04-13-11 09:23 AM
    I really enjoyed this. Good for him - and I like how legal/PR was there saying he can't comment on it.

anyways go Mike
    04-13-11 10:16 AM
    Wow. Again they need to put some better people out there as the face and voice of RIM. The Dynamic Duo of Jim and Mike just aren't cutting it. This is definitely not going to help them out with their poor perception from the Market.
    04-13-11 10:17 AM
    i thought he was going to cry....its like someone kicked his dog or something. All he had to say is "no comment" but instead he went into some spin of how RIM is getting picked on by india.
    Blacklatino and infamyx like this.
    04-13-11 10:21 AM
    Mike's problem with the interviewer seems to be because the interviewer is saying "it's a security problem with Rimm"... But Mike says "it's a National Security problem".
    Last edited by WillHeSurvive; 04-13-11 at 10:29 AM.
    04-13-11 10:26 AM
    Well done Mike. The BBC gutter press just will not give up. imo MIke should have gottten up and left much earlier.
    andyahs, sf49ers and pmccartney like this.
    04-13-11 10:32 AM
    Mike's problem with the interviewer seems to be because the interviewer is saying "it's a security problem with Rimm"... But Mike says "it's a National Security problem".
    Another awful performance by Lazaridis. I understand the 'issue' and Mike had a golden opportunity to frame it correctly for the audience and the interviewer, but instead chose to get annoyed that no one saw it his perspective right off the bat. It was an incredibly childish and stupid response, and the look in his eyes, it's obvious the man is under tremendous stress at the moment.

Mike, here is what you should have said: 'Governments around the world deal with data transmission in different ways, RIM has been working closely with various governments to ensure, first and foremost, that the needs of our customers are met, while at the same time, respecting the national security concerns of sovereign countries' - THE END.
    Last edited by jvic31; 04-13-11 at 10:40 AM. Reason: typo
    04-13-11 10:38 AM
    Yeah I'm pretty disappointed by this. RIM gets enough unfair press as is. The last thing it needs is an actual legit reason for bad press like this.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-13-11 10:39 AM
    If anyone's really been following the matter in India...

One would conclude the issue is now irrelevant ....RIM is going to commit the construction of a manufacturing facility and distribution hub in India...

This is more an issue of bargaining on India's part as they apply the threat of a blackout to solidify RIM's increased investment in India...

That is a rap on that matter..and be assured this is now a trivial non relevant issue moving forward..

Now on to the interview ....I commend Mike L...the interviewer was clearly manipulating the matter and exaggerating the situation by putting a rude false spin to the nature of the situation....

Mike L doesn't need the distraction of ignorant media....Focus on task!

Mike L should take a page out of the Pierre Trudeau book...just tell'em to f+@k off!
    pmccartney likes this.
    04-13-11 10:41 AM
    i thought he was going to cry....its like someone kicked his dog or something. All he had to say is "no comment" but instead he went into some spin of how RIM is getting picked on by india.
    Have you ever done an interview and said "no comment" no comments is almost an admission of wrong doing in the media.

The Interviewer was pushing an issue that was a Non issue, he was asking questions pertaining to another countries National Security and saying it was a RIM problem.

Like RIM can comment about another nations national security and expect to continue to do business there, BUT Mike had to defend that it isn't a RIM Security issue, it is a Governance difference in those countries.

Well done Mike, you handled yourself well, your interview stills still are not stellar, as you looked overly emotional, and shifty, but you handled the question properly and moved it away from the interviewer trying to blame things on RIM
    04-13-11 10:45 AM
    That moron interviewer had no idea what the situation was actually about. Those middle eastern countries want the ability to monitor ENCRYPTED emails. Blackberry provides encryption, and this does not fit well with the 1984-esque views of many countries that try to encroach upon the privacy of their citizens. Asking a question like that was completely out of line, and the fact that we just saw this clip says to me that Mike was growing tired of being bashed during a long interview. The British media tend to be assholes, I know enough from living there for years.
    sf49ers and WillHeSurvive like this.
    04-13-11 10:47 AM
    No comment means move on or the interview would be over if it was me!
    04-13-11 10:49 AM
    Another awful performance by Lazaridis. I understand the 'issue' and Mike had a golden opportunity to frame it correctly for the audience and the interviewer, but instead chose to get annoyed that no one saw it his perspective right off the bat. It was an incredibly childish and stupid response, and the look in his eyes, it's obvious the man is under tremendous stress at the moment.

Mike, here is what you should have said: 'Governments around the world deal with data transmission in different ways, RIM has been working closely with various governments to ensure, first and foremost, that the needs of our customers are met, while at the same time, respecting the national security concerns of sovereign countries' - THE END.
    "The Interviewer was pushing an issue that was a Non issue, he was asking questions pertaining to another countries National Security and saying it was a RIM problem." deRusett.
    04-13-11 10:56 AM
    Have you ever done an interview and said "no comment" no comments is almost an admission of wrong doing in the media.

The Interviewer was pushing an issue that was a Non issue, he was asking questions pertaining to another countries National Security and saying it was a RIM problem.

Like RIM can comment about another nations national security and expect to continue to do business there, BUT Mike had to defend that it isn't a RIM Security issue, it is a Governance difference in those countries.

Well done Mike, you handled yourself well, your interview stills still are not stellar, as you looked overly emotional, and shifty, but you handled the question properly and moved it away from the interviewer trying to blame things on RIM
    right, so he cant comment on it legally.

and yes i actually have had to use the "no comment" reponse before during an govt investigation. It does feel like you are admitting guilt i agree but that is why you have legal teams to answer those questions
    04-13-11 10:57 AM
    Too bad we didn't get to see Mike play with the PlayBook in that clip.
    04-13-11 11:23 AM
    here's a suggestion Mike. Find someone at your vast company who is good with the media and use them.
    04-13-11 11:29 AM
    I thought Mike was pretty calm and collected. When you read his quote, you imagine him to be irate or something, but he calmly said "we don't have a security issue".

On the other hand, the interviewer seemed to not know anything with questions like "so, are all your security problems behind you now?".

Mike clarified a few times, but the guy kept repeating himself. I guess Mike figured, this guy doesn't get it, and doesn't want to hear what I have to say - GAME OVER.

I say way to go Mike.
    04-13-11 11:50 AM
    Haven't seen the link yet (on my BB), however RIM IS getting picked on India. Want the indian govt wants is unreasonable.
    They want access to enterprise data. The thing is BB enterprise, from what I understand, only extends the company's LAN to a mobile device.
    The govt of India wants remote anonymous access to BES/BIS. This means they can snoop on internal company data without going thorugh the legal route. This is unaccetpable. Our country's law allows access to a company's network/ data through a judicial system once due cause has been proved in court. If the Govt wants access to BES then they can simply go to court and get a warrant for access to the company's LAN.
    Remote anonymous accees by our Govt's agencies is dangerous due to the corruption in our systems. If this was allowed then competitor companies would bribe govt officials to get access to senstive data of a company, happens all the time.
    Kudos to RIM to have stood their ground on this matter.
    My country is a fledgling democracy with all the pitfalls of a corrupt democracy. There is no oversight comittee to maintain checks and balances.
    There should be no reason why our corrupt agencies should get remote anonymous access to anyone's data when there is a judicial procedure in place to get hardware access to a company's database if they suspect wrongdoing.
    RIM has earned a lot of respect in India by standing their grounds.

04-13-11 12:04 PM
    Poor Mikey Lardass took his ball and went home... wwwaaaaaahhhhh....

What a disgrace for RIM having that guy as co-CEO and as a representation of your company... Frankly, he should be fired. He is clearly clueless, and on many fronts.
    04-13-11 12:47 PM
    here's a suggestion Mike. Find someone at your vast company who is good with the media and use them.
    NO!!

Find someone from outside your current company who has strong speaking skills, an understanding of technology, and looks good on Camera,

Every person they have had do presentations from within the company have been awful.

I'm no saying get a PR house, but higher someone from PR with a technical background
    Blacklatino likes this.
    04-13-11 01:38 PM
    This interview, combined with Mike B's comments last week where he is wondering why RIM isn't appreciated by the market, just shows that the current negativity towards RIM in the market is taking it's toll on both of them. Either "Man Up" or hire some people who aren't emotionally invested to deal with the media. Or here's a crazy idea: Get some stuff to market that ***** slaps your critics in the face and has them are saying "Wow did RIM drop a bomb on us?". Get the OS6.1 stuff out quick!
    04-13-11 01:58 PM
    Wow. Can't wait to watch this.

And you can flip the "no comment" right back on the media and make them look dumb for asking those questions.

He should have asked the interviewer to explain what security issues he is referring to.

04-13-11 04:14 PM

It's a shame that a CEO making millions and a legal department probably making more could not even think to say that.

And to go into an interview unprepared to deal with a question dealing with the much publicized India-RIM clash is unprofessional.
    04-13-11 05:10 PM
    That moron interviewer had no idea what the situation was actually about. Those middle eastern countries want the ability to monitor ENCRYPTED emails. Blackberry provides encryption, and this does not fit well with the 1984-esque views of many countries that try to encroach upon the privacy of their citizens. Asking a question like that was completely out of line, and the fact that we just saw this clip says to me that Mike was growing tired of being bashed during a long interview. The British media tend to be assholes, I know enough from living there for years.
    That's the point of an interview, right? To get an idea, straight from the horse's mouth?

Have you ever given or conducted an interview before? If they knew everything, what would be the point?
    04-13-11 05:11 PM
    NO!!

Find someone from outside your current company who has strong speaking skills, an understanding of technology, and looks good on Camera,

Every person they have had do presentations from within the company have been awful.

I'm no saying get a PR house, but higher someone from PR with a technical background
    Have you sent in your Resume, yet? :P
    04-13-11 05:14 PM
87 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD