM
    The updated version is a huge improvement. Better integration would be nice, but having it work is enough for me. Huge increase in PB's functionality for me.

Now all I need is a solid RDP client...
    05-09-11 07:08 PM
    am i doing things right? using Bluebox you can now access your dropbox, and download, all this is missing is the ability to upload, which you can always do via the website. Or am i missing something? also, i note that over at dropbox.com, each time i click 'vote' the count goes up? is this valid?
    how did you download? or is it currently only certain filetypes?
    05-09-11 07:13 PM
    just ot be clear is v1.0.1 the new version? im guessing so as now has option to create account.

really needs a download option, wont open most files i have ......
    I just now installed it and was able to download a Word file, which i could then open in Word to go. Note that it says 'open' which really means 'download' because it puts the file in your download folder. Honestly, right now its pretty much the same as doing to dropbox.com website, but the point is that the guy is working on it.
    05-09-11 07:36 PM
    Further testing of Bluebox: It will download *.doc, *.pdf and *.avi files. wont do *.jpg, gives you a polite message saying more file types are coming.
    05-09-11 08:13 PM
    Further testing of Bluebox: It will download *.doc, *.pdf and *.avi files. wont do *.jpg, gives you a polite message saying more file types are coming.
    cool got the default pdf to download. shame ya cant download anything, id rather it say `there isnt an app to read this file on your device do you still wish to download` or something like that, but im sure it`ll come. app has promise for sure
    05-09-11 09:02 PM
    cool got the default pdf to download. shame ya cant download anything, id rather it say `there isnt an app to read this file on your device do you still wish to download` or something like that, but im sure it`ll come. app has promise for sure
    yes, the guy is obviously working on it. don't understand why it wont do jpg, tho, since the photo viewer can display them fine.;
    05-09-11 10:04 PM
    BlueBox: Free DropBox Application For The BlackBerry PlayBook Tablet | BlackBerryRocks.com

Ia at version 1.1 and it seems to be working well, first time I open a pdf it failed, logged out and back in and opened same file without a problem.
    05-24-11 01:20 PM
    No Issues at all with BlueBox on my PB. Excellent app.
    05-24-11 01:37 PM
    I just saw on App World where it was updated. So far everything and every file type works fine! This just plain rocks!
    05-27-11 01:41 PM
    Here's the link: https://www.dropbox.com/votebox/4753...native-version

Now, go vote!

Also, if you don't have dropbox, download it here: http://db.tt/cbUl0UV
    You can vote up to 6x, BTW! keep pressing until it stops.
    05-27-11 03:08 PM
64 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD