During my BlackBerry PlayBook Review I mentioned that one of the lacking features at launch is autotext/word completion on the PlayBook.

The more I USE the PlayBook the more I realize how badly RIM needs to get this one released asap. The one that kills me is the no automatic capitalization of the first word in a new sentence. You can tell when I write forum posts or emails from the PlayBook right now as I just don't bother capitalizing anything... too much work. I'd love for a double space bar tap to do a period as well... I'm just so used it. Beyond that, I'm curious to see what sort of word suggestion they implement. Sometimes this can become annoying, but I think the PlayBook needs something on it to tackle this.
    04-18-11 03:57 PM
    Presumably this is a side effect of QNX being new to blackberry, but you would hope that all those little bits that speed up the use of a blackberry make it into the playbook soon.
    04-18-11 04:01 PM
    I agree. Just wish I had my PB in hand to complain about it.
    I don't have a unit, but looks like a lot of stuff will be missing come tomorrow morning. I still have not seen anyone confirming bridge is available in app world. autotext and the fact you can't email within apps is what I'm waiting for.
    I've been lucky enough to have the Bridge app and have it working, though with this latest software update the Bridge app needs updating on my phone too and that's not available yet. I heard somewhere it'll go live late tonight. Guess we'll see soon. I have yet to see BBM working on it (I heard a new version of BBM needs to be released that supports Bridge) so we'll see what happens.

But yes.. lots of little things missing for now that I'm sure will make it in. Overall still more than enough there to get us all started and enjoying our PlayBooks.
    04-18-11 04:05 PM
    Kevin,

I just left my local BB and the double space at the end of a sentance did give me the period and capitalize the next word? What didn't work was holding a letter and getting the various options, cap, and all the other symbols. Not sure which buils becasue lady running the department was eyeing me to give it back!
    04-18-11 06:40 PM
    Really? The double space bar doesn't do that? Yikes, I will have to watch it as even the ipad does that. But with the updates coming at break neck speeds, it should come when bigger bugs are fixed.
    04-18-11 07:06 PM
    WOW! I am worried
    I complain that my Computer doesn't auto cap, and double spacebar!

I use Autotext so much on my BB, when typing a technical email I am nearing the equivalent of 150WPM because of my autotext library.

RIM you must bring Autotext to the Playbook, that is a Killer feature that the Blackberry has, you can't be a blackberry without it
    ubizmo likes this.
    04-18-11 07:12 PM
    Hopefully options like SwiftKey come to the PlayBook (that's if you are even allowed to have a user changeable keyboard).
    04-18-11 07:16 PM
    Hopefully options like SwiftKey come to the PlayBook (that's if you are even allowed to have a user changeable keyboard).
    I'm sure RIM will allow that, the whole "Super App" push they did no way they'd lock out something like the keyboard from integration.

though None of the Android Keyboards I've looked at seem to have as nice of Autotext as RIM did natively.
    04-18-11 07:19 PM
    I'm sure RIM will allow that, the whole "Super App" push they did no way they'd lock out something like the keyboard from integration.

though None of the Android Keyboards I've looked at seem to have as nice of Autotext as RIM did natively.
    I would take a look at SwiftKey man. On my Droid X, I barely have to type anything because the keyboard already knows what I want to say. It is pretty amazing. Best software keyboard I have ever used. The predictions are really that good.
    04-18-11 07:31 PM
    I would take a look at SwiftKey man. On my Droid X, I barely have to type anything because the keyboard already knows what I want to say. It is pretty amazing. Best software keyboard I have ever used. The predictions are really that good.

with Autotext I type kkk10035 and I get "10035 chain binder 5/16ths to 3/8ths, 5400lbs WLL" I have about 200 kkk##### codes in my autotext, Auto completion isn't useful when you mix multiple languages which I sometimes must do because of the bilingual nature of some of my clients.
    04-18-11 07:49 PM
    Wow that is extensive
    04-18-11 07:54 PM
    Wow that is extensive
    I unfortunately use about 30 of them every day multiple times a day.
    04-18-11 07:55 PM
    I unfortunately use about 30 of them every day multiple times a day.
    I can understand your frustration with that. At one point I had well over 600 AutoText entries. I've been rebuilding them slowly, after the whole kaboodle disappeared following an OS 6 upgrade.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    ps4rh likes this.
    04-18-11 09:40 PM
    +1
    I need auto text and spell check asap.
    04-18-11 11:04 PM
    Autotext DOES work on the latest build. It doesn't squiggle the words, but it uses the BBs entries when you type them.
    04-19-11 12:14 PM
    How do you use the auto text then?
    04-19-11 12:27 PM
    Autotext is much needed for sure. I am truly surprised it was not available at launch. Oh well. It is still early in this PB game.
    04-19-11 01:20 PM
    There's nothing you have to do to use autotext. Just go to Messages in the BlackBerry bridge and start composing an e-mail and start typing as if AutoText was installed already. You'll see it work.
    04-19-11 02:06 PM
    There's nothing you have to do to use autotext. Just go to Messages in the BlackBerry bridge and start composing an e-mail and start typing as if AutoText was installed already. You'll see it work.
    you seem to be right to the extent that in the bridge messages app the default bb auto txt's seem to be working..ie..changing cant to can't ect, but not the personal ones ive added to the bb, and i cant find anyway to edit them on the playbook. also none of this is happening the web browser.. ie.. this forum post.

also, it gives a spell check squigly line in the browser.. but clicking on it dose t bring up any options...

these things are very important to me... lets go RIM!
    04-20-11 11:45 AM
    Autotext is much needed for sure. I am truly surprised it was not available at launch. Oh well. It is still early in this PB game.
    Didn't knrw that it's available now.
    Enjoying my PB more and more
    08-01-11 06:10 AM
    A paid swype apps would sell well in apps world, I guess.
    08-01-11 06:27 AM
    i second the OP's sentiments. Im afraid they are more focused on new demo modes and language packs... plus.adding new devices to their workload. Blackberry radios, blackberry toasters, maybe blackberry foot measuring devices for making buying new shoes easier. I cant wait.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-01-11 08:13 AM
    you seem to be right to the extent that in the bridge messages app the default bb auto txt's seem to be working..ie..changing cant to can't ect, but not the personal ones ive added to the bb, and i cant find anyway to edit them on the playbook. also none of this is happening the web browser.. ie.. this forum post.

also, it gives a spell check squigly line in the browser.. but clicking on it dose t bring up any options...

these things are very important to me... lets go RIM!
    I guess I am an old school guy, because I don't really care that much about auto text. I was taught to spell, type, and use proper grammer so those features are in the "nice to have but not necessary" field. Please, this is not a slam at anyone who feels these features are essential. I believe I am correct in the assertion that syntax and grammer are not emphasized in schools today.
    TBone4eva and Vidge like this.
    08-01-11 08:29 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD