Can anyone check if you can read/write Chinese, Japanese and Korean on Playbook?
    Thanks
    04-20-11 08:22 AM
    Can anyone check if you can read/write Chinese, Japanese and Korean on Playbook?
    Thanks
    NOPE, its English and french only here in Canada
    04-20-11 08:25 AM
    The Playbook browser seems to support Japanese characters.
    MWC2011 report
    Not sure about other apps though.

I was told by this dude (who was fortunate to get his hands on PB) that Japanese input is not possible.

I ordered mine anyways. I hope RIM will eventually add CJK language support.

The PB will be my first RIM product. How do RIM usually handle these things? Will they be eventually adding Japanese support to all their PB or do they make us buy another version that supports Japanese?
    04-21-11 12:54 PM
    pb is able to read chinese websites without any issues....no WRITE though...
    i was able to upload a few mp3s with chinese and they were showing in the music player fine...

however, photos are not able to display chinese properly, in fact if you loaded a folder with a chinese name on it, it would crash the photo folder..
    04-21-11 01:12 PM
    I just received a PB yesterday, and really trying to give it a chance. I live in the US and selected English during setup, but when I loaded some Chinese MP3 files, all I get is jibberish. Mine do not display properly.
    05-01-11 12:05 PM
    estrella69, probably the playbook os does not support filenames that contains CJK charactors (yet). Try renaming it with ascii only chars.
    05-01-11 02:07 PM
    I just received a PB yesterday, and really trying to give it a chance. I live in the US and selected English during setup, but when I loaded some Chinese MP3 files, all I get is jibberish. Mine do not display properly.
    You need to change your music tags.
    05-01-11 02:49 PM
    Unicode works fine. I have loaded up quite a few Chinese mp3's with Chinese file names and mp3 tags with Unicode, and they are all working fine. Chinese website works fine too. I'm hoping we'll get Chinese input as well...
    05-01-11 03:24 PM
    Browser Japanese font is perfect! Just I can not type Japanese.
    Bunch of Japanese Blackberry fan are waiting for multi language ROM like BB OS.
    05-02-11 05:58 PM
    i just got my two playbooks in the mail today. my wife will be upset. i hope the language support for japanese comes out soon
    05-03-11 05:07 AM
    I am waiting for Korean input support. RIM has traditionally been really good at multilanguage support. So I expect CJK support to come in an update as they roll out the Playbook in Asia.
    05-03-11 05:56 AM
    > RIM has traditionally been really good at multilanguage support.

kyopo, that's good to know.
    In the meantime, do you have any alternative ways of input on PB? I was really hoping that the cloud/ajax ime types service, such as Ajax IME: Web-based Japanese Input Method (Japanese site) would worked on PB. but it didn't
    05-03-11 10:05 AM
    I have recently published a basic Japanese IME on BB App World for the PB. It incorporates Google's Japanese transliteration API, so the choices presented to the user are often better than with other IME solutions. Please have a look and send me your comments as well as feature suggestions. Please remember to disable the predictions and suggestions feature on the PB before using my app. Try it with your BT keyboard, if you have one.

jmtech1

"If an app is essential, it should be free."
    03-22-12 02:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD