Normally, when I purchase items online, I don't pay a sales tax. I'm about to buy two Playbooks (for me and wife) and I don't want to shell out the 8% ($79) sales tax that my state imposes.

So here's my question to you as the informed masses. Where can I find the Playbook online that isn't going to impose a sales tax? I realize that it may not be possible and if I can't get it, then so be it. But if someone here has found the oasis that I seek, please share.
    04-13-11 08:05 AM
    Probably not possible considering all the retailers will have a presence in the state thus making them charge tax. Look at the bright side though, at least they won't charge you shipping AND tax. Unless you choose something other than standard shipping that is.
    04-13-11 08:14 AM
    If you live near Delaware like me, just take a quick little drive....or you can buy it on ebay
    04-13-11 08:18 AM
    Also, I'm not sure how it is in Texas, but in Ohio, they have a "Use Tax" that you are supposed to pay to Ohio on all items purchased outside of the state that were not charged sales tax. Supposed to make it more "Fair." Very stupid, but if you want to be legal, you have to pay it.
    04-13-11 08:25 AM
    Well if AAFES was selling it then all you would need is for some military worker to purchase it for you. You don't have to pay tax on base.
    04-13-11 08:26 AM
    Normally, when I purchase items online, I don't pay a sales tax. I'm about to buy two Playbooks (for me and wife) and I don't want to shell out the 8% ($79) sales tax that my state imposes.

So here's my question to you as the informed masses. Where can I find the Playbook online that isn't going to impose a sales tax? I realize that it may not be possible and if I can't get it, then so be it. But if someone here has found the oasis that I seek, please share.
    You can preorder from Wireless Giant, you will not pay any tax. They will ship out on April 18th.

here is the link

Wireless Giant - PlayBook Pre-order
    NamelessLiar and Lawcheehung like this.
    04-13-11 08:36 AM
    Also, I'm not sure how it is in Texas, but in Ohio, they have a "Use Tax" that you are supposed to pay to Ohio on all items purchased outside of the state that were not charged sales tax. Supposed to make it more "Fair." Very stupid, but if you want to be legal, you have to pay it.
    Virginia has the same thing. Just because vendors don't collect it doesn't remove your responsibility to pay it.

I feel guilty if I don't add most of that up at the end of the year and pay the state taxes. It's mostly my Amazon purchases.

Edited to add: State auditors have been cracking down on some businesses and people who come over from Tennessee for the cheaper taxes since we are right on the state line. They have gone through their books and checked up on the consumers to see if they reported those purchases.
    Last edited by InnerChild; 04-13-11 at 08:38 AM.
    04-13-11 08:36 AM
    Internal Revenue Service

I am sure they can answer any question you have.
    xxplosive82 likes this.
    04-13-11 08:43 AM
    Buy it anywhere in Delaware, it's tax free.
    04-13-11 08:51 AM
    You could wait and buy it in somalia. I believe they have no taxes or government. That way you can just keep everything in your coffers.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-13-11 08:55 AM
    You can preorder from Wireless Giant, you will not pay any tax. They will ship out on April 18th.

here is the link

Wireless Giant - PlayBook Pre-order
    Check that link Nameless, but you have a Wireless Giant store in Texas at the GB Airport, so I am not sure that will work.

And for the record I agree, I get raped enough, and I don't loose sleep for not paying sales tax.
    04-13-11 08:59 AM
    Check that link Nameless, but you have a Wireless Giant store in Texas at the GB Airport, so I am not sure that will work.

And for the record I agree, I get raped enough, and I don't loose sleep for not paying sales tax.
    I went through the checkout and had it estimate the tax and is assessed none. I'm going to move some money around tonight and give it a shot.

You could wait and buy it in somalia. I believe they have no taxes or government. That way you can just keep everything in your coffers.
    They'll likely get it after the UK launch and I have no desire to wait that long...
    04-13-11 09:32 AM
    I went through the checkout and had it estimate the tax and is assessed none. I'm going to move some money around tonight and give it a shot.
    Good, usually if there is a store in your state, you get nabbed. Hope it works for you.
    04-13-11 09:59 AM
    Alaska, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire, and Oregon have no state sales tax.
    04-13-11 10:04 AM
    They just started the crap in IL that if buy online and pay no taxes they want you to report it and pay the taxes on it.................... yea right.
    04-13-11 10:14 AM
    I'm so pissed, I'm driving through New Hampshire on monday! Why can't I do it on tuesday so I can save myself $50!??!?!
    04-13-11 10:22 AM

all you can do is hope Amazon.com gets it soon
    04-13-11 10:25 AM
    I could get a tax free letter from my office, BUT as someone pointed out that would be tax fraud, and homie don't play that! We are only supposed to use the letters when we are buying something for work related purposes, and the office is paying. And much as I wish the office was paying for my PB, they ain't!
    04-13-11 10:27 AM
    I could get a tax free letter from my office, BUT as someone pointed out that would be tax fraud, and homie don't play that! We are only supposed to use the letters when we are buying something for work related purposes, and the office is paying. And much as I wish the office was paying for my PB, they ain't!
    I need to save my receipt because I will be able to write the PlayBook off. I am self employed (small business owner) and can definitely write off a PlayBook. This is perfect! Didn't even think of this until now. Thank you PK!
    04-13-11 10:42 AM
    I don't blame the OP for not wanting to pay sales tax. I too have started to make an effort to buy "big ticket" items online to avoid taxes. Usually I get free (slow) shipping but I don't mind that knowing I am coming out ahead in the end.

Heck, with the $75 the OP is saving he could dam near upgrade one of those PB's to the 32 gb model and be spending the same. Smart move if you ask me.
    NamelessLiar likes this.
    04-13-11 10:51 AM
    Where are you paying $160.00 in sales tax? Best Buy it was not quite $60 on sales tax - in Texas. That was for the 64gb
    04-13-11 10:53 AM
    They just started the crap in IL that if buy online and pay no taxes they want you to report it and pay the taxes on it.................... yea right.
    All states do that or most anyway they just to publicly tell you that. Think lights (both front AND REAR) on a vehicle. By law they are supposed to be on when it is raining out in Pennsylvania. But it is not publicly posted like it is in New Jersey.

The issue that I see in PA with sales tax if you do report it they have no idea what to do with it.
    04-13-11 11:01 AM
    If you see any sellers on eBay selling brand new ones at a good price then go for it since you most likely won't have to pay tax. I live in Delaware so all retail is tax free which is a benefit to living in this boring state. But the about eBay is that most buyers are looking to pay for something without tax which is why they are on there. So what's a good deal for them may not be a good deal for you. I know since I live in a tax free state, it's hard getting stuff on eBay for a price that's much better than me just going to the store to get it.
    04-13-11 11:16 AM
    Following U.S. states do not have tax on consumer goods. I'm going to vegas and doing a 4 hour stop over in Montana after PB release to pick one up.

Alaska 0.0%
    Delaware 0.0% 0.0%
    Montana 0.0%
    New Hampshire 0.0% 0.0%
    Oregon 0.0% 0.0%
    04-13-11 11:19 AM
    If the OP wants to legally find a way to buy the playbook or any other device without paying sales tax then I don't see what's wrong with that. Do you guys realize that our country has agreements with certain countries on imports and exports to avoid taxes paid on these goods? So if our country finds a way to avoid taxes then we can too, especially if they are doing it legal. Plenty of people drive down here to Delaware from Philly or NJ to the Apple store to buy products so they won't have to pay tax. Why pay 80 bucks in tax on a new laptop if you can make a 40 minute drive and get it without it? Don't see anything wrong with anyone wanted to avoid paying sales tax if there is a legal way to do so. You guys are too rough on people sometimes
    04-13-11 11:33 AM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD