Hi Everyone,

I'm still wondering how to effectively encrypt all Media stored on the SD Card?

I would like to manually add Music, Pictures and Videos and have all of them encrypted. How can I do that without sending one by one via Bluetooth or EMail?

How do you handle the encryption?

Hope for some input.

Thanks!
    04-07-11 05:12 PM
    1) copy everything to your pc via usb

2) format your card on your blackberry

3) go to options/security/encryption/ turn on media card encrypt and include media files

4) transfer all files back from the pc to the blackberry via usb
    04-09-11 12:34 PM
    Keep in mind, though, that if the media card is encrypted and the device fails, you will not be able to read the files on another BlackBerry device or on a PC card reader, if you use randomly generated device key.
    Last edited by lak611; 04-09-11 at 06:07 PM. Reason: added information
    04-09-11 12:50 PM
    Even on another BlackBerry?
    I didn't know that, I'm turning encryption off.
    04-09-11 05:55 PM
    It looks like you could view them on another device if you use user password. However, random device key would render the files unusable. KB16088-How to encrypt internal and external file systems on BlackBerry smartphones

I do not use encryption, since I do not have any pictures that are unsuitable for publication in family-friendly newspapers.
    04-09-11 06:10 PM
    1) copy everything to your pc via usb

2) format your card on your blackberry

3) go to options/security/encryption/ turn on media card encrypt and include media files

4) transfer all files back from the pc to the blackberry via usb
    I have already tried that but unfortunately none of the data gets encrypted. Only files that I add trough EMail or Bluetooth appear as an encrypted file.

I would really like to add all my data but encrypt it. One day it gets into someones hands and they can read 90% of the data.

Code:
    As lak611 already stated, it appears that you have 2 options for encryption.
    1. Just encrypt with a password of your choice (use on any device)
    2. Use a password and bind to the device. (It seems like you won't even be able to use the data after a re-install of the OS on the same device.)
    04-12-11 04:53 AM
    it does work, just take your card off your bb and put it on a card reader, then plug it in your pc and you shall see.
    04-13-11 10:43 PM
    follow up to the original question --

is the media card password the same as the password as I've selected for my device? (i used encryption mode "security password" when encrypting the card)

i set the settings above and was not prompted for a new password. my phone is a used phone, so i'm concerned about any previous passwords, but am fairly certain it's a not issue (better safe then sorry).
    09-12-11 12:35 AM
    Transferring files to your media card using the "USB" (mass storage mode) method will not result in encrypted files on your media card even if media card encryption is turned on. You have to use the "Files" feature that's part of Desktop Manager 6. It's simple. Open Desktop Manager, connect your BlackBerry, enter your password when prompted, wait for it to finish connecting, click "Files," then drag and drop from folders on your computer onto the appropriate Desktop Manager "Files" folder. This system works really well. And yes, you have to use "Device Password" as the encryption mode if you want to be able to view your encrypted media files on a different device. If I were you, I wouldn't encrypt music. Just transfer it using USB mode. But encrypt your private pictures. On my own device, I have some pictures I transfer speedily using USB mode (stuff like wallpapers which I don't care to encrypt) and some pictures I transfer using Desktop Manager (the private stuff I want encrypted).

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by T�nis; 09-13-11 at 07:31 PM.
    09-13-11 07:06 PM
    follow up to the original question --

is the media card password the same as the password as I've selected for my device? (i used encryption mode "security password" when encrypting the card)

i set the settings above and was not prompted for a new password. my phone is a used phone, so i'm concerned about any previous passwords, but am fairly certain it's a not issue (better safe then sorry).
    The media card password is the same as the password for the device you originally use to load the pictures. If you change your device password, your media card will automatically have the new password (unless the card is not in the device when you change the password -- then it will still have the old password). If you take your encrypted files media card out of your device and put it in another device, that device will prompt you for the media card password (the password for the device the card came from). It will also ask if you want to change the media card's password to the new device's password. This is all provided you set "Device Password" as the media card encryption mode.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by T�nis; 09-13-11 at 08:04 PM.
    09-13-11 07:12 PM
    You don't have to turn it off. Laura said, "if you use randomly generated device key" (i.e. one of the other two modes). Just make sure your media card encryption mode is set to "Device Password," (only) and your media card will work in another device, so long as you remember/know its password.

A note for all to remember:

When you transfer media card files back and forth between pc and device using the "USB" (mass storage mode) method, encrypted files will remain encrypted, and unencrypted files will remain unencrypted. If you want to view encrypted media card files on your pc, or if you want to encrypt files you're transferring to your device, use the "Files" feature of Desktop Manager 6 -- it's also a drag and drop method.
    Last edited by T�nis; 09-13-11 at 08:06 PM.
    09-13-11 07:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD