Hey there - I've been searching for a resource that can help with a BlackBerry Torch SIM reader/holder repair but have come up empty handed. Most places out there cannot repair this piece of the device.

So to the crackberry nation - do you or know anyone who can fix the SIM reader in a BB Torch? I'm in the states, but can ship the phone anywhere.
    04-12-11 10:14 AM
    This may be a silly question, but is it still within the 1yr manufacturer's warranty?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-12-11 10:17 AM
    This may be a silly question, but is it still within the 1yr manufacturer's warranty?

I have no idea if it is. I bought it on eBay, then proceeded to put a micro SIM into a micro SIM adapter, and it popped out when inserting. The adapter caught on to one of the pins, and my bonehead move of the day was to just pull the stuck adapter out - with a nice shiny piece of brass attached. I got a replacement device, but I'd like to fix this one as a backup.

I went without a blackberry for 1 week, used an iPhone4, and was dying to get back to BlackBerry. Never again will I sway to a platform that cant dial a conference number from the calendar location field!
    04-12-11 10:34 AM
    You could try contacting the seller, to see where he/she got the phone, you might be able to being it to them?

04-12-11 10:40 AM
    I have no idea if it is. I bought it on eBay, then proceeded to put a micro SIM into a micro SIM adapter, and it popped out when inserting. The adapter caught on to one of the pins, and my bonehead move of the day was to just pull the stuck adapter out - with a nice shiny piece of brass attached. I got a replacement device, but I'd like to fix this one as a backup.

I went without a blackberry for 1 week, used an iPhone4, and was dying to get back to BlackBerry. Never again will I sway to a platform that cant dial a conference number from the calendar location field!
    From my years with BlackBerry, I've never found a site which can replace the entire SIM holder/reader mechanism, I've always had to pass bad news on to people that once it's out, it's out for good. You may be able to find a smaller company somewhere who may be able to source the component, however I think the likelihood of the replacement working would be slim, due to the way that the SIM slot and reader is mounted on all devices.

I personally never recommend using MicroSIM adapters unless it's really necessary, I've done it in my Bold 9700 before, when I was waiting to get payment to buy a Torch, but I was very careful about how I went about removing and inserting the SIM and adapter.

Sorry to be (at least at this point) the bearer of bad news. D:
    04-12-11 10:59 AM
    Try having a look @ Faceplate | Housing | Repair parts | Accessories | Mobile parts - Cellular Accessories | Mobile they might have a replacement part, or maybe a new housing that comes with the part you need?

04-12-11 11:02 AM
    Try having a look @ Faceplate | Housing | Repair parts | Accessories | Mobile parts - Cellular Accessories | Mobile they might have a replacement part, or maybe a new housing that comes with the part you need?

The issue he's having is that he ripped the reader and holder right off the PCB, it's a piece that soldered right onto the silicon PCB board of the device. While it's possible to find the component from some (less than reputable) sites online, the issue is reattaching it to the board, which requires a steady hand, a soldering iron, the replacement reader/holder and a good eye, and even then it's not guaranteed to work.
    jfalkingham likes this.
    04-12-11 11:08 AM
    The issue he's having is that he ripped the reader and holder right off the PCB, it's a piece that soldered right onto the silicon PCB board of the device. While it's possible to find the component from some (less than reputable) sites online, the issue is reattaching it to the board, which requires a steady hand, a soldering iron, the replacement reader/holder and a good eye, and even then it's not guaranteed to work.
    Ahhh. Sorry! I didn't know the pin(s) were soldered to the PCB. I assumed itbwas some sort of "cradle" for the sim, that was coonnected to the PCB...

Sorry for the confusion

04-12-11 11:11 AM
    Ahhh. Sorry! I didn't know the pin(s) were soldered to the PCB. I assumed itbwas some sort of "cradle" for the sim, that was coonnected to the PCB...

Sorry for the confusion

No worries. We learn things every day.

A cradle of sorts would work and would prevent this sort of thing from happening, but I'm guessing it's not done due to the risk of the SIM loosing contact with the PINs in the course of using the device, which would cause a huge mess on all sorts of levels.
    04-12-11 11:13 AM
    The issue he's having is that he ripped the reader and holder right off the PCB, it's a piece that soldered right onto the silicon PCB board of the device.
    OUCH! This would explain why I can easily find the parts for the SIM reader in a Storm, but not the Torch.

Ok - well, I guess its off to eBay to be sold as-is for parts. I see dummy torches selling for $100, so I can salvage something out of it.

It was my own stupidity, so no problem being accountable. I know there is an AT&T repair center in Waltham, MA I may drive down to and see what happens.

I cut the size of my SIM to stick in an iPhone 4 to do a demo of email/calendar/contacts for one of my clients. A day later I killed the Torch and thought "whatever, I'll use the iPhone".... 2 days later I was dying... the iPhone is NOT for business. It rocks on a lot of points, but calendar scheduling/management/conferencing was definitely lacking in so many areas. Who would have thought a smartphone could not dial a number in the location field of a calendar entry?

Thank you for all the replies.
    04-12-11 12:23 PM
    From personal experience with PCB'S and components being ripped off, your local computer repair shop generally has the tools to do such a job if you still had the piece you ripped out or you were able to obtain a new one. Soldering pcb's isn't overly diffucult if you have some knowledge and experience.

04-12-11 06:01 PM
    Just contact the seller and ask them where they bought it from and take it to that shop and ask for a warranty exchange. Worked for me and my old 9700.
    04-12-11 06:08 PM
    We at cellulartech can repair these kind of problems
    you can visit our website for more detail
    www.cellulartec.ca
    we are in canada.
    04-18-11 04:10 PM
    www.cellulartec.ca
    we are in canada.
    I tried to go on your site. I gave me error.
    04-18-11 08:41 PM
    www.cellulartec.ca
    we are in canada.
    Your site is: GTA Toronto Blackberry Apple iPhone Anroid repair etobicoke
    04-18-11 08:51 PM
    There is a place in toronto canada. Kmasterelectronics.com and also cellphonetoronto.com also does professional blackberry repairs for these kind of issues.

06-12-11 12:19 AM
    same thing happened to me, i tried to use an adapter for the sim card and it was a disaster..i tried a local repair and no luck and it cost me money, i tried the place in canada and no luck and it cost me money,i tried PDA REPAIRWORLD.COM and it was fixed in 24 hours and cost me a total of 88.94 including shipping back and forth to Texas..phone number is 877-423-4922....i obtained this from Crackberry.com...enjoy
    joe
    01-26-12 07:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD