I went to the demo today, and I was asking questions and looking for anything that could be new information, and I found out a lot. First, the questions:

- With the bridge, BBM groups, including group chats and lists and such, will all be transferred over!!!

- Skype will be a true app on the PlayBook

there were several other questions that were too hard even for her BBM contact to tell me. By the next time I go to a demo she should have information on:
    - how to right-click in a browser-based game
    - whether the front-facing camera functions as a webcam would in websites
    - whether there is a file manager
    - whether you can use multiple user accounts
    - whether you can install browser plug-ins

Also, I noticed something as I was browsing through the options menu: WiFi File Transfer!!! I have a picture attached to show the menu where I saw it. It clearly states that it is for accessing your PlayBook files from other places (perhaps including an HDTV with WiFi), so let's see what comes of it.
    wms3, schiri, Intosh and 19 others like this.
    04-09-11 06:42 PM
    - Skype will be a true app on the PlayBook
    Thanks for all the info!!

Could you please elaborate on what this means.
    04-09-11 07:01 PM
    Thanks for all the info!!

Could you please elaborate on what this means.
    What it means is I asked the RIM rep "will there be a Skype app?", and she said yes, then BBM'd her techie RIM contact, who also said yes. I didn't get any more information than that about that, but the rep seemed like she knew enough that she wouldn't assume "Skype" meant any video chat app, she definitely meant Skype.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-09-11 07:04 PM
    I noticed while playing with the demo that the facebook and twitter icons only bring you to their websites in the browser. That's kinda lame, hop they make a twitter and fb app.

The nofiication in the left top corner was cool, it was like a red circle fire icon kinda.

Can't wait till the 19th!

04-09-11 07:05 PM
    I noticed while playing with the demo that the facebook and twitter icons only bring you to their websites in the browser. That's kinda lame, hop they make a twitter and fb app.

The nofiication in the left top corner was cool, it was like a red circle fire icon kinda.

Can't wait till the 19th!

If it'll make you feel better, when I was at a demo last week I tried the twitter app and it was a real app, but I forgot to check FaceBook.

04-09-11 07:09 PM
    can we bbm on pb without a blackberry?
    04-09-11 07:12 PM
    I would assume no, but haven't asked yet.

04-09-11 07:15 PM
    No you can't the icon only shows up when bridged...This will be remedied after launch and support for BBM without BBBridge will be possible come mid 2011

Thanks for the new developments!
    Intosh likes this.
    04-09-11 07:19 PM
    whether the front-facing camera functions as a webcam would in websites

o_o.

Thanks for the info jean!
    04-09-11 07:52 PM
    whether the front-facing camera functions as a webcam would in websites

o_o.

Thanks for the info jean!
    chatroulette.com. Does it work on the PlayBook?
    04-09-11 07:56 PM
    I'll test it next time, unless I'd need to set up an account to use it.

04-09-11 07:58 PM
    You probably don't want to be testing out chatroulette in-store xD !
    04-09-11 08:01 PM
    You probably don't want to be testing out chatroulette in-store xD !
    thanks for the heads-up. I guess I'll try something else to test the webcam.

04-09-11 08:18 PM
    gross dude
    04-09-11 08:24 PM
    gross dude
    Well I was thinking about sites that used Flash to use webcam and that website came to mind.
    04-09-11 08:31 PM
    Try www.neave.com/webcam on the PlayBook

It uses the webcam like chatroulette, but with 100% less male-junk.

Plus, the site has a bunch of CPU-intensive flash demos to test out the PB's full capabilities
    Last edited by Dekerta; 04-09-11 at 08:55 PM.
    04-09-11 08:51 PM
    this sharing files across the network deal, I wonder if it works both ways? i.e. can the PB access shared folders on computers on my network? How cool would that be?
    04-09-11 09:24 PM
    Come on, does anyone actually think they won't make an app for facebook and twitter??? If its not available on launch I'm pretty sure they will be available soon

04-09-11 10:52 PM
    I'm not sure if RIM will make an Facebook app...one reason is that the browser is so good that you can just run a desktop version of facebook on the playbook...
    04-09-11 11:41 PM
    I'm not sure if RIM will make an Facebook app...one reason is that the browser is so good that you can just run a desktop version of facebook on the playbook...
    I think people would rather have their notifications to come to their device vs checking the browser every time to see if they have new messages.
    04-10-11 02:52 AM
    Come on, does anyone actually think they won't make an app for facebook and twitter??? If its not available on launch I'm pretty sure they will be available soon

Guys there already IS a facebook and twitter app for playbook...
    watch as this guy scrolls through the menu..

04-10-11 04:31 AM
    Someone recently confirmed the Twitter app, but before both of those shortcuts used to launch the browser page. I don't know if the FB app has been confirmed yet but I do know someone talked about it.
    04-10-11 04:48 AM
    You can always go to the facebook page on the browser and try to change your profile picture by using the webcam. It gives u an option to upload a picture or take a picture with ur webcam using Flash.
    04-10-11 04:56 AM
    Try www.neave.com/webcam on the PlayBook

It uses the webcam like chatroulette, but with 100% less male-junk.

Plus, the site has a bunch of CPU-intensive flash demos to test out the PB's full capabilities
    Ok, I'll try that site at the next demo. It sounds like a good one.

04-10-11 07:55 AM
    this sharing files across the network deal, I wonder if it works both ways? i.e. can the PB access shared folders on computers on my network? How cool would that be?
    Judging by the options menu, it looks like this is only for accessing your PlayBook files through other devices (maybe through your WIFI connected TV!). There may be something else, but if there isn't I'm sure somebody will make an app.

04-10-11 07:58 AM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD