For RIM to keep your business?

I'm just curious. I don't really have much that I demand from RIM however these 2 things are what will keep RIM's business with me, for now:
    1. Give the Torch 1 OS6.1 (doing this will mean I definitely stick around until QNX, and sport a QNX BB)
    2. Keep the Torch form factor (or make a GSM touch-screen Style)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-13-11 02:20 AM
    I don't believe Apple or HTC or Motorola will be offering 6.1 for the Torch or a GSM Style either, dude.
    04-13-11 02:54 AM
    Doubt 6.1 will be out for the T1, but the T2 will have it, which there are videos and a hands-on review about it. Looks nice!

04-13-11 02:55 AM
    You'd expect so. My other BB (the 8520 of all phones) got OS4.6 to OS5. Making it so the Torch only gets OS6 (not 6.1) is likely to cheese a lot of people off. I'd rather not get the T2 as I've only had the T1 a month. Water damaged too so return is not an option.

I don't believe Apple or HTC or Motorola will be offering 6.1 for the Torch or a GSM Style either, dude.
    If I do swap companies I wouldn't want OS6.1. Plus they have their own renditions of the Style/Torch so that would be a moot point. I named the Torch and Style as they're RIM's own and hence what I want THEM to do.

04-13-11 03:04 AM
    Kills me how people get so mad a lack of OS upgrades. Did rim promise 6.1 for the T1 when you bought it?

If QNX doesn't come to my S2 I'm jumping ship. Rim owes me.

04-13-11 06:14 AM
    I need Rim to keep doing what they're doing now, anything else is a bonus.

04-13-11 06:27 AM
    Is the phone as good or better than when you got it? Will it not work anymore if it doesn't get OS 6.1?

Really people need to understand it happens all the time. Did your xp computer get upgraded to vista or 7? No it didn't and I bet you didn't expect it to be.

The one thing that will hurt RIM this year is that if 6.1 is a stop gap and no one wants to develop for it then there may be a lot of people that will skip it all together and wait for QNX.
    04-13-11 06:35 AM
    I'll use BlackBerrys as long as they are around.

04-13-11 08:46 AM
    I just want my damn PlayBook already!!!!!!!!!
    andyahs likes this.
    04-13-11 08:47 AM

Plus one on that!

04-13-11 09:52 AM
    All I want from RIM is to make certain apps that both iPhone and BB have available free for BB just like they are for iPhone. Example: Shazam, its free for iTouch/iPhone users but all we get for free is a limited trial version.

Other than that, I love RIM.

04-13-11 09:56 AM
    I guess I also don't get why anyone who cares about 6.1 that much isn't gonna just buy a device that will have it anyway. I know I love BlackBerry enough I always have the latest model anyway. And don't throw the financial argument at me either. I'm by no means wealthy and we obviously can all afford these extravagant cell phone plans anyway. It just seems silly to be very worried about the software upgrade and not the hardware upgrade as to whether you'll stay with Blackberry or not.

04-13-11 10:29 AM
    All I want from RIM is to make certain apps that both iPhone and BB have available free for BB just like they are for iPhone. Example: Shazam, its free for iTouch/iPhone users but all we get for free is a limited trial version.

I guess you missed it a few months ago when It came out that the free shazam app preinstalled to the iphones data mined the crap out of them.

BlackStormRising likes this.
    04-13-11 10:44 AM

Ditto that. As long as BB's keep doing what I need my phone to do as efficiently and intuitively as they do, I'm not going anywhere.

04-13-11 11:04 AM
    My list:

1. Keep BBM solely on blackberries. I like blackberries and the way they work, etc, but honestly this is the only thing truly keeping me on a blackberry. If they really do open it up to everyone, I'd probably make the switch and I think a LOT of others would as well.

2. Offer current hardware with software to match. We're pretty much stuck in the "stone age" of smart phones, aside from perhaps the Torch. I think RIM should stick to a different style plan... focus on releasing + polishing one new model every year, or something similar. People could keep track and upgrade/etc as needed for their models.

3. More apps. No matter which way you cut it, even if the phone had full flash support on the browser, etc, you NEED apps. It's just like a computer. Imagine purchasing a PC or mac with only a few thousand programs to choose from for EVERY category. In the big picture, that's nothing.. and with smart phones verging closer to a personal computing experience every day, this is extremely important.
    04-13-11 11:11 AM
    04-13-11 11:20 AM
    Is the phone as good or better than when you got it? Will it not work anymore if it doesn't get OS 6.1?

Really people need to understand it happens all the time. Did your xp computer get upgraded to vista or 7? No it didn't and I bet you didn't expect it to be.

The one thing that will hurt RIM this year is that if 6.1 is a stop gap and no one wants to develop for it then there may be a lot of people that will skip it all together and wait for QNX.
    Uhmm - well, actually yes. I was able to upgrade many XP machines to Vista and quite a few to Win 7. And yes many people expect a device to have an upgrade path these days. Which I believe is more than fair. Manufacturer's release electronic devices with a significant amount of bugs these days, especially RIM, and expect users to be patient while they sort the bugs out. You may have 30 days to return the device, but you are out a whole lot of inconvenience, and if you change platforms probably a bit of change in any apps you purchased. Now I know some people don't value their time, but me, an hour of my time is worth a whole lot more than any device.

So in short- yes, I expect an upgrade path for most devices. Anyone who thinks they're getting one with RIM, hasn't been paying attention for the last 2 years. 6.0 devices will likely not get 6.1. And 6.1 devices will not get QNX. If you're locked to a BES or BESX the 6.1 devices are HOT!!! If you're free to choose, I'd think twice before going BB.
    04-13-11 11:23 AM
    I guess you missed it a few months ago when It came out that the free shazam app preinstalled to the iphones data mined the crap out of them.

Sorry - I missed this one. Please provide a link to Apple forum, BGR or some other site reporting this. I'd like to read more about this.

Thanks.
    04-13-11 11:43 AM
    So in short- yes, I expect an upgrade path for most devices. Anyone who thinks they're getting one with RIM, hasn't been paying attention for the last 2 years. 6.0 devices will likely not get 6.1. And 6.1 devices will not get QNX. If you're locked to a BES or BESX the 6.1 devices are HOT!!! If you're free to choose, I'd think twice before going BB.
    I only expect an 'upgrade' path insofar as keeping the delivered OS up-to-date and bug-free. If they can fit a new OS in an older model, great; if not, I like upgrading the hardware anyway.

I'm not locked into BES, I'm free to choose. I'm sticking with BB because they work for me and I know what I have with them. I have given it second thoughts each time I've upgraded, and so far I haven't had a single regret.

04-13-11 11:48 AM
    I'm not locked into BES, I'm free to choose. I'm sticking with BB because they work for me and I know what I have with them. I have given it second thoughts each time I've upgraded, and so far I haven't had a single regret.

You are a happy man. Nothing at all wrong with that.
    04-13-11 11:51 AM

I just put the free Shazam on my new iPod Touch 4 and while it may be the full version, it limits users of to 5 tags a month. You have to get the paid app for unlimited use.

Edited: Just saw the post about the data mining. I'm deleting it, even though I don't have any personal info/contacts in my iPod. Just goes to show... there is no free lunch!
    Last edited by InnerChild; 04-13-11 at 11:55 AM. Reason: added last para
    04-13-11 11:52 AM
    Sorry - I missed this one. Please provide a link to Apple forum, BGR or some other site reporting this. I'd like to read more about this.

Thanks.
    http://blogs.wsj.com/wtk-mobile/
    http://mobile2.wsj.com/device/article.php?CALL_URL=http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704694004576020083703574602.html?
    Just did a quick search, maybe this will refresh the memory, shazam was one of the worst as it came pre-installed on iphones. You can take it from here.

Last edited by belfastdispatcher; 04-13-11 at 12:02 PM.
    04-13-11 11:56 AM
    Uhmm - well, actually yes. I was able to upgrade many XP machines to Vista and quite a few to Win 7. And yes many people expect a device to have an upgrade path these days. Which I believe is more than fair. Manufacturer's release electronic devices with a significant amount of bugs these days, especially RIM, and expect users to be patient while they sort the bugs out. You may have 30 days to return the device, but you are out a whole lot of inconvenience, and if you change platforms probably a bit of change in any apps you purchased. Now I know some people don't value their time, but me, an hour of my time is worth a whole lot more than any device.

Did you upgrade from xp to w7 for free though?

04-13-11 11:59 AM
    It's amazing how quick people forget

iPhone and Android Apps Breach Privacy - FoxNews.com

Not the mention the recent Pandora scandal.

04-13-11 12:04 PM
    it would be nice to have a Bold 9780 that DOESN'T have a stutter keyboard problem

04-13-11 12:45 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD