Hi,
    I had just purchased my 16gb playbook today, and the device is working perfect. I used it for like 4 hours straight until the initial battery charged died. I then charged the device completely to calibrate the battery. I noticed that after it was fully charged, the battery would drain not drastically but it was noticeable during standby. I unplugged the charger at 4pm when it reached 100 percent and went out, i came back at around 7 and noticed that the battery had drained roughly 3 percent (wifi off). I know its not a large amount, but I am used to my ipad staying fully charged overnight. Does anyone else have this problem or am I just paranoid.

Thanks.

*Just another point to add, I had turned off all network and bluetooth settings and dimmed the brightness down before i left.
    04-19-11 06:28 PM
    It has to still detect the swiping on the front to wake it up, so that takes some power.
    Does anyone know if there's an option to disable that? If I have a raised power button, I don't see any reason to use the swipe, especially since it wastes battery in standby.
    04-19-11 06:30 PM
    04-19-11 06:40 PM
    OK, so this morning a awoke to a huge problem with my PB and standby:
    I left my playbook on standby at 52% at 2am, then took a look at 10am this morning, only to find the PB had totally died!
    How the **** could the thing drain 50% overnight on standby?!?
    I had no apps running, the screen was off, but i guess the wifi was on and it was on presentation mode (which shouldn't matter as nothing was running).
    On top of this, I don't even know when it died, it could've been anytime after 2am.

Btw, the battery drained to 53% over 3 hours of continuous browsing at 90% brighteness and showcase mode on.

HELP!! I don't want to have to turn off my PB before bed or during work. It should not drain on stanby, this is ridiculous!
    04-22-11 10:25 AM
    this sounds quite defective to me. exchange it perhaps. No one else has reported that bad of a drain
    04-22-11 10:34 AM
    over night mine on standby uses like 6%, roughly 9 hours
    04-22-11 10:44 AM
    I agree .. I tested mine last night and with WIFI off and Bridge off and nothing else open it went from 23% to 21 % in 10 hours of standby.....
    04-22-11 10:51 AM
    Here is another thread regarding battery life:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f222/ba...rrible-607448/

Do you happen to have any dead pixels?

-Bill
    04-22-11 10:52 AM
    at bedtime instead of leaving it standby mode i just turn the PB off. this saves at lot of battery unless you use the PB for alarm.
    04-22-11 11:04 AM
    I unplugged mine yesterday at 7:30am. Light use all day, heavy use for 6 hours last night. At 8:30 this morning it was still at 45%. I'm experiencing pretty good battery life so far.
    04-22-11 11:05 AM
    Here is another thread regarding battery life:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f222/ba...rrible-607448/

-Bill
    lol fu and ur joke ability
    04-22-11 11:19 AM
    lol, no dead pixels i did the test pics. i will try again tonight, but so far usage today seemed to be fine.
    i'll put up an update later. i have updated to the newest OS so who knows that may help too.

btw, I'm really starting to like this thing. i bought it with the idea i could return it in 15 days, but it's really starting to grow on me :-)
    04-23-11 01:32 AM
    OK, so this morning a awoke to a huge problem with my PB and standby:
    I left my playbook on standby at 52% at 2am, then took a look at 10am this morning, only to find the PB had totally died!
    How the **** could the thing drain 50% overnight on standby?!?
    I had no apps running, the screen was off, but i guess the wifi was on and it was on presentation mode (which shouldn't matter as nothing was running).
    On top of this, I don't even know when it died, it could've been anytime after 2am
    I had the same problem this morning. PB was at > 50% last night at 10pm, and was dead this morning. I thought I locked the screen (hit the power button), but even if I didn't, it should have gone to standby in 5 minutes.

It hasn't done that before, so maybe it was a problem with OS 1710. I just upgraded to that yesterday afternoon. I'll upgrade to 1746 and see if it happens again. I will also go back to shutting it off overnight.
    04-23-11 06:19 AM
    Mine usually drains 20% every 1-1.5 hrs? I have wifi on, and just browsing thru web and watching video etc. I have lowest brightness on screen.

But when I dont touch the PB and leave wifi on, it still drains the same amount?
    I tried switching wifi off, closing all apps...it drains 1% every 5 min? is this right or defective? i'm on 32gb.
    04-30-11 11:50 AM
    I took mine off the charger at 9PM (it was at 100%). Its now 1:30PM, I only woke it up twice to check for updates (been busy with other things today). Leaving WiFi on its now at 93%.
    04-30-11 01:25 PM

-Bill
    What does a dead pixel have to do with battery life?
    04-30-11 02:41 PM
    Visit the link below to have the fix for this. I myself have the same problem. I just did the fix, and I will know after tomorrow if this works for me.

KB26855-The BlackBerry PlayBook battery drains faster than normal or has irregular fluctuations in the battery level

It seems that this situation started with their latest system update.

They suggest to open the Video Chat program and approve the registration. They also suggest to discharge the battery completely, and then let it recharge until the lightning bolt disappears. This should be done at least twice to force the system and battery to learn each other.

As for the Video Chat program, I am now under the impression it is in some type of a resident background loop waiting for a response before it actually can be closed.

I was noticing since yesterday when the Playbook was in standby it was feeling a bit warm on its bottom side when I took it out of the carry case. I turned off the bridge, WiFi, and Bluetooth. Turning these off made only a very small difference.

Jerry G.
    wsoelivan and sleepngbear like this.
    05-06-11 01:25 AM
    mine was warm all day. it's almost 20% by mid day. i try to open video chat, but where is the registration? there is no registration.
    05-06-11 01:40 AM
    mine was warm all day. it's almost 20% by mid day. i try to open video chat, but where is the registration? there is no registration.
    it should pop up the first time you open video chat. similar to when you first launched bbm on a bb you cant use it until you accept the terms.
    05-06-11 02:25 AM
    Hi,
    I had just purchased my 16gb playbook today, and the device is working perfect. I used it for like 4 hours straight until the initial battery charged died. I then charged the device completely to calibrate the battery. I noticed that after it was fully charged, the battery would drain not drastically but it was noticeable during standby. I unplugged the charger at 4pm when it reached 100 percent and went out, i came back at around 7 and noticed that the battery had drained roughly 3 percent (wifi off). I know its not a large amount, but I am used to my ipad staying fully charged overnight. Does anyone else have this problem or am I just paranoid.

Thanks.

*Just another point to add, I had turned off all network and bluetooth settings and dimmed the brightness down before i left.
    Yes, my PB drains a bit over night when in standby. This is the price you pay for instant on. Also, it maintains a network connection over wifi.

When my PB is in standby, I am still able to use wifi file sharing allowing me transfer documents, pictures and videos back and forth between my PB and PC.

The battery drain of a few % over night does not bug me in the least and is well worth the benefits of file sharing and instant on.
    05-06-11 02:39 AM
    it should pop up the first time you open video chat. similar to when you first launched bbm on a bb you cant use it until you accept the terms.
    haven't seen it since i boot up and update the first time. maybe i should do a hard reset? power , vol up and down?
    05-06-11 02:47 AM
    Just start the video-chat app.Imo there is a loop which likes to connect to the videochat-server but can't.

All 4 videochat contacts having no battery issues...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-06-11 04:32 AM
    Hi,

Thanks.

Found this in another post:
    KB26855-The BlackBerry PlayBook battery drains faster than normal or has irregular fluctuations in the battery level
    05-06-11 06:45 PM
    In approximately 8 to 10 hours with the screen turned off and no applications running the Playbook should use about 5% to 7% battery drain in its standby mode.

With the download of OS 1.0.3.1868 there is an issue of excessive power drain with some units. I had this with my unit. There was a notice about this in the Blackberry support site.

The cause was from Video Chat program. The Video Chat when updated goes in to a search loop using a fair amount of CPU demand waiting for a response. The fix is to open the Video Chat program and accept the registration prompt, and then close the program. The Playbook will have to be either tethered or connected to a WiFi to the internet for the registration to be accepted. Once this is done the excessive battery drain should be fixed.

A simple (scientifically crude) way to know if there is excessive battery drain during standby and no user applications are running, it will continuously feel warm when putting your hand on the back side of it. After normal usage, it should take about 10 minutes to cool down. It should feel at room temperature.

After doing this fix, it would be best to run the battery down to near 0%, and then recharge it back to 100%. Doing this at least 2 or 3 times will make a reset of the battery monitoring logic pre-scaling for the accuracy of the battery percentage reading.

To save battery power there are some simple procedures that can be done when using the Playbook.

Don't use the screen brightness at full.

Set the screen to dim and for the unit to go in to standby after maybe 1.5 to 2 minutes, in case you forget to manually put it in standby.

When not required, turn off the bridge, Bluetooth, WiFi, and or the tethering mode.

In the Options (gear tooth symbol) in the General Menu, set the Application Behavior to Paused. This could be a hindrance if you need the apps to remain running while in the background, but it will save some power. I leave mine at default.

When finished with your session, close all the opened apps, and manually put the Playbook in standby.

After doing some tests, I found the above recommendations do save some battery power when the unit is not in use, but for general use with just not leaving apps opened when not in use, the Playbook does last me the complete day for the number of hours I use it each day.

Jerry G.
    anon(835884) likes this.
    05-06-11 07:49 PM
    mine's hot now. there are nothing in video chat, no user agreement. should i try to chat first before getting user agreement? opening video chat won't show any.
    05-06-11 08:50 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD