I am so sick of hearing reviews that the playbook will launch without a stand alone e-mail client and calendar.....who cares I don't need another devise to check my e-mail and the fact that I can access it on my (soon to arrive I hope) Playbook through my BB bold which is just fine with me! I am looking forward to a real business tablet. If I want 2 million useless APPs I would have bought a iPad! Keep up the good work RIM ....keep it business like with an ability to play if I choose and keep it secure you have set and will remain the business standard for the world.
    04-15-11 10:02 AM
    Agreed. Don't know if it warranted a new thread though

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-15-11 10:06 AM
    I'm not sure I understand what the big deal is? Gmail, yahoo mail, hot mail ect ect all work fine. Any web mail will work. I dont even know if there is any email out there that does not have a web interface. The only thing I can see being a problem is some business email that may not have a web interface.
    04-15-11 10:07 AM
    There's a thread for this.
    04-15-11 10:07 AM
    I am so sick of hearing reviews that the playbook will launch without a stand alone e-mail client and calendar.....who cares I don't need another devise to check my e-mail and the fact that I can access it on my (soon to arrive I hope) Playbook through my BB bold which is just fine with me! I am looking forward to a real business tablet. If I want 2 million useless APPs I would have bought a iPad! Keep up the good work RIM ....keep it business like with an ability to play if I choose and keep it secure you have set and will remain the business standard for the world.

I like the ability to have my email on the device. Is this a deal breaker no. With the ability to run Android apps, it will have options. Since I do not own a BB phone like many others it will turn away some people.

I do understand both sides of the issue.
    04-15-11 10:10 AM
    its obviously a big deal to many people since its being brought up in every review and many threads on here complaining about it. just because it doesnt effect you and you dont understand why doesnt mean its not a big deal. If you cant figure it out then you probably wont understand it even if it was explained to your many times....because I and many others and even reviews like Kevin hhave done just that in many threads.
    04-15-11 10:18 AM
    It would be funny if the first update for the Playbook includes native email capability. Probably won't happen, but would be pretty amusing.
    04-15-11 10:29 AM
    I like the ability to have my email on the device. Is this a deal breaker no. With the ability to run Android apps, it will have options. Since I do not own a BB phone like many others it will turn away some people.

I do understand both sides of the issue.
    I like to have my email local. It comes from the days of dial up and being on e-mail lists before forums came out. Dial up for 10 minutes and disconnect for hours of reading and replying without being connected.

It worked great. But I also don't feel like having it on yet another device. I can barely get email on my phone and my computer to behave with each other. I have another BB user that has big issues that I haven't been able to straighten out yet.

It is funny all I read is. "EVERYONE has switched to web based email" But then they complain that the the Playbook doesn't have a native client for it. Make up your mind.

It was funny when I read reviews and stories about Hummers. Everyonce in a while they would mention that you could inflate your tires while drive 60 mph. But then later would complain that the system leaked. REALLY? Your going to complain about a feature that no other road legal car/truck had?
    04-15-11 10:50 AM
    its obviously a big deal to many people since its being brought up in every review and many threads on here complaining about it. just because it doesnt effect you and you dont understand why doesnt mean its not a big deal. If you cant figure it out then you probably wont understand it even if it was explained to your many times....because I and many others and even reviews like Kevin hhave done just that in many threads.
    No, thats totally not how reviews work.

Reviewers come in with a bunch of prejudices, and even if the product they get is superb, they will pick on the little things it doesn't do. Particularly since the PB gets andorid apps, can tether (read no need to get a 3g one) and has dazzling specs, the lack of email is such an easy thing to pick on.

There are already apps for email if you really want it, and theres web stuff that works fine too.

Realistically, I can't see why I would add my nine email accounts to a tablet when I have my BB in my pocket constantly anyway.

Like I said, its picking holes.

Now when the 3g/4g ones come out, they will almost certainly have proper BB email available, because you'll be paying a subscription to use the RIM servers and it will be able to always get e-mail. For wifi only, with no subsciption, you are at best going to get syncing email as opposed to push.

Which is what it already has thanks to apps, and is EXACTLY THE SAME AS WHAT YOU GET ON ALL THE OTHER TABLETS. All the wifi tablets sync as often as you tell them to whenever they have connection and thats as good as it gets.

No-one else pushes as well as RIM, and even for non-RIM push, you won't get that service free, and nor should you.
    04-15-11 11:03 AM
    Jim Balsillie states email client within 60 days. More on this Wall Street Journal interview video.

RIM’s CEO Talks About PlayBook, Security Concerns - Digits - WSJ
    04-15-11 12:56 PM
    Seems stock holders care as RIMs stock just dropped 1.7 percent.
    It is also getting blaster in the press.

Work in progress? Yes.
    Could it be great a year from now? Yes/maybe.
    Will it win over converts from Apple etc now? No.
    Would I buy it without its own email client? No.

They should of waited until they had it right.
    Mark my words, it will not be a success, as RIM wants it to be
    until it has an email client.

Good for current BB users, bad for anyone else. And right now RIM need the later.

Tim
    04-15-11 01:02 PM
    I have exclusively use webmail for something like 10 years. I have Outlook Express on my computer, but I have never used it. If I don’t need an email client on my full sized computer, why do I need it on my tablet?
    04-15-11 03:07 PM
    I have exclusively use webmail for something like 10 years. I have Outlook Express on my computer, but I have never used it. If I don�t need an email client on my full sized computer, why do I need it on my tablet?
    YOU don't need it on your tablet. Others do/want it.
    04-15-11 03:17 PM
    I have exclusively use webmail for something like 10 years. I have Outlook Express on my computer, but I have never used it. If I don�t need an email client on my full sized computer, why do I need it on my tablet?
    i hate contributing to a thread that shouldn't exist (this is covered in so many other threads but I digress...) but here goes...

this is a wifi only device. you'll likely carry it around with you a lot outside the house (isn't that why it's 7"? for portability?). Your home computer likely stays in your home most of the time with the occasional trip to starbucks; in other words you're always, or almost always, connected to the network. Webmail is therefore always available to you.

If, however, you travel a lot, like I do, and use catch up on a lot of email while traveling (on planes, subways, etc) you tend to find that you're not always connected. In fact, often you're not connected at all. A webmail client is useless in this case.

I find that at home I NEVER use an email client. I have three computers with Outlook in stalled, and none of them have it set up (all three are laptops by the way, so I could travel with them, but don't). My laptop for work, however, uses Outlook and uses it a lot. I never use my OWA webclient on my work machine, always use Outlook client. I get a ton of email catching up done on planes (yesterday was doing it for 6 hours). If I didn't have a BB, I wouldn't get a PB because of this. Since I have a BB, this isn't a concern for me.

By the way, this is the same argument I have for this whole move to "cloud computing". Quite often the cloud is unreachable. Plain and simple, you're scr---d without the network. Something designed with travel and portability in mind shouldn't put you in that position.
    howarmat likes this.
    04-15-11 03:46 PM
    i hate contributing to a thread that shouldn't exist (this is covered in so many other threads but I digress...) but here goes...

this is a wifi only device. you'll likely carry it around with you a lot outside the house (isn't that why it's 7"? for portability?). Your home computer likely stays in your home most of the time with the occasional trip to starbucks; in other words you're always, or almost always, connected to the network. Webmail is therefore always available to you.

If, however, you travel a lot, like I do, and use catch up on a lot of email while traveling (on planes, subways, etc) you tend to find that you're not always connected. In fact, often you're not connected at all. A webmail client is useless in this case.

I find that at home I NEVER use an email client. I have three computers with Outlook in stalled, and none of them have it set up (all three are laptops by the way, so I could travel with them, but don't). My laptop for work, however, uses Outlook and uses it a lot. I never use my OWA webclient on my work machine, always use Outlook client. I get a ton of email catching up done on planes (yesterday was doing it for 6 hours). If I didn't have a BB, I wouldn't get a PB because of this. Since I have a BB, this isn't a concern for me.

By the way, this is the same argument I have for this whole move to "cloud computing". Quite often the cloud is unreachable. Plain and simple, you're scr---d without the network. Something designed with travel and portability in mind shouldn't put you in that position.
    You can tether it to your phone. Internet access is not an issue if you want it.
    04-15-11 03:50 PM
    You can tether it to your phone. Internet access is not an issue if you want it.
    your phone is useless in an airplane or a subway with no signal. until you have signal, you won't be able to read/compose messages offline. For me that would have been more than 6 hours of my workday yesterday.
    04-15-11 03:53 PM
    and before you say "how often is that a problem?" for me, and many others, who travel quite a bit for work, it can be several times a week. That's a big problem if I don't have a BB.
    04-15-11 03:55 PM
    its already on your phone why do you need it in 2 places lol

besides you have a browser for webmail
    04-21-11 05:35 PM
    Sorry - will take a native email client over webmail every time

- no need to log in everytime the browser is closed
    - browser crashes -ARGH
    - local storage for offline access &editing
    - better stability
    - unified inboxes for multiple accounts

Dont get me wrong - love my PB - just REALLY want native apps for email, twitter, etc
    04-21-11 06:06 PM
    I think RIM did not put native email on purpose. To appeal to all the existing BB users while polishing their OS with updates, sort of using us as beta testers until they perfect their OS so they can then distribute it to the masses when it is perfect. That's honestly what I think because I haven't even seen one ad on TV showing this thing or hyping it up. I showed this to a bunch of people and they never even knew what it was, they did get excited over it but still, this should have been a bigger event for RIM then it actually was. I think once the new OS kinks are out, we will be seeing more ads on TV and more hype for the 4G version.
    04-21-11 06:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD