Mac won't see the PB and I get a "computer cannot communicate with this device" message - "need to configure the RIM Network Device". Can't sync - can't drag and drop - Mac just doesn't see it. Tech support no help. Any fixes or workarounds? If I can't put data on the PB from the Mac what good is it? Any help is appreciated.
    04-20-11 12:28 PM
    Mac won't see the PB and I get a "computer cannot communicate with this device" message - "need to configure the RIM Network Device". Can't sync - can't drag and drop - Mac just doesn't see it. Tech support no help. Any fixes or workarounds? If I can't put data on the PB from the Mac what good is it? Any help is appreciated.
    Could be wrong but I thought I read that your PB and Mac won't work together until the Summer?? Big fail if this is true, guess they figured all Mac owners would have IPADS and put this on the back burner. Summer might mean August or September or later....
    04-20-11 12:44 PM
    Well if that's the case then they'll be getting this back. I don't need $700 paperweight - I thought you were supposed to be able to do some work with this???
    04-20-11 03:19 PM
    The PB desktop manager won't work YET with the MAC
    04-20-11 03:21 PM
    You have to connect it via usb and use it like a massive storage unit.
    05-08-11 11:08 PM
    In Finder, click Go|Connect to server

Then type in smb://your playbook name

You can find you Playbook name under settings, I think it's under Network. Once you hit connect, the Mac should ask you to connect to either Certs or Media. Use the Media folder, that's where all the documents, music, etc. are saved.
    05-08-11 11:37 PM
    Pretty sure there should be no problem with The Blackberry desktop Manager for Mac. At least thats what the Playbook support centre told me when I doublechecked before selling one to a customer.
    Besides that it looks like they did a software update for the Mac version like 4 days before the Playbook was released
    Last edited by Brotha_Dahrkness; 05-08-11 at 11:52 PM.
    05-08-11 11:48 PM
    This is how I connect my Playbook to my MacBook Pro running MAC OS 10.6.7

1. Open Finder on MAC
    2. Select GO and then Connect to Server
    3. A dialogue box will open and ask for the server address
    4. Enter "smb://000.000.0.000 (replace the zeros with your actual Playbook internet address which can be found on the Playbook About page, under Network. It will be the sequence of numbers listed by IPv4.
    5. If you have not set up a password, leave that blank and click on connect.
    6. That will connect you to the Playbook and a window will open saying "certs and "media".
    7. Click on media and it will display all the folders on your Playbook.
    8. You can then drag and drop to move files around.

Looks like jnak00 beat me to it. Thanks.
    05-09-11 12:00 AM
    My experience is even simpler. Running OS 10.6.7 (Snow Leopard) on a 3 year old Intel MacBook: My initial connection appeared to download DM software to to the Mac, but of course the PB Desktop Manager is not yet compatible with Mac. What I do get is the Playbook showing up after about 30 sec under a Shared drive tab in any open window with a pseudo IP address, and I get a Playbook icon on the Desktop when it is connected. I can access the Media file folders after it shows up on the Shared drive menu. It does NOT show up as a USB drive on the Desktop as some would lead you to believe and I do not see any DM software.
    05-09-11 01:10 AM
    Firstly enable USB file sharing on your Playbook. In the storage and sharing tab in settings.
    Then connect via USB. The mac will ask to configure RIM Network device. Choose default settings and click ok.
    The Mac will make a network interface over USB to your PB.
    You will also see a Blackberry Shortcut on the desktop. Click that and it will open the Playbook and ask you which volume you want to mount. Choose the media volume. If you have a password on your PB file sharing, the Mac will ask you that. Enter the registered username and password and you are good to go.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-09-11 01:15 AM
    My Mac loves my playbook, try a reset, always works with BB. Good luck.
    05-09-11 02:39 AM
    I have a MacBook Pro and use the "connect to server, smb://" method. I like it it because I don't have to mess with wires at all; and my PlayBook can be somewhere else in my house when I am doing it.
    05-09-11 06:24 AM
    Different tree different fruit. Different monkeys who lives in it.
    In pc itsjust as easy as drag and drop.
    05-09-11 06:27 AM
    Different tree different fruit. Different monkeys who lives in it.
    In pc itsjust as easy as drag and drop.
    with my mac, it's as easy as drag and drop too
    05-09-11 08:53 AM
    Not a fan of mac. Even macdonald. But i will take macallan any day.
    05-09-11 08:55 AM
    with my mac, it's as easy as drag and drop too
    Same with me too. I don't know why the OP is having problems. As we speak, my PB is connected to my Mac and I am transferring some Comedy Central to it. The first time I connected my PB some network preferences came up, I clicked Okay and it never came up again. Can't connect to Desktop Manager as that won't be supported until the summer, but it can connect to the actual Mac.
    05-09-11 08:57 AM
    I have tried all this and still I cannot get my Macbook Pro to recognize my PB as a drive. Zero communication between the two. I even installed the new DM for Mac that doesn't suport Playbook. Any more ideas?
    05-09-11 05:14 PM
    Have you connected your Playbook to the Mac with a USB cable so it can load the drivers on your computer? Are both the Playbook and Mac on the same network?
    05-09-11 05:22 PM
    Yes to both, the first time I connected my Playbook to my Mac it installed the drivers when prompted and now when I connect the USB it no longer prompts me to install. The Playbook says onscreen that it is connected to a computer however nothing shows up. At this point I followed the instructions of looking up the ivp4 address in "About" on the playbook and entering it manually in Finder>Go>Connect To Server. Still no dice. oh and both are on the same wireless network as well

I just want to be able to drag and drop some music on this thing... that and for RIM so release an OS update that supports bluetooth audio
    Last edited by Moikejay; 05-10-11 at 11:26 AM.
    05-10-11 02:20 AM
    Wifi access works but USB does not. This is now a known issue at BlackBerry support. I have been working with them to solve the problem ever since the PlayBook came out. They are working on a solution and are updating me every couple of days as to their progress.
    06-12-11 11:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD