anyone have any idea as to whether the bold touch would be able to upgrade to the QNX OS if thats the direction that RIM is heading IF it is released next year(QNX base OS for blackberry phones) i would hate to spend so much money on a phone and cant upgrade to QNX any ideas??
    04-14-11 08:09 PM
    It's very unlikely.
    04-14-11 08:21 PM
    Total speculation on my part, but I would say no for one reason: CPU core numbers. I'll bet QNX is being used for dual core only and all BlackBerrys will be dual core after all QNX development is complete for its first round of deployment.

QNX light or a lite version of BlackBerry OS 7, nah, why bother.

I'll bet the Bold Touch will be worth the money. I am waiting for that one now: I am at my contract expiry and can use the upgrade for the new and proper Bold!.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-14-11 09:25 PM
    QNX light or a lite version of BlackBerry OS 7
    There can only be one.
    04-14-11 09:48 PM
    No way. They're already too far behind on releases and RIM does not give the customers what they want.

04-15-11 03:26 AM
    I am pretty sure RIM has done plenty for majority of their customers....I swear, enough with the BS...

I will probably hold off for a QNX device being my main upgrade isn't up until Feb of 12'...so by then should have an idea on some QNX devices, hopefully. If not, I will keep on waiting, unless I can get a 6.1 device for a good price used.

04-15-11 05:06 AM
    Absolutely not.

It has been stated by RIM, publicly, that QNX requires a dual core processor to run properly. Here's a link. Read the last paragraph RIM exec talks PlayBook, App World, QNX on phones, and more -- Engadget

No current or near future BlackBerry phone has this.

Wait till next year and see what happens.
    04-15-11 05:19 AM
    I hate to pop your bubble but unless the Bold Touch that I used was special, it will not have QNX.

Maybe something in LATE 2012
    04-15-11 06:00 AM
    ? don't think,either...
    ? think RiM will turn all BlackBerry OS's into QNX which first they on tried Playbook...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    04-15-11 06:17 AM
    I'm not so sure about it being technically impossible to run without dual-core. My guess is they've made a conscious decision to just wait until next year to release a QNX phone. You've seen how many updates are being pushed to the Playbook constantly, imagine the chaos for different form factor phones, on different carriers, etc.

QNX can run on almost anything, I don't think there is an inherent need for dual core cpus although it probably runs, obviously, more efficiently with it.

I'm happy with a 6.1 phone with 1.2 ghz processors in 2011. I'm perfectly happy with how well my Torch runs now with it being into the .500 level firmware for OS6.0. I can only imagine how smooth it'll be with a Bold Touch, as well as how great the design is (finally real metal frame).
    04-15-11 07:45 AM
    I seriously doubt it will be able to have QNX....6.1 OS will be a nice bridge to QNX when it eventually becomes reality in mid-2012. I myself have a Sprint Curve 8330, and need to upgrade asap (Bold Touch 9930) and will be content until 2013 when BlackBerry will have QNX fully running and hopefully competeing with Android & iphones by then.
    04-15-11 08:44 AM
    The QNX micro kernel itself could probably run on any Blackberry from the 8XXX series up from a hardware perspective. If you go to QNX site you will see it was certified to run on old 300Mhz mobile processor. The issue is how complicated the layer above QNX is. The Tablet OS is currently having to be further optimized to work on a dual core and a gig of RAM. So I think it depends on what Highlander turns out to be. Will it be running something more like the Tablet OS, or more of like OS6.1.
    04-15-11 09:38 AM
    Well, seeing as how RIM is slimming down, there is a possibility that the next phone OS after 6.1 will not even resemble what we know to be QNX. It's a real a real possibility that the next OS looks like neither. Which can be both good and bad.

I'm not sure what RIM's thought process is, and with what these reports are saying (Internal Debates, to put it nicely) I'm not sure too many at RIM do either. I like most here would love to see the QNX OS on a phone soon, but Late 2012 is a more likely estimate.

Although, if RIM makes other sizes in the Tablet plan, they might push out a phone sized device. Doesn't hurt to Dream.

04-15-11 12:07 PM
    Just remember that BB has stated that they are taking the playbook launch serious. After that they will focus on phasing out the aging OS and fully running the QNX dubbed OS7.
    04-15-11 02:59 PM
    While they have stated in the past that qnx is for dualcores, one obvious thing to consider will be the 2012 model curves, it is highly unlikely that dualcores will be in low end devices by that point so they have two choices for the os on those devices; producing a qnx lite which could also then be rolled out to existing 6.1 devices too or they would have to extend the lifespan for 6.x which might be simpler initially, but would result in a fragmented situation for apps and the hassle of maintaining another separate codeline.
    04-15-11 05:11 PM
    Absolutely not.

It has been stated by RIM, publicly, that QNX requires a dual core processor to run properly. Here's a link. Read the last paragraph RIM exec talks PlayBook, App World, QNX on phones, and more -- Engadget

No current or near future BlackBerry phone has this.

Wait till next year and see what happens.
    Is this the main source for no QNX in single-core processors? I just read it again and he doesn't say that it won't run on a single-core BB phone. He just says that, *today,* it needs to be dual core on a tablet. Although, I remember there was another link from someone else who actually stated it will only run on dual-core phones.

"FierceWireless: RIM has talked in the past about eventually transitioning its smartphones to the QNX software that powers the PlayBook. Is there any timeframe for that and how would such a transition work?
    Lessard: There's no timeline specific to that. What we've been fairly clear on in our focus with the tablet OS has been to bring it as a no compromise, high performance platform as the future of mobile computing. So today, it will be running on dual-core Gigahertz processor with a GPU [graphics processor unit] product--the PlayBook. As you look at the smartphone side, our focus is on ensuring that we're not compromising on the experience for the sake of running it on different hardware. Over time, we all know we'll see the smartphones continue to evolve with dual-core processors and high-end hardware. And so we're going to continue to evaluate the performance that we can get on the platform in various form factors and be smart about when certain things happen. But we really want to focus on providing the best performance experience for end-users and not compromising on that. What we've been able to accomplish with [Adobe] Flash and Air and so on with the PlayBook is best in class, and it's going to be a great experience for consumers, and we really want to make sure we don't back-step from that and offer a degraded experience because hardware is not ready or the performance isn't there. So we'll see how things evolve."
    04-16-11 08:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD