Did you pick up one of the OEM cases with your PB? If so, what are your thoughts so far? Can anyone confirm the magnetic power save function with the slip cases, or its absence with the journal/convertible cases? Is the build quality worth it? Any chance of the delamination problems that are happening with the torch cases?

It looks like Future Shop and Best Buy in Canada are sold out, so I guess they are popular.
    04-20-11 10:18 AM
    Staples Canada has the most cases!

BUT that said so not buy the "Hip Street, Executive Leather Case"

the case completely covers the Bezel and makes the Playbook unusable.
    04-20-11 10:45 AM
    Ditto here, FutureShop has no cases at all, but Staples / Bureau en Gros has quite a few. Though, the one that I want - the leather binder - hasn't been received yet.
    04-20-11 10:47 AM
    I picked up the Hipstreet venture case with the bluetooth keyboard.
    As deRusett mentioned, the bezel gestures are pretty much useless as the case covers too much of the device but with a bluetooth mouse it is a non issue.
    04-20-11 10:54 AM
    ...or its absence with the journal/convertible cases? Is the build quality worth it?
    I have the journal case. Nice case, very similar to the Kindle 3 case. However, I'm not entirely sure I will keep it.

1. The power supply plugs into the bottom of the PlayBook, and the bottom of the PlayBook is facing the spine of the case. Therefore, when the PlayBook is plugged in, the charging plug jams into the inside spine of the case and makes holding the device a bit awkward.

2. The power button is already stubborn enough (not difficult, per se, but not as easy to use as the volume buttons, for example), but in this case, I find pushing the power button next to impossible. The case has a shell built in to it, and that shell covers the buttons on the PlayBook. Sure, there are "buttons" on the shell of the case, but in practice the power button is all but impossible to use as a result of the shell.

3. Does the PlayBook respond to a magnet like the BlackBerry phones do? If so, the journal case definitely does not put the PlayBook to sleep or wake it up automatically.
    04-20-11 10:54 AM
    picked up the OEM leather envelop case, looks nice.
    staples has it for 59 -15$ coupon from the coupon book they give you when you buy a pbook
    04-20-11 10:56 AM
    I like the looks of the Otterbox case, but it doesn't look like it's available anywhere yet. I bought the Hipstreet Venture case, but like previously said....it covers the bezel and it is useless (I like the bluetooth keyboard option) and I returned it. I picked up the Targus Kruss case, but not all that impressed with it either because it doesn't prop up properly when you have the USB plugged into the bottom....but I think that is going to be an issue with any convertible case.
    04-20-11 11:00 AM
    I'm too looking for a good case with a stand to watch videos. most of them on ebay have the bezel covered. WTF are they thinking? did they not test it on a real device or they just modify it from the xoom
    04-20-11 11:02 AM
    I like the looks of the Otterbox case, but it doesn't look like it's available anywhere yet. I bought the Hipstreet Venture case, but like previously said....it covers the bezel and it is useless (I like the bluetooth keyboard option) and I returned it. I picked up the Targus Kruss case, but not all that impressed with it either because it doesn't prop up properly when you have the USB plugged into the bottom....but I think that is going to be an issue with any convertible case.

What did the people at work think of your playbook?

I too really want to see the Otterbox case first hand, I'm not going to order it online, I want to put my PB in it, and if I don't like it hand it back.

I'm going to look a bit in Toronto Tomorrow, and have a friend looking in Winnipeg since I'm going there next week hoping to have an Otterbox case to try in the next 10 days!
    04-20-11 11:39 AM
    I'm going to look a bit in Toronto Tomorrow, and have a friend looking in Winnipeg since I'm going there next week hoping to have an Otterbox case to try in the next 10 days!
    Accessories are a wash in Winnipeg right now. Most retailers have little or none. And what they do have is usually not the OEM stuff. There are a few oem sleeves and pouches Ive seen but not the good stuff.
    04-20-11 11:43 AM
    I actually like the little sleeve RIM provided with the PlayBook.
    meganVee likes this.
    04-20-11 11:44 AM
    Accessories are a wash in Winnipeg right now. Most retailers have little or none. And what they do have is usually not the OEM stuff. There are a few oem sleeves and pouches Ive seen but not the good stuff.

are you checking the outdoor recreation stores?

I got my Otterbox for my 8330 at an Outdoor recreation Store in Thunder Bay, On, long before I ever saw otterbox at Bell/Rogers/Telus/FS/BB etc
    04-20-11 11:45 AM
    I'm going to wait until I can get my hands on an otterbox. Looks like the buttons on it would be all right. Maybe even better than without a case. But thats just from looking at pics. I want to feel it before I spent a stupid amount of money on a case...
    04-20-11 11:46 AM
    I actually like the little sleeve RIM provided with the PlayBook.

I like it as well at home

but during a work day I will be pulling it in and out of the case 8-10 times per day, I'd ideally like something I could just open the front of, AND in a perfect world would hold my business cards and a stylus
    04-20-11 11:46 AM
    I have the convertible case, got the last one at bestbuy. It's a nice case, hopefully it doesn't break. I can maybe see the rubber casing coming off the hard outside material.

I'm a big fan of the mess case that came with the playbook
    04-20-11 11:47 AM
    I like it as well at home

but during a work day I will be pulling it in and out of the case 8-10 times per day, I'd ideally like something I could just open the front of, AND in a perfect world would hold my business cards and a stylus
    playbook | Targus USA

Have you looked at Targus for that? I wanted the perfect combination between my current planner and a case to carry the Playbook. I ended up just ordering the Vaja, as I don't think I will get away form carrying my planner completely, there are still things I need both for.
    04-20-11 11:54 AM
    playbook | Targus USA

Have you looked at Targus for that? I wanted the perfect combination between my current planner and a case to carry the Playbook. I ended up just ordering the Vaja, as I don't think I will get away form carrying my planner completely, there are still things I need both for.
    That case looks a lot like the Executive Leather case I got, which made the bezel useless.

PlayBook Executive Leather Case - Black - Hipstreet
    04-20-11 11:58 AM
    I got the OEM leather slip case (looks exactly like the pouch for the Torch). It appears to fit nice and snug, but it leaves some space on each side of the PlayBook as though the case is too big. Still, it looks good and the extra space does make it pretty easy to remove the PlayBook from the case. Build quality is pretty good too, so I'd give it a 8 out of 10
    04-20-11 12:05 PM
    Where did you buy the case?
    04-20-11 12:17 PM
    seems canada got screwed on not getting any convertible cases
    04-20-11 12:26 PM
    The Otterbox defender series case for the 'book, will be in stores 26th of April in the GTA
    04-20-11 12:34 PM
    I bought the journal case yesterday, and i think it is going straight back to the store. The buttons are impossible to push, as previously mentioned. I feel the pb should be facing the opposite way, i.e. power button toward the spine of the case. I have been taking a serious look at the dodocase... any thoughts?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-20-11 12:41 PM
    i have this case because i can't find the convertible case anywhere and this is the closest thing to it..but i find it very cheap quality so it's going back

Icon BlackBerry PlayBook Carbon Click Book (ASD322) : Tablet Cases & Skins - Future Shop
    04-20-11 01:00 PM
    The DODOcase looks pretty cool. I'm seriously considering ordering, the only thing that might hold me back is the shipping to Canada is steep.
    04-20-11 01:03 PM
    I got the convertible case. At first I didn't like adding all the bulk, but far carrying around at work it's really classy. However I think I'll ultimately get the leather slip case because with the others you put it inside a rubber molding and it's more or less meant to be permanent, but I like it to be as thin and light as possible when I use it.
    04-20-11 01:20 PM
179 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD