Has anyone messed around with KOBO? Can you load up epubs? Can you drag and drop books? I havent found much information on the ereader for playbook
    04-17-11 01:17 PM
    From the KOBO Website: "The Kobo eReader supports books in PDF and EPUB format, including those protected by Adobe Digital Rights Management (DRM)."

I haven't tried it yet, as I have been waiting for a decent platform to read an ebook on. My experience with other products is that large files tend to bog them down. Try loading a 1,000 page or more document and see what happens as the reader indexes and reformats each page for the "optimum" experience. Here's hoping that this is not the case but rather it is a seamless one on the PB.
    04-17-11 01:30 PM
    I can't figure out a way to sideload ePub's into Kobo for Playbook yet..

I'm also disappointed there are no page turning effects.. no big deal, but was used to it on iPad 2.
    04-19-11 03:07 PM
    Kobo was promoted when the PlayBook was announced last year as having all these amazing features including social networking. It appears it has none of that. I use the Kobo for iPad as well, and there are way more features included in that version. I can only hope that this will come to the PlayBook as well; it's my favorite e-book reader. At least the bookmarking works across all platforms.
    04-19-11 10:23 PM
    i tried adding an ePub file to the books folder when connected over USB but Kobo does not see it..
    04-19-11 10:55 PM
    I am really wanting a descent ebook reader that you can sideload books to. It appears that Kobo originally was moving in the direction, but have not really followed through on making this possible. Maybe Mobipocket will bring their eReader to playbook. It's not a perfect app, but it does work well with sideloaded books. :crosses fingers and hopes:
    04-19-11 11:57 PM
    Dying for the nook app since I've purchased all my ebooks, or most of them any way, from B&N. I only have a few Kindle books but those were free promos.
    04-20-11 12:14 AM
    I am having the same issue...I have a bunch of epubs that I would like to read on the playbook....Please someone tell me there is some way to read an epub book on a playbook....
    04-20-11 01:34 AM
    I went into the playbook through my computer. There is a book folder, music too. I loaded an album in to the music folder and the playbook recognized it right away. I loaded two DRM free epubs into the book folder, I haven't been able to find them anywhere. Hopefully Stanza or the such will port over to the playbook.
    04-20-11 07:50 AM
    For now the best bet is to use Calibre to convert your books to PDF and load them in the documents folder. then the built in PDF reader can access them. Its pretty primitive but it works.
    04-20-11 07:57 AM
    I have the same issue with the Kobo reader installed on my PC. Could not figure out a way to load any of the epubs I have to save my life. I think it's only meant to sync with the kobo e-reader or to purchase via the web.

The Playbook really needs another e-book reader app.
    04-20-11 08:49 AM
    Hopefully we get some more information on this ASAP. I have an extensive epub library and would like to access them with Kobo. BTW - the Playbook Rocks!
    04-20-11 09:40 AM
    yea.. looks like converting to PDF's is the only way for now.
    04-20-11 10:23 AM
    yes, and compared to PFDs to Go on my Torch, the built in PDF reader is kinda bare bones. for example it does not have book marks, you close it you lose your place. Honeslty for now im going to just read books on my phone. OTOH it is nice for viewing gaming character sheets.
    04-20-11 11:55 AM
    Dear God, whenever one of you of you find away to make this work or another app that will allow me to read my epubs, let me know. At least I can read The Art of War...
    JonManu likes this.
    04-20-11 12:11 PM
    If your epub books are not encrypted, i PROMISE you this will work because i have done it. First you need the shareware ebook manager Calibre

calibre - E-book management

you can use it to convert from non encrypted epub to pdf. Load the pdf files on your PB then you can open them in the pre-installed pdf reader.
    04-20-11 01:02 PM
    I emailed Kobo to see if maybe it was that this app doesn't support epubs and they told me that the app is supposed to be compatible with epubs amd to uninstall and reinstall the app. I haven't tried it yet because I'm not at a very good WiFi spot right now but let me know if it makes a difference.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-20-11 01:50 PM
    I too, am finding this very frustrating. I have pdf documents that I thought I might want to open on the Kobo App. Having looked at the desktop version more closely, I dont think this the book reader that I would want after all. I'm looking for something that has a search function. I would also like to annotate pdf files. I would like a PDF reader with these capabilities on my *professional* tablet.
    04-20-11 02:11 PM
    I emailed Kobo to see if maybe it was that this app doesn't support epubs and they told me that the app is supposed to be compatible with epubs amd to uninstall and reinstall the app. I haven't tried it yet because I'm not at a very good WiFi spot right now but let me know if it makes a difference.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Just tried that with no luck. So far the PDF/epubs issue is a disapointement to me.
    04-20-11 02:27 PM
    I will email them as well to let them know that my epubs do not work.

Come on down ANY OTHER EBOOK READER, make an app.
    04-21-11 09:50 AM
    I too tried sideloading an epub book to the "Books" directory on the Playbook. Kobo does not see it.

I've e-mailed Kobo on this issue and am waiting for a response.

I also e-mailed Mobipocket to encourage them to release a Playbook version of their ereader. I's recommend reaching out to them to add to the groundswell.
    04-21-11 09:53 AM
    I too tried sideloading an epub book to the "Books" directory on the Playbook. Kobo does not see it.

I've e-mailed Kobo on this issue and am waiting for a response.

I also e-mailed Mobipocket to encourage them to release a Playbook version of their ereader. I's recommend reaching out to them to add to the groundswell.
    Did you get a reply yet? I really hope the sideloading would work in Kobo.
    04-21-11 12:39 PM
    BTW, does any one know how to load html files stored locally into the PlayBook web browser? If this work, I can at least read my epub books in the web browser until we have a descent epub reader.
    04-21-11 12:53 PM
    I emailed Kobo back to tell them that their uninstall-reinstall idea doesn't work and they finally told me that the PlayBook app doesn't support ePubs yet. They told me that they were working on releasing the functionality in a future update but didn't have an ETA for that yet.
    04-21-11 01:29 PM
    Either convert them to PDF or convert them to Word. I do hope someone dos build a decent e-reader!
    04-21-11 03:35 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD