04-19-11 09:06 AM
    Is this really true?
    04-19-11 09:24 AM
    Is this really true?
    Yes I tested this myself. I changed my password on Twitter and still had full access to my account on UberSocial, T4BB, Issimo and others.
    04-19-11 09:28 AM
    I uninstalled Twidroyd & changed my Twitter password just to be on the safe side. Thanks for the heads up.
    04-19-11 09:28 AM
    I uninstalled Twidroyd & changed my Twitter password just to be on the safe side. Thanks for the heads up.
    Your welcome!
    04-19-11 09:30 AM
    i just changed mine. im on ubersocial
    04-19-11 09:43 AM
    Glad I don't use that stuff.
    04-19-11 09:45 AM
    You have to remove the connection form your Twitter Application settings as well.
    04-19-11 10:47 AM
    Glad I don't use that stuff.
    The good thing about Twitter is that they don't really make you put as much information into the site as Facebook, which makes it a non-issue for me. It's also a lot easier to straight up delete a Twitter account than a Facebook account if you want to do so.
    04-19-11 10:48 AM
    You have to remove the connection form your Twitter Application settings as well.
    That is true. Only thing is What if you lose your phone or someone steals it? They will still be able to access your account through your phone.
    04-19-11 11:00 AM
    That is true. Only thing is What if you lose your phone or someone steals it? They will still be able to access your account through your phone.
    No, because you have removed the App's access to your twitter account and changed your password. When it tries to connect the connection will be denied.

If you don't remove the access, and your Twitter credentials are saved in your mobile browser, the user can just reinstall the app and use the browser's cached access to reauthorize the application (this is true for most services, Facebook, Twitter, and others). A lot of people will change their password, but still keep the browser cookie, which doesn't help at all. You can uninstall the app, and then reinstall it and have it connected without entering in any credentials again. It's very importantn to remove the connection in twitter settings...
    Last edited by N8ter; 04-19-11 at 11:12 AM.
    04-19-11 11:10 AM
    Edit: LOL nvm, you quoted someone else too.
    04-19-11 11:12 AM
    It's not cause I mistook you in your avatar (it's clearly female to me). I just use he/him the same way languages fall back to masculine in general speech because, well... I didn't bother to look and it's second nature to write that way. It's a habit I developed from years of French class :P
    04-19-11 11:14 AM
    It's not cause I mistook you in your avatar (it's clearly female to me). I just use he/him the same way languages fall back to masculine in general speech because, well... I didn't bother to look and it's second nature to write that way. It's a habit I developed from years of French class :P
    Nice! I'm just used to getting mistaken for a male, having an androgynous appearance & being on tech boards .
    04-19-11 11:26 AM
    No, because you have removed the App's access to your twitter account and changed your password. When it tries to connect the connection will be denied.

If you don't remove the access, and your Twitter credentials are saved in your mobile browser, the user can just reinstall the app and use the browser's cached access to reauthorize the application (this is true for most services, Facebook, Twitter, and others). A lot of people will change their password, but still keep the browser cookie, which doesn't help at all. You can uninstall the app, and then reinstall it and have it connected without entering in any credentials again. It's very importantn to remove the connection in twitter settings...
    That is very true. Now we know that but how many people out there know that? Not many..
    04-19-11 11:26 AM
    This is a very important point.

If you protect yourself somewhat (i.e., BB Protect or SmartGuard) the risk is minimized as your can remote wipe your device. Also, if you password lock your risk is minimized. Etc.

I think the most important thing is that this "issue" has been publicized and now we know that IF you do lose your phone, you may want to go here fast and make some changes:

https://twitter.com/settings/connections

This is where you can easily remove authentications.

Also, please note, another important twitter security feature is to go to:

https://twitter.com/settings/account

And check the box for "Always use https".

Common sense will go a long way here.
    PriYankee17 likes this.
    04-19-11 11:53 AM
    thankfully, i don't use any of the above apps except twitter :\
    04-19-11 12:00 PM
    Kudos to you on this. In English, if it's unknown, it's "he." I hate when people use "they" as a singular pronoun when gender is unknown. I also hate when people use "they" instead of "it" when referring to a company.

Example:

RIM is a great company! They make great devices. (incorrect)

RIM is a great company! It makes great devices. (correct)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-19-11 12:45 PM
    Grammar Police in the building
    04-19-11 01:28 PM
    This is a very important point.

If you protect yourself somewhat (i.e., BB Protect or SmartGuard) the risk is minimized as your can remote wipe your device. Also, if you password lock your risk is minimized. Etc.

I think the most important thing is that this "issue" has been publicized and now we know that IF you do lose your phone, you may want to go here fast and make some changes:

https://twitter.com/settings/connections

This is where you can easily remove authentications.

Also, please note, another important twitter security feature is to go to:

https://twitter.com/settings/account

And check the box for "Always use https".

Common sense will go a long way here.
    Check out my Twitter timeline: @sleepy2009 I am talking to Twitter support/developer.
    04-19-11 02:08 PM
    Nice! I'm just used to getting mistaken for a male, having an androgynous appearance & being on tech boards .
    out of topic, but ive always thought you were a dude.
    04-19-11 11:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD