I've been on .246 forever, and I'm afraid to jump up because if I do, I will lose all my media, games and bbm friends and such. Also if I do use a "leaked" update, what will happen if and when att comes out with the official one? Ill just wait for att (whenever that is) because because dowloading and installing a leaked OS, you need an expert and its way to tedious and ill lose all my stuff.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-09-11 03:14 PM
    AT&T is notoriously slow when it comes to OS updates, and they have always been that way.

If you are not comfortable with installing an official OS from a different carrier or installing a leaked OS, you will probably wait a long time. Carriers in Europe and Asia usually release official OS updates quite a bit sooner than AT&T.
    04-09-11 03:19 PM
    I can understand not wanting to download a leaked update - I'm a bit leery of doing that myself. But official updates are official updates. It's not going to affect anything or be any different to the one that the carrier will eventually authorise.
    04-09-11 03:25 PM
    What are the risks

04-09-11 03:30 PM
    Will I lose all my stuff?

04-09-11 03:32 PM
    No you won't. In any case, if you do a back up via Desktop Manager, at worst you can always go back to where you were before.
    04-09-11 03:37 PM
    So why do people hesistate?

04-09-11 03:44 PM
    Most people won't even realise it's an option I would think.
    04-09-11 03:48 PM
    So why do people hesistate?

Because they dont know that unofficial/leak releases are exactly the same as their official version.

They think that leaks are plagged with bugs, and the official version of the same number will have these bugs corrected, which is plain wrong.
    04-09-11 03:55 PM
    So why are people it screws up their phone?

04-09-11 03:59 PM

Im sorry what?
    04-09-11 04:05 PM

remember, you can always go back! each person has one thing or another they like or don't with each release. some have more dramatic interpretations of leaked os releases. fact is, once in this loop, it's addicting. like so many others, you engage the quest for the "perfect" os and you hope the next will build on something good!

it should be mentioned, though at&t is the subject of this thread, all the u.s./north america telecoms are slow in os releases. all of them! and, one other thing, if you don't like something, you can always go back! always!
    04-09-11 04:48 PM
    remember, you can always go back! each person has one thing or another they like or don't with each release. some have more dramatic interpretations of leaked os releases. fact is, once in this loop, it's addicting. like so many others, you engage the quest for the "perfect" os and you hope the next will build on something good!

it should be mentioned, though at&t is the subject of this thread, all the u.s./north america telecoms are slow in os releases. all of them! and, one other thing, if you don't like something, you can always go back! always!
    how do you go back?
    04-09-11 05:08 PM
    WOW, the instructions for downloading the 536 looks unbelievably scary. I dont even understand the steps
    04-09-11 05:12 PM
    If you don't understand any of it I would just wait or do A LOT of reading about OS leaks and updates before you think about doing it on your phone.
    04-09-11 05:46 PM
    If you don't understand any of it I would just wait or do A LOT of reading about OS leaks and updates before you think about doing it on your phone.
    That's excellent advice. I must admit when I first looked at how it is done I thought it incredibly complex and involved. It took a fair bit of learning and reading before I realised it wasn't - that it's actually a piece of cake. But it does look intimidating to begin with.
    04-09-11 06:01 PM
    WOW, the instructions for downloading the 536 looks unbelievably scary. I dont even understand the steps
    I think you mean 526 not 536, anyway just follow them step by step if you get lost check the Blackberry 101 web page they have tutorials on how to do something for your BlackBerry.
    04-09-11 07:13 PM
    It sounds hard but really it's as simple as downloading the OS and running to add it to your pc. At that point go into the app loader by following the steps...you'll see it takes you right there. Once you open and scroll down and see the vendorxl sticking out like a sore thumb and delete it then you just go back to the loader and run it with your phone plugged in. It adds itself and restarts. It's really that simple.
    04-09-11 07:54 PM
    when i first started, i printed out most of what i needed, made a checklist, downloaded all the software (bbsak, the upgrade itself, etc.) and began getting my feet wet.

the good news is, if you get lost there are many knowledgabe people here who are willing to help.

good luck and remember, everything is scary the first time we do it.
    04-09-11 07:54 PM
    You know, it IS a scary concept and it's certainly intimidating to say the least.
    I, for the first time, finally upgraded to a leaked OS (.526) last week and while I can say it took a lot of guts on my part, and that it was more than just a little nerve-wracking, I can tell you that in all honesty I'll be doing it again without hesitation.
    The biggest fear I had was of the unknown, and I'm sure that's most of the fear that everyone else has about upgrading. We have no idea what we're doing on that first time and don't know what to expect at what times.
    Read through everything you can find, take your time and don't rush, you want to get as comfortable as you can before doing the upgrade.
    I found one thing that helped me get a better handle on the whole situation was I actually went and downloaded and installed the OS on my PC where it sat and did nothing for a few days while I did more research.
    Good luck and enjoy the differences when you get there
    04-10-11 04:27 AM
    Oh my,

You know, it IS a scary concept and it's certainly intimidating to say the least.
    I, for the first time, finally had sex last week and while I can say it took a lot of guts on my part, and that it was more than just a little nerve-wracking, I can tell you that in all honesty I'll be doing it again without hesitation.
    The biggest fear I had was of the unknown, and I'm sure that's most of the fear that everyone else has about sex. We have no idea what we're doing on that first time and don't know what to expect at what times.
    Read through everything you can find, take your time and don't rush, you want to get as comfortable as you can before sex.
    I found one thing that helped me get a better handle on the whole situation was I actually went and downloaded and installed a sex guide on my PC where it sat and did nothing for a few days while I did more research.
    Good luck and enjoy the differences when you get there
    04-10-11 05:12 AM
    hehe...they are quite similar when you edit it that way, aren't they?
    I can tell what was on your mind this morning
    04-10-11 05:31 AM
    Try and look for some videos on YouTube about it? See if that helps you out.
    04-10-11 06:29 AM
    Really, the worst part about the upgrade is making sure you've backed everything up properly, including any keys for your paid apps.
    Once you're back up and the .exe is installed, it's easy as pie (and no that's not a reference, gbsn!) To delete the Vendor file and then click the loader application.
    30 minutes later and you've got a brand new OS

04-10-11 06:38 AM
    On a leaked OS, there is no need to delete the vendor.xml file as the OS isn't carrier branded yet. You only need to delete that file when its an "official" carrier release that's not your carrier.

As most have said, it does look like a daunting task, but once you've done it it really isn't that hard and you'll be a pro at it for the next time.

P.S.
    It does sound like were talking about sex.
    04-10-11 06:47 AM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD