Even before Wired wrote this article: Nobody Needs a Tablet. So Why Are We Gobbling Them Up? | Gadget Lab | Wired.com I was wondering the same thing. Another great article is this one: Moveable feast: iPad 2 or MacBook Air? | Nanotech - The Circuits Blog - CNET News - I also had the same consideration - tablet or MacBook AIR. I drew the same conclusion as the author - MBA. Do we really need a tablet?

As a loyal BlackBerry fan and customer, I went to Staples yesterday and played around with the PlayBook. I was really impressed by its performance and potential. I still, though, was thinking to myself, what am I going to do with a tablet? I have my BlackBerry 9700, I have a laptop, I have a kindle - what does a tablet do better? Most of the time, I am answering emails, working on office documents, Google Docs or browsing. For all these activities, the tablet, imo, is the inferior device in terms of speed of operations, efficiency and screen real estate.

Is the tablet really the better device when on the can or in bed?
    Last edited by conker; 04-20-11 at 10:40 PM. Reason: Add cnet article.
    04-20-11 10:37 PM
    nope...i agree no one needs them but we all do a good job justifying why we get them anyway
    04-20-11 10:38 PM
    For each person, it depends on their needs. For me, the portability, flash, and java make my job easier and will save me time. Do I need one? I made it 44 years without one, so, I guess the answer is no.
    04-20-11 10:43 PM
    In that respect, why does someone need a luxury car? Or a vacation? Or big screen TVs?

The answer is simple....we don't "need" any of that stuff (Playbook included). Sure there are some that can find legitimate business uses for a tablet, but for the most part it is a luxury item.

Personally I like using the tablet in bed or on the road (on my iPad now). It sure beats lugging around my laptop.
    04-20-11 10:46 PM
    In that respect, why does someone need a luxury car? Or a vacation? Or big screen TVs?

The answer is simple....we don't "need" any of that stuff (Playbook included). Sure there are some that can find legitimate business uses for a tablet, but for the most part it is a luxury item.

Personally I like using the tablet in bed or on the road (on my iPad now). It sure beats lugging around my laptop.
    hey now! i need one of those every so often so i dont strangle coworkers! lol
    04-20-11 10:50 PM
    No one actually needs it, it is a luxury.

I gave my sister my laptop because my PlayBook is replacing it. If I do ever need my laptop, then I'll borrow it but for now, the PlayBook is doing a great job.
    04-20-11 10:51 PM
    Yeah, I think for most people the portability factor is key, but it would only satisfy me for those casual activities. Most of the time, I mix work with casual activities so I need the laptop. Rarely, am I just browsing or watching a movie. I'll probably end up getting one, but will wait for the next hardware rev, or until I can no longer stand that itch in the back of my head.
    04-20-11 10:55 PM
    No one actually needs it, it is a luxury.

I gave my sister my laptop because my PlayBook is replacing it. If I do ever need my laptop, then I'll borrow it but for now, the PlayBook is doing a great job.
    It's a Ferrari. you do not needed but it's nice to have
    04-20-11 11:22 PM
    Need/want I don't know about either but I believe it can come in handy depending on what your planned use is. I am pretty kitted out as far as tech goes..... Laptop, BB9700, Desktop, sony e-reader, mp3 player. One of the main uses I have for it is storing and reading research papers in pdf format. I attempted this with the e-reader and frankly it was the most horrendous experience. I was able to download a pdf without any problems and view it perfectly on the playbook. It will be far easier than printing off thousands of pages worth and the form factor is just easier when reading them rather than carrying my laptop all over the place. However this also could just be one big excuse to buy it and might not actually need it at all.
    Last edited by 3Athlete; 04-20-11 at 11:29 PM.
    04-20-11 11:27 PM
    One of the main uses I have for it is storing and reading research papers in pdf format. I attempted this with the e-reader and frankly it was the most horrendous experience. I was able to download a pdf without any problems and view it perfectly on the playbook. It will be far easier than printing off thousands of pages worth and the form factor is just easier when reading them rather than carrying my laptop all over the place. However this also could just be one big excuse to buy it and might not actually need it at all.
    Agreed, pdf reader on my kindle is a joke. Also agreed that this is not enough of a compelling reason for most people to buy, but if you do read a lot of pdfs, and are moving around a lot, then yes.
    04-20-11 11:32 PM
    Every time I see a thread like this I take it as a personal insult. Please read my post on the link below. I explain why I need a tablet such as the PB. Sure I can explain until the sun comes up and you will still not understand....but hey that's your problem not mine.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f222/cr...83/index5.html
    04-20-11 11:36 PM
    Need/want I don't know about either but I believe it can come in handy depending on what your planned use is. I am pretty kitted out as far as tech goes..... Laptop, BB9700, Desktop, sony e-reader, mp3 player. One of the main uses I have for it is storing and reading research papers in pdf format. I attempted this with the e-reader and frankly it was the most horrendous experience. I was able to download a pdf without any problems and view it perfectly on the playbook. It will be far easier than printing off thousands of pages worth and the form factor is just easier when reading them rather than carrying my laptop all over the place. However this also could just be one big excuse to buy it and might not actually need it at all.
    Yea downloading pdf's sure is nice...but have you tried to delete one from the PB yet...no option to do it yet...I tried...other than USB...if you find one please let me know.
    04-20-11 11:36 PM
    Before I bought it everyone around me told me I really don't need a 1968 Mustang. They were right.

Guess what I'm driving anyway?

We don't NEED anything (except for oxygen, water and food).
    04-20-11 11:37 PM
    You forgot sex and beer
    04-20-11 11:42 PM
    Every time I see a thread like this I take it as a personal insult. Please read my post on the link below. I explain why I need a tablet such as the PB. Sure I can explain until the sun comes up and you will still not understand....but hey that's your problem not mine.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f222/cr...83/index5.html
    Don't take it personally, it was just a simple question. Like you said, some people have a clear need and desire for it, others are a bit more cautious, or are seeking advice from current users for that extra little push. Calm down.
    04-20-11 11:44 PM
    You forgot sex and beer
    Oh! And coffee and cigarettes!
    04-20-11 11:45 PM
    You asked, I answered. This debate about tablets started long before the PB... I'm just pointing out that to some.... it's needed. I will calm down... but just because you don't need it doesn't mean some don't. I answered the question.
    04-20-11 11:49 PM
    I certainly do not need one. I find it fits a niche in my tech filled life tho. Easier to view than my Bold, easier to pull out than my netbook. It's perfectly in the middle for a wonderful trifecta. I'll still use the netbook (I imagine) for some things such as typing long docs and I'll use my phone for, well, phone calls and texts and some basic things. But, my PB will be best for sharing video on the fly, surfing, entertaining myself with games, etc. Don't need it, but I'm certainly looking forward to having it. Saved for months... 6 months.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-20-11 11:55 PM
    Before I bought it everyone around me told me I really don't need a 1968 Mustang. They were right.

Guess what I'm driving anyway?

ONLY if you want to keep living!!
    04-21-11 12:03 AM
    You could play this game with anything... How about shoes. Sure, they make walking easier, but they really are just a luxury item we could all do without....
    04-21-11 12:29 AM
    What i tell people when they ask me why do i need the Playbook i say: "It's not about need, it's about want."
    04-21-11 02:37 AM
    Main reason i got mine is because when at home my wife uses the laptop constantly making me browse the net with my iPhone 4. I also really hated my browsing experience without flash. The Bridge also caught my eye but a little too slow for browsing right now. Hope it gets better. Do i like the Playbook? Yes for sure. Do I need it? No. Am i going to keep it? Dont know yet. $700 investment for something I don't need is still making me wonder. As people have said it is more of a luxury for me even though I dont need it to run my 2 businesses. Ill see how things go.
    04-21-11 05:06 AM
    me personally no, but man do i love this thing. i don't need it but im finding things better with it. like working as a plumber, i don't drag it with me every were but if a customer wants to order something custom or do a bathroom remodel, boom pictures gallore and web access with the bridge. like i said a few months ago yes i can do that with a ipad or a xoom but some customers have little kids, they won't steal this to play the games they'll see the bb logo and go running away.
    i do have a laptop now but it's a 15" screen and isn't as ultra portable as this. i love my playbook more each day i use it, with every update it just gets better. i <3 my pb.
    04-21-11 05:26 AM
    A PlayBook, eh?

Hmmm. Expensive.
    Nice though.
    I can't afford it this month.
    I have other priorities.
    I don't really need one, do I?
    My PC does more than the PlayBook
    My wife will kill me
    Neat looking device though and, it works with my Blackberry
    It would mess up our finances
    We need other stuff first

I'LL TAKE IT!

This seems to be the way most people (me included) make this kind of decision. As has been said, it is not about need, it is about want.
    04-21-11 05:41 AM
    Portability, portability, portability!
    04-21-11 05:53 AM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD