i think it would be awesome if we have this app for the pb. i know for sure that i would be able to type a lot faster than now on my pb. this could be an alternative for the autotext.
    screamlordbyron likes this.
    04-19-11 10:09 PM
    I love swype on my Nexus One. By far the best keyboard I have ever used.
    04-19-11 10:14 PM
    I love swype on my Nexus One. By far the best keyboard I have ever used.
    Same here,i was using it on my tmobile g2.Too bad that i dont have it any more,because i sold it for 320(bought it for 110 on craigslist). I made 200 profit, added 330ish for this playbook. No regret!!! Typing on my pb as we speak. and bridge mode is awesome with my 9700
    04-19-11 10:22 PM
    Does the OS even allow it? Doubt it.
    04-19-11 10:28 PM
    I agree PlayBook is the perfect platform for swype, I hope they make a version for the BB PlayBook soon.
    04-25-11 12:37 PM
    I agree PlayBook is the perfect platform for swype, I hope they make a version for the BB PlayBook soon.
    +1

I would love to have swype on the PB.
    04-27-11 12:53 AM
    i think it would be awesome if we have this app for the pb. i know for sure that i would be able to type a lot faster than now on my pb. this could be an alternative for the autotext.
    I thought this was just for Samsung devices, It looks like Swype is it's own entity.

A couple of other competing technologies are...

SlideIT

ShapeWriter

MessageEase
    04-27-11 01:37 PM
    Does the OS even allow it? Doubt it.
    The BB PlayBook OS is pretty versatile. No reason why it wouldn't work.
    04-27-11 01:38 PM
    The BB PlayBook OS is pretty versatile. No reason why it wouldn't work.
    Apps on the PlayBook only exist inside a sort of shell, like iOS, so they can't impact the outer OS. Android allows devs to add on top of their OS.
    04-27-11 02:18 PM
    Apps on the PlayBook only exist inside a sort of shell, like iOS, so they can't impact the outer OS. Android allows devs to add on top of their OS.
    In that case, I think the natural path is to wait for the native SDK and have someone implement Swype as an add-on to the keyboard. You can already choose between Qwerty and two other keyboards, a natural place for Swype would be here.
    04-27-11 03:04 PM
    after using swype on my sansung phone i thought like how it would be great having it on the playbook. hope RIM will include it in their next update.
    12-02-12 11:47 PM
    Although I agree, I don't see it happening. Since they are working on BB10, which has the ability to do text prediction and flip words up from the keyboard, that a will more than likely be what will be available on the PlayBook when the BB10 update arrives.
    12-03-12 08:16 AM
    Swype was bought by Nuance a while ago and I'm not sure how they are going to be using it going forward. It is the best keyboard I have ever used but the new BB10 keyboard has a lot of potential. The predictive text and flick and swipe word actions looks very easy. I'm looking forward to using it.
    12-03-12 09:49 AM
    The current PB keyboard is made by SwiftKey, who make the excellent SwiftKey X for Android (this and the PB keyboard share the same great prediction code). Currently, they are working on "SwiftKey Flow", which combines their excellent prediction code with Swype like "swiping". I guess there is a chance RIM may get them to add that to the PB keyboard sometime (although it may not fit too well with the predictive typing of the BB10 keyboard; perhaps it could be optional, either as an alternative or in addition to the words appearing above certain letters).
    12-03-12 10:25 AM
    The current PB keyboard is made by SwiftKey, who make the excellent SwiftKey X for Android (this and the PB keyboard share the same great prediction code). Currently, they are working on "SwiftKey Flow", which combines their excellent prediction code with Swype like "swiping". I guess there is a chance RIM may get them to add that to the PB keyboard sometime (although it may not fit too well with the predictive typing of the BB10 keyboard; perhaps it could be optional, either as an alternative or in addition to the words appearing above certain letters).
    i hope they include that feature into newer playbook os updates
    12-03-12 11:11 AM
    i hope they include that feature into newer playbook os updates
    Me too, but I fear RIM may just have contracted SwiftKey to do the keyboard as a one-off or something, rather than signing them up to keep updating it. But RIM have never said anything about it publicly so hopefully those fears are unfounded.
    12-03-12 11:47 AM
    ...still hopefull

Bernie
    02-28-13 04:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD