Just figured out how to use wi-fi sharing with password. This was tested on Windows XP and Windows 7.

1. Go to Settings > Storage & Sharing, enable File Sharing, Wi-Fi Sharing and Password Protect. Select your password.
    2. Go to Settings > About > Network, get your IP address

Then in Windows, you could use \\<IP address> to access your playbook, when prompted for credentials, use "playbook" as the username and the password you picked.

It took me a long time to figure out what I should use for user, and obvious enough, it's "playbook"
    04-20-11 03:18 PM
    yah, u can also change the name to anything..."playbook" is just the default username on pb...
    04-20-11 03:35 PM
    thanks, I was trying to find the username, playbook
    04-28-11 12:34 AM
    If you don't want to bother with remembering your ip address or if you use your computer/playbook at different location (ie, different ip address), you can instead :

Go to Settings > Storage & Sharing > Properties. The field 'Tablet Network Name' contains the 'machine name' of your tablet which will be broadcasted onto the network. Either leave it as is (PLAYBOOK_{last 4 digit of your PIN}) or change it to something else.

Now, to access your files, simply enter \\{tablet network name}\media to get in (replace {tablet network name} by the tablet network name you entered above).

If you want to even simplify that task and automatically log you on, simply set the 'Username' of the Properties tab to your account name on your computer and set the file sharing password to your computer account password.

Even more autonomous, from Windows Explorer, click 'Map Network Drive' and fill in the fields then click 'Reconnect at log on'. Now, every time you log on into your computer and your Playbook and computer is on the same wifi, it will automatically log you on to it and map a drive. Can't get much simplier than that (once set up)!
    nycspaces., kariakoo and nighguy like this.
    04-28-11 07:36 AM
    You may find that you need to change your workgroup as well in order for it to be found by your pc. (has to match the workgroup your pc is associated with).

Also, you can change the default username from playbook to whatever you want at the settings->storage&sharing->network identification page.
    04-28-11 09:17 AM
    I changed my username to what I always use for everything because I found that every time I wanted to connect I could never remember that the username was playbook
    04-28-11 09:35 AM
    hi,sorry after settings on PB what next on CP ( window 7) ?? can u tell me stage by stage pls... thanx in advance
    04-28-11 09:47 AM
    hi,sorry after settings on PB what next on CP ( window 7) ?? can u tell me stage by stage pls... thanx in advance
    Not knowing what you've setup on your Playbook I'll do my best... By CP, I assume you mean Windows Control Panel, right?

Ok, in the Search field of Start menu, type in 'computer' (without the quotes) and choose the Computer entry under Programs (should be at the top). Once the computer window appears, you'll see on the tool bar an entry for Map network drive (well, I see it on mine anyway). Click on it.

In the Map Network Drive dialog box, leave the drive 'as is' (it's a free drive on your PC) or change it to another drive if you wish. Just remember your Playbook will be accessed through that drive letter.

In the Folder field, that's where you enter \\ip_address\media or \\Playbook_Name\media, depending on what you want to use.

If you've not set the Playbook username and password to the same one as on your computer, check the 'Connect using a different credential' checkbox to force Windows to ask you for a username/password.

If you want Windows to remember this connection and redo it every time you log on, check the 'Reconnect at logon' check box.

That's all there is to it. Hopefully it will work for you. Have fun.
    Clickmouse and kariakoo like this.
    04-28-11 10:28 AM
    Is anyone else having trouble getting this to work with XP or HAD trouble and now has it working? I've tried everything mentioned using \\IP Address\media and \\PBName\media, but when I try to map the drive I keep getting an error message saying it can't be found...
    04-28-11 07:02 PM
    I never set a password and it says ON for Password protect. I try to change it to off and it won't let me.

I had a password in the security section for turning my Playbook on but I disabled that.

Anyone else having this problem?
    05-15-11 12:49 AM
    I never set a password and it says ON for Password protect. I try to change it to off and it won't let me.

I had a password in the security section for turning my Playbook on but I disabled that.

Anyone else having this problem?
    I never set a password either. Is there one set by default?
    05-15-11 11:56 PM
    I tried default, admin, playbook...none worked.

I would up doing a security wipe reset in order to get it to no password. I had to download the update again. C'est La Vie. I hadn't really personalized it very much anyhow.

I'm digging my PlayBook so far. Though I hope the browser crashing stops with the next update.
    05-16-11 12:06 AM
    I tried default, admin, playbook...none worked.

I would up doing a security wipe reset in order to get it to no password. I had to download the update again. C'est La Vie. I hadn't really personalized it very much anyhow.

I'm digging my PlayBook so far. Though I hope the browser crashing stops with the next update.
    Did this fix it? I think I need to do the same thing today. I must have set a password for this, and now I forget what it is. I just want to turn it off.

Also, does anyone know if you back up the "media" in desktop manager and then restore, does that include the HD Demo video?
    05-17-11 09:18 AM
    Is it just me or are other people seeing this wifi sharing as being painfully slow and unreliable on their Playbooks? I'm accessing it from a Windows 7 machine and I often get issues where the PC tells me the network share is no longer accessible. Also, the transfer speeds seem extremely slow compared to the speed of my wifi network.

Anyone else seeing this type of issue? I usually just plug my USB cable in if I need to transfer anything larger than a couple MBs..
    05-17-11 09:43 AM
    I use a WinXP Pro set up and IIRC I set up the password sharing on the PB and then made sure I had the PB "name" written down somewhere and I hit the RUN command and type in //"playbook name"/ and hit enter.

It should pop up one of those "log in" screens and I believe you just type admin/"wifi password you set up" and it should be good to go....I'll double check again when I get home...I forgot my PB at home today.
    05-17-11 03:24 PM
    I've had absolutely no issues with Wifi sharing on Windows 7
    05-17-11 03:40 PM
    as an update...I actually forgot how I set mine up lol but on WinXP make sure you make the "workgroup" the same workgroup you have on the PC you intend to share files with over WiFi under the Network Identification option. I believe that makes a difference.
    05-18-11 01:51 PM
    Ok I figured it out since I had some free time at work...I don't know if the OP is still following this thread but in the "Network Identification" tab of the "Storage & Sharing" tab set up the tablet name, workgroup, and username and the login is the username you set up and the password is the password you set up as well.
    05-20-11 03:15 PM
    hi did u get any other solution to this aside from a wipe ?

Did this fix it? I think I need to do the same thing today. I must have set a password for this, and now I forget what it is. I just want to turn it off.

Also, does anyone know if you back up the "media" in desktop manager and then restore, does that include the HD Demo video?
    01-08-13 06:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD