I don't see any gps settings, and the options in general seem very limited. Everything else I love so far. I have had it for about 2 1/2 hours.
    04-20-11 12:18 AM
    no settings yet. bing maps gps isnt currently workimg.
    04-20-11 12:22 AM
    no settings yet. bing maps gps isnt currently workimg.
    The weird thing about this is that Bing Maps worked perfectly for me earlier in the day at my office - but now I can't get a GPS lock...
    04-20-11 12:34 AM
    Oh, okay. Bing was trying to lock, and gave up.

Okay, Bing Maps finally locked, so it works, just used to being able to see actual options, may take a little getting used to.

Also, I have a Storm 2, so I am not quite used to touching the screen, and activating stuff. Sure press grew on me!
    Last edited by ak_hermit; 04-20-11 at 12:44 AM. Reason: Update
    04-20-11 12:35 AM
    not enabled in this build, coming soon..
    04-20-11 01:00 AM
    not enabled in this build, coming soon..
    coming soon? in new hardware build? see more...
    BlackBerry PlayBook Teardown - iFixit

where is the GPS device? or is it not BP?
    Last edited by .Shogun.; 04-20-11 at 01:23 AM.
    04-20-11 01:20 AM
    There is no GPS?

SO it is using your phone via bridge to locate towers? LOL!
    04-20-11 05:30 AM
    No GPS functionality no matter what yesterday, I was stuck in Calgary using Poynt and Bing maps could not find my location! I received a message: "geolocation muted". Today, Poynt mysteriously found my house, but I don't know if that was using wifi or GPS. GPS is a huge feature for me and whether it works may determine whether I keep or return PB. Come on RIM.
    04-20-11 05:32 AM
    lol that would suck. It has to be there as I have seen it on documents fromRIM i am sure of it. Guess we will just have to wait and see.
    04-20-11 05:51 AM
    lol that would suck. It has to be there as I have seen it on documents fromRIM i am sure of it. Guess we will just have to wait and see.
    Do not believe your eyes, believe conscience RIM
    04-20-11 05:58 AM
    No GPS functionality no matter what yesterday, I was stuck in Calgary using Poynt and Bing maps could not find my location! I received a message: "geolocation muted". Today, Poynt mysteriously found my house, but I don't know if that was using wifi or GPS. GPS is a huge feature for me and whether it works may determine whether I keep or return PB. Come on RIM.
    Well, I installed Poynt and the GPS told me I was in Calgary... except I'm in Ottawa! It's supposed to have hardware GPS so one could assume it's a software issue that just needs to be fixed.

Bing Maps did find my location, but it may have well just been an estimate based on internet access.
    04-20-11 06:53 AM
    coming soon? in new hardware build? see more...
    BlackBerry PlayBook Teardown - iFixit

where is the GPS device? or is it not BP?
    Tech Insights tears down the BlackBerry PlayBook | CrackBerry.com

Theres another one that actually took the time to do a really teardown. Notice it has a gps chip
    04-20-11 06:59 AM
    Oh! Thank you. Reassured!
    04-20-11 07:11 AM
    I wouldn't have much hope of working GPS until they release the 3g models. That's when they'll push the full working firmware I think. None of the other wifi only tablets have any kind of 'functional' gps... They might be able to put you as a dot on a cached map, but without data, just knowing your coordinates is pretty pointless...
    04-20-11 08:00 AM
    Well, I installed Poynt and the GPS told me I was in Calgary... except I'm in Ottawa! It's supposed to have hardware GPS so one could assume it's a software issue that just needs to be fixed.

Bing Maps did find my location, but it may have well just been an estimate based on internet access.
    yeah same as me, however in poynt it did show my address at the top, it just found POI in Calgary for some reason
    04-20-11 08:21 AM
    Yep, both GPS and gyroscope are in there, but not really in use yet... so much power to yet be unleashed via software updates.
    04-20-11 08:30 AM
    Poynt and Compass worked for me. I got GPS coordinates from the other Compass app as well. But signal was intermittent depending on how good a view of sky.
    04-20-11 08:48 AM
    It's going to be quite the ride over the next few weeks/months as all the features are activated.
    04-20-11 03:00 PM

i guess poynt likes Calgary. I am in London, Ontario and it always says that i am in Calgary.
    04-20-11 05:10 PM

same here! it wont change!
    04-20-11 05:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD