I downloaded VNC Desktop from App World the other night in hopes that it would allow to connect to other workstations in my office (all machines have UltraVNC installed).

The problem I am having is that when I hit connect the screen dims out and nothing happens. I am connected to the same network as the other machines so I know my playbook can see them (ping tests indicate so). I have even went as far as chaning the port and indicating that in the settings window.

Has anyone been successful with this app so far.

Thanks.
    04-21-11 09:50 AM
    Did you read the description that says you cannot have a password on the client end and that the keyboard does not work? That may be the problem.
    04-21-11 10:52 AM
    This is the one function that would move me to purchase a PB but if VNC is doing
    this half baked attempt with no keyboard or password protection on the host then what good is it?

Is there another program that does a remote desktop connection to a Windows machine for the PB?

Thanks,

Tim
    04-21-11 12:07 PM
    There is one developer that has a proper VNC client in the works. They have a thread on here. I think their screen name is AiFlex or similar. Just waiting on appworld approval I think.
    04-21-11 12:08 PM
    does ultravnc support web browser access. we use realvnc and you can use the browser. I think its java based
    example http://10.51.276.71:5800
    04-21-11 01:01 PM
    True, but if running a webserver on the machine with VNC the webserver takes the port.
    And at work, as with most secure setups most ports are blocked other then 80 21 etc.

Tim
    04-21-11 01:06 PM
    By default it uses port 5800 but can be changed. yes that port should normally blocked and i would hope it would be. we would either use BES or VPN to access the machines inside.
    04-21-11 01:10 PM
    I downloaded VNC Desktop from App World the other night in hopes that it would allow to connect to other workstations in my office (all machines have UltraVNC installed).

The problem I am having is that when I hit connect the screen dims out and nothing happens. I am connected to the same network as the other machines so I know my playbook can see them (ping tests indicate so). I have even went as far as chaning the port and indicating that in the settings window.

Thanks.
    Exactly the same thing happening to me. Sent the developer an email about it. He wants me to run wireshark and send him logs. Come on! Wasted my $2.99 on this. This app should be taken down. Hope the one from Aiflex comes out soon. They're about to release an email client as well.
    04-21-11 07:09 PM
    Hi. Thanks for the comments about AiFlex. aVNC is awaiting for approval and will be in the store shortly. I have tested with major vnc server providers and the application performs correctly. I have created a connecting to a Linux based VNC server. It has also been tested on sever windows vnc servers. aVNC does support authentication. Runs on TightVNC, UltraVNC, TurboVNC, VineVNC, X11VNC or any other VNC server supporting Tight Encoding.

I am trying to come up with a set of multi touch gestures to interact with vnc. My question is what would you like to do when you do a rotate action and three finger actions etc. Pinch to zoom is obvious but what else would need to be added in a further update to make things easier?
    Last edited by AiFlex; 04-21-11 at 08:35 PM.
    04-21-11 08:30 PM
    I forgot to mention that an update is coming to support VNC servers that do not support tight encoding such as realvnc. And should be included in the app when released without affecting the time the app takes in approval. If you have any further questions or comments to enhance a vnc product please post them on the application thread.
    04-21-11 08:38 PM
    RealVNC is what I am using. Looking forward to seeing your work.

Thanks,

Tim
    04-21-11 10:56 PM
    I have just been testing the app with realVNC and the version submitted to blackberry does work with realVNC. My apologies I had not tested it on that platform. Currently getting a more rich multi touch experience together to go into the VNC application.
    04-22-11 07:44 AM
    I am very interested in VNC as well an idea when it will be available or how much?
    04-30-11 07:41 PM
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cdulong View Post

Thanks.
    Exactly the same thing happening to me. Sent the developer an email about it. He wants me to run wireshark and send him logs. Come on! Wasted my $2.99 on this. This app should be taken down. Hope the one from Aiflex comes out soon. They're about to release an email client as well.
    Ditto... glad its not just me.
    05-04-11 10:53 PM
    aVNC will be priced at $2.99 when it arrives in app world. It supports authenticated login and keyboard events from the soft keyboard
    danield76 likes this.
    05-05-11 04:46 AM
    AiFlex,

I know nothing about software development at all, but I LOVE your Amail app and will definitely purchase it.

Are you able to develop a web browser that renders web pages so that you don't have to scroll side to side when zooming? Or alternatively (or maybe the same, I don't know) a browser where the font can be increased and the page rendering would adjust to eliminate side to side scrolling.

I would surely be willing to pay for that!!!
    05-05-11 08:17 AM
    AiFlex,

I know nothing about software development at all, but I LOVE your Amail app and will definitely purchase it.

Are you able to develop a web browser that renders web pages so that you don't have to scroll side to side when zooming? Or alternatively (or maybe the same, I don't know) a browser where the font can be increased and the page rendering would adjust to eliminate side to side scrolling.

I would surely be willing to pay for that!!!
    Thank you for your support. I will put it into our list of applications to look into.
    05-05-11 09:53 AM
    any word on an ssh app?
    05-05-11 11:09 AM
    any word on an ssh app?
    We have a version that is currently being tested on our devices. We aim to submit it to blackberry soon.
    05-05-11 12:03 PM
    aVNC has now been approved and has been posted to the app store. If you have any issue with the application please PM me.
    05-05-11 03:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD