Picked up my playbook at 8:15 this morning. Drove to office and unpacked playbook. I sell and install wireless access points and had an install to add 3 AP's to an existing network, and adjust position of several others. While I was getting tools, access points, paperwork together, I downloaded software update and charged battery, and with help from several forum members here, got my bridge up and going on my storm.

My playbook performed FABULOUSLY today. Everything I expected. It allowed me to access built-in browser in AP's, run a java based tool to accurately measure signal strength and optimize placement. In between, I was able to use camera and email photos to customer of new AP placement.

Small enough to slide into my back pocket when making notes on handwritten placement map. Very nice to pull out and answer emails, an even send off a quote to another customer. Logged onto my account at Ingram micro and placed an order for 2 more AP's, which I would have had to drive back to the office to do if not for my playbook.
    Was able to finalize placement through cloud based controller, test entire network, complete job and actually made it home at a decent time for supper! Finished up a few emails, browsed the web, and still had 36% battery. Hooked up to my TV and looked and marveled at the pics i took today, and a goofy video we shot!

In summary, the playbook did exactly what I wanted it to do today, and am very pleased and impressed. All in all today, saved me at least an hour to hour and a half!! And I didn't have to lug my laptop and charger all over today looking for outlets to plug it into.

I hope everyone gets the most out of there playbook, and issues they have, I am sure will get resolved. I can see some improvements that will benefit me, and hope they come soon. But as of today, I am one Happy Camper!!
    Last edited by dunerzr; 04-20-11 at 02:36 AM.
    04-20-11 12:15 AM
    You know, there's a reason why a keyboard has an "Enter" key.
    Wow, I could learn so much from you!

All your posts are so helpful and positive.

Thanks for the advice.
    04-20-11 01:51 AM
    I liked your story, shows it not just a "toy" but get things done. Thanks.
    04-20-11 02:03 AM
    Great post!
    04-20-11 02:18 AM
    Considering there are virtually no apps right now, what else are you supposed to do with it?
    Good question, I suppose you could always use one to troll an internet messageboard for a device you do not own, although apparently you have a device to do that already.
    04-20-11 02:18 AM
    Thanks for the replies. It was so much better than my Laptop/Ipad combo I usually carry. My Ipad will not show the java app, or a cloud page I have to use.

Thats why I had to carry laptop too. No More!! The size and portability was perfect! Tough carrying tools, Ipad and Laptop. This truly fit in my back pocket to be out of the way.

Ipad can stay at home now, and Laptop at a central location all day. Ipad is not as portable as a lot of people think when you carry it around all day, and have to find a place to set it down all the time, a lot of times on the floor/ground.
    Cant wait until I can get a GPS app that will integrate with my contacts, and BBM. Then it will serve all the purposes that I envisioned it would.
    Last edited by dunerzr; 04-20-11 at 02:41 AM.
    04-20-11 02:33 AM
    Great post! I had a similarly enjoyable work day with my brand new playbook today. My local staples opened at 7am today for playbook launch which was great as i was able to pick this awesome little device up on my way to work

I got the playbook set up and charged fairly quickly in the morning. And then proceeded to use it instead of my work computer (or blackberry) to access my company's exchange server. I only ever use my work computer for email / calendar / office but today i did not even turn it on. I used my playbook for everything, I am LOVING bridge even without bbm (for now) and no access my blackberry's media (hopefully also only for now.) I also did a lot of playbook demo's for my co-workers haha and on our lunch break two people went out and bought their own!

I've read so much negativity about the playbook today and I have to say my playbook is great everything i was hoping for. Sure it needs some polish in areas but after waiting since last summer to own one I am just happy to have it and look forward to all the OS updates from RIM
    dunerzr, lrdiaz, tstrike34 and 1 others like this.
    04-20-11 02:49 AM
    Yea, a little polish it will be great! Mine is charging now for another productive day at work!

I also followed the forum all day long (had to test web sites, you know..lol) and was surprised at all the negative posts while mine was doing exactly what I envisioned. I have waited for this device for a long time. It will pay for itself quickly with all the time it will save me. I will be purchasing more Playbooks for my employees.
    04-20-11 02:58 AM
    Great thread. I think there's going to be a sharp divide between the people who already had a purpose in mind when they bought the PlayBook and those who are looking for a time-waster device.
    04-20-11 03:46 AM
    What do you use as the "java based tool" to perform you site surveys on the wireless networks? We have a large wireless infrastructure at work and it would be very handy to use such a tool when our WiFi scanner and troubleshooter is not available.
    04-20-11 03:57 AM
    Good question, I suppose you could always use one to troll an internet messageboard for a device not worth owning if you are an AT&T customer, although apparently you have a device to do that already.
    Much better
    04-20-11 04:29 AM
    I am not buying this BS.

Sorry but after 8 hours with the PB, I returned it to Office Depot.

Best of luck with your dream, best you not wake up!
    04-20-11 05:17 AM
    I am not buying this BS.

mmm... Dont really care if you "buy" it or not.

The Playbook works for me, sorry it didn't meet your expectations. I knew what I wanted it to do, and it does. Any functionality other than what it's doing for me now, is a bonus.
    04-20-11 09:42 AM
    mmm... Dont really care if you "buy" it or not.

The Playbook works for me, sorry it didn't meet your expectations. I knew what I wanted it to do, and it does. Any functionality other than what it's doing for me now, is a bonus.
    Great description of use, I think that is one of the problems contributing to all the negative response here, people are buying the PB with no idea of how they will use it, and likely are not in a position to figure it out, so they bring it home and play a game then say, "Ok now what"!

If you cannot figure out how to use it as a tool and integrate it into your daily life, it will be useless to you, and you should go buy a PSP or an iPad.
    04-20-11 09:52 AM
    I am not buying this BS.

Returning it, not returning it, returning it... Hey Greg are you getting tired of running in circles yet?
    04-20-11 09:53 AM
    "..Small enough to slide into my back pocket when making notes on handwritten placement map"

Ok, C'mon now.. The Playbook is not bulky but it's not small enough to comfortably slide into a back of a normal sized pocket. Besides, even if you could, why would you risk breaking it by putting it in a back pocket where you can accidentally sit on it and break it? That makes zero sense at all. Also, for "pulling out and answering emails and quotes" like you say, I would still use a mobile phone over a Playbook for that task.

I guarantee you that if Playbooks were invented before mobile phones, you would be posting that you are now using your smaller and lighter mobile phone to do most of the tasks instead.
    Last edited by Rudee66; 04-20-11 at 10:07 AM.
    04-20-11 10:01 AM
    What do you use as the "java based tool" to perform you site surveys on the wireless networks? We have a large wireless infrastructure at work and it would be very handy to use such a tool when our WiFi scanner and troubleshooter is not available.
    There are 2 main ones I use. One is built in the browser of each access point I put in. It measures throughput from the client to the AP. And also tells me channel utilization in both b/g and n bandwidths.

The other is located at:
    Meraki WiFi Mapper | Free and No Download Required

Play with it, hope it helps!!
    04-20-11 10:02 AM
    "..Small enough to slide into my back pocket when making notes on handwritten placement map"

Ok, C'mon now.. The Playbook is not bulky but it's not small enough to comfortably slide into a back of a normal sized pocket. Besides, even if you could, why would you risk breaking it by putting it in a back pocket where you can accidentally sit on it and break it? That makes zero sense at all. Also, for "pulling out and answering emails and quotes" like you say, I would still use a mobile phone over a Playbook for that task.

I guarantee you that if Playbooks were invented before mobile phones, you would be posting that you are now using your smaller and lighter mobile phone to do most of the tasks instead.
    I put the playbook in my back pocket, mark a location on a map, and pull it back out and continue on, whats not to understand?? Better than having to put it on the ground and risk stepping on it.

I risk putting it in my pocket because that is my job. I purchased the playbook to make me more productive at work, save time and keep me from lugging a large laptop or Ipad around. When using my laptop, sometimes it is balanced on a ladder or worse on pipes in a factory or ceiling. Sorry I am making some of you upset by actually using it.

My phone cannot display info I need, and would be too small.

And why would I pull out my phone, when I am bridged, and the playbook is already in my hand??
    Last edited by dunerzr; 04-20-11 at 10:29 AM.
    just_luc likes this.
    04-20-11 10:17 AM
    guarantee you that if Playbooks were invented before mobile phones, you would be posting that you are now using your smaller and lighter mobile phone to do most of the tasks instead.
    Ummm, no....
    just_luc likes this.
    04-20-11 10:20 AM
    Portability was one of the main features that sold me on the playbook. My playbook fits into the jacket pocket of 3/5 of my suits jackets or blazers relegating my poor berry to pants pocket real estate haha.

As has been previously stated i can only help feel that those people who are disappointed about their playbook (or lack there of) who feel the need to post negative and generally vague and unhelpful replies in every "positive" playbook thread should maybe have done a bit of research, played with a demo unit, and watched Kevin's videos on the main page. I am sorry that your "dream" about what the Playbook was did not come true.

Back on topic. There are now 5 playbooks in my office! two of my coworkers had a consulting meeting with one of our newer clients at 9am today (the two coworkers who bought the playbook at lunch yesterday) I was free so i decided to sit in on it (I am definitely not posting to crackberry during this meeting! oops) anyways our clients walked in and started setting up their laptops when the 3 of us walked in empty handed sat down and pulled out our playbooks. The first 10 minuets of the meeting has been a playbook demo.

One of the cool features i like about bridge is the ability to protect your data... i store all my documents (and have for a while now) on my blackberries sd card so all i had to do was lock bridge hand my playbook over for them to look at and i did not have to worry about them snooping through confidential information
    just_luc likes this.
    04-20-11 11:23 AM
    Returning it, not returning it, returning it... Hey Greg are you getting tired of running in circles yet?
    Never ran in the first circle. It was returned within 8 hours of buying it.

Was an EASY decision to make
    04-20-11 11:25 AM
    I put the playbook in my back pocket, mark a location on a map, and pull it back out and continue on, whats not to understand?? Better than having to put it on the ground and risk stepping on it.

I risk putting it in my pocket because that is my job. I purchased the playbook to make me more productive at work, save time and keep me from lugging a large laptop or Ipad around. When using my laptop, sometimes it is balanced on a ladder or worse on pipes in a factory or ceiling. Sorry I am making some of you upset by actually using it.

My phone cannot display info I need, and would be too small.

And why would I pull out my phone, when I am bridged, and the playbook is already in my hand??
    Seriously, what size of pants do you wear that you can comfortably fit a Playbook in the back pocket? And it was your words "Very nice to pull out and answer emails, an even send off a quote to another customer." not mine, that made me suggest a mobile phone would be better suited for that task, unless you already had the Playbook open in front of you.
    Last edited by Rudee66; 04-20-11 at 01:28 PM.
    04-20-11 11:32 AM
    I was wearing jeans yesterday, and threw it in my back pocket when I was mobile, and I sat on it by accident in my car, and well, I'm not a small guy by any means and it was fine when in the neoprene case. The thing is built sturdy.

As for dunerzr, thanks for the great thread! It's always nice to hear some positivity about how the playbook has become useful for people for things MORE than Need for Speed or Tetris. Many people refuse to see this device as a tool as opposed to an app filled media device. Although even with that, the screen is clear. There is functionality with it, and well, haters are gonna hate. :s
    just_luc and dunerzr like this.
    04-20-11 11:45 AM
    rim made a huge mistake with the pb. i am a huge blackberry fan. the obvious is what bothers me.
    lack of great out of box experience
    software os on playbook minimum work in progress
    no spell check or as you go or type correction
    lack of basic apps
    att playing the bridge game on the date of release! come on....

why should we as consumers be a testing place foe this device?
    are we getting free pb's or a major discount....
    some of you want the fun of using and tinkering with a new device i know i do...
    but at the end of the day we are supoorting tjis type od behavior by rim for the pb and all other devices they are going to offer soon
    os 6 has been a disaster in the implementaion
    i still cant my pb bridge working right.
    i am returning the device....
    04-20-11 12:11 PM
    Seriously, what size of pants do you were that you can comfortably fit a Playbook in the back pocket? And it was your words "Very nice to pull out and answer emails, an even send off a quote to another customer." not mine, that made me suggest a mobile phone would be better suited for that task, unless you already had the Playbook open in front of you.
    38x32.. Is there a maximum pants size I need to be to buy a playbook? Have you ever wore a pair of work jeans? Large pockets to carry tools, ect? And yes, most times it is in my hands. I am using it to check wireless AP coverage.

Keep trying... I don't understand the negativity. If its not for you, fine. I am not telling you what to buy that works for you. But don't tell me it is not working for me.
    04-20-11 12:42 PM
60 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD