Hello guys,

My first post here, and good one.

I just read the tweet that PlayBook is starting to ship to developer (That free tablet promotion) from today!

Touchstone (tmgideas.com) is shipping the free BlackBerry #PlayBook tablets for developers. Look for your free tablet to ship soon!� ^MK
    Twitter

I am one of the developers as well, and can't wait for mine

// chall3ng3r //
    04-13-11 04:49 PM
    YAY! Can't wait for my shiny PB!

Now I'm going to be checking my email constantly for the shipping email
    04-13-11 04:55 PM
    would be cool if we can pay them for over night delivery.
    04-13-11 05:03 PM
    Yes!!! Let's hope they get to us early so we can, uh, test our applications? :P
    I made a pathetic TicTacToe game and even code signed it incorrectly, so I can't release it, but they still confirmed that I'm getting a free PB (wish we could pay $100 to upgrade to 32 GB ). I'll probably fix the signing for pride. (once I'm done playing around with my PlayBook.
    04-13-11 05:08 PM
    I can't wait to get my PlayBook! It would be really nice for testing apps before release, because that's what we'll all be doing, right?
    04-13-11 05:11 PM
    Waiting for the final SDK before signing off the app.
    04-13-11 05:14 PM
    Blah, Ive had 3 apps approved for 2 weeks now, still no email about the free PB, emailed them last week (as per Marks instructions on the dev forums), still no reply. Then again I can't say Im all that surprised
    04-13-11 05:17 PM
    Maybe I'm a bit over excited. As some guys pointed out in the tweet, that we should expect to ship them soon.

But that also could mean, it's a go from today, and they will be doing it in batches.

Lets see who gets the shipping tracking number first. Then it'll be sure

BTW, I have two apps approved in App World. Take a look at:
    BlackBerry App World - orison.biz

// chall3ng3r //
    Last edited by chall3ng3r; 04-13-11 at 05:22 PM.
    04-13-11 05:19 PM
    I can't wait! I've had my case for it for over a week now!
    04-13-11 05:20 PM
    Blah, Ive had 3 apps approved for 2 weeks now, still no email about the free PB, emailed them last week (as per Marks instructions on the dev forums), still no reply. Then again I can't say Im all that surprised
    hmmm... when your app is approved you get the "Free BlackBerry PlayBook Tablet Offer" email within 3 days and basically you fill in the order.
    04-13-11 05:30 PM
    Maybe I'm a bit over excited. As some guys pointed out in the tweet, that we should expect to ship them soon.

But that also could mean, it's a go from today, and they will be doing it in batches.

Lets see who gets the shipping tracking number first. Then it'll be sure

BTW, I have two apps approved in App World. Take a look at:
    BlackBerry App World - orison.biz

// chall3ng3r //
    Yeah, I was a bit confused. I didn't want to get overexcited (and consequently disappointed), so I assumed that it meant that they'd be shipping "soon" (we knew this) and they just wanted to throw in who would be shipping them.

A bit OT, cool to see they accepted your app. I remember reading your mini-saga on the dev forums. I guess it was the usage of the PB that caused its delay? Either way, grats.
    04-13-11 05:35 PM
    hmmm... when your app is approved you get the "Free BlackBerry PlayBook Tablet Offer" email within 3 days and basically you fill in the order.
    If you have a qualifying app. They weren't giving PlayBooks away for any app you came up with. If your app didn't meet their requirements you wont be getting a PB. Your app being approved for app world doesn't mean it qualified for a free PlayBook.

I have no idea what email they send you if your app didn't qualify or if they even sent you notification in the event it didn't. I haven't heard of anyone writing and app that didn't qualify but I'm sure it's possible and has happened.
    Last edited by Witmen; 04-13-11 at 05:42 PM.
    04-13-11 05:39 PM
    A bit OT, cool to see they accepted your app. I remember reading your mini-saga on the dev forums. I guess it was the usage of the PB that caused its delay? Either way, grats.
    Heh, yeah. Actually my app was using images of iPad, iPhone and Nexus One for using as template. They held the app, but never notified me about the issue. So, when I got informed via support inquiry, I fixed it and it got approved next day

I am now just waiting for another email telling me the tracking number

// chall3ng3r //
    04-13-11 05:58 PM
    Ya I never got it, I tried to email them last week, but no reply either. But Im sure they "are looking into it and and will get back to me shortly".
    04-13-11 06:32 PM
    Yes!!! Let's hope they get to us early so we can, uh, test our applications? :P
    I made a pathetic TicTacToe game and even code signed it incorrectly, so I can't release it, but they still confirmed that I'm getting a free PB (wish we could pay $100 to upgrade to 32 GB ). I'll probably fix the signing for pride. (once I'm done playing around with my PlayBook.
    Same here, trying to figure out signing.
    04-13-11 06:39 PM
    Ya I never got it, I tried to email them last week, but no reply either. But Im sure they "are looking into it and and will get back to me shortly".
    I got my email and ordered the PB 5 weeks ago.
    Maybe RIM is behind with all the apps that have to approve.
    04-13-11 06:41 PM
    I got my email and ordered the PB 5 weeks ago.
    Maybe RIM is behind with all the apps that have to approve.
    Who knows, but then again its RIM and developers, and you know how well their support is with us....perhaps they're busy breaking appworld reports again, they've been working for a week, its about time they go down.
    04-13-11 06:43 PM
    Don't you have four apps approved?
    04-13-11 07:02 PM
    Don't you have four apps approved?
    Actually its 5 now, 3 were approved 2 weeks ago (thats what i was referring to), and 2 more just recently (1 of which was today).

And just to note with my negativity, as many developers dealing with RIM and RIM dev support know that can be a frustrating experience. Ive had nothing but problems with the PB dev since the beginning and this after RIM has repeatedly said they are improving their dev relations. Its a love/hate relationship And right now Im just really disappointed in them.
    04-13-11 07:04 PM
    Actually its 5 now, 3 were approved 2 weeks ago (thats what i was referring to), and 2 more just recently (1 of which was today).
    They are good apps right? Not very simple apps like equation solvers or crap apps?
    04-13-11 07:15 PM
    They are good apps right? Not very simple apps like equation solvers or crap apps?
    Games mostly, they arent Need for Speed, but I would think they qualify. PlayBook | ShaoSoft
    04-13-11 07:16 PM
    Those are a lot better than a lot of the apps I've seen that did qualify. You should definetly be getting a PlayBook. I'd keep on them about it. Cause something don't seem right here.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-14-11 12:34 AM
    Has anyone received the official email stating that their playbook was shipped or would be shipped?
    04-17-11 07:16 PM
    The PlayBooks haven't shipped. That tweet only said who was shipping it and that they would ship soon. So in otherwords it don't mean nothing. Soon could mean anything. The terms have always said we would get the free PlayBook after it became commercially availible in your country. So hopefully they will ship them the 19th.

Also don't expect an email when it gets shipped. The same company shipped BlackBerry styles to developers a little while ago and a lot of those developers (possibly all of them) did not get a email when they shipped. The styles just showed up on their door step.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-17-11 07:37 PM
    Yeah I was hoping to get the PlayBook at least on the day people are able to buy it but i'm starting to fear that's not gonna happen unless they are already on their way and they just haven't sent out any notices about it. Hoping the test house did a good job and my app runs as well as it does on the simulator on the real hardware. I'd like to prevent people from getting a crappy experience.
    04-17-11 07:48 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD