this is getting beyond ridiculous. terrible battery life, general slowness, and worst of all, random reboots several times a day.

im sure this dead horse has been beaten, but i mean seriously, how could they wait so long to release OS6, and release such a crappy version?
    04-06-11 01:01 PM
    get the leaked version of 6.0.0.524 - it's pretty great. or try out a hybrid.
    04-06-11 01:05 PM
    Actually, most people are have a very good experience with 431. This has been a very stable OS. I'm guessing it isn't the OS but your device and how it loaded. How did you load the OS?
    04-06-11 01:07 PM
    IMO, thats a huge issue with BB OS upgrades. it isnt straightforward for the average user.... Joe Shmo should just be able to download an update for his device, and not worry about "how it loaded" and whether he will need to wipe the device and start over. he shouldnt have to worry about having to find a PC to do the upgrade, since RIM still cant support upgrades via DM via Mac. thats not a good way to present your devices. i love my blackberry, but im personally ready to try something different. /vent
    04-06-11 01:10 PM
    Solid build. The best I've ever used, and I've used a lot.
    jaydee5799 likes this.
    04-06-11 01:15 PM
    I understand your frustration, but it is unfair to slam an OS just because you are having problems with it. There are ways to install a BBOS with a Mac that will work just as good as an install with a PC. Maybe you should either try that or as your suggesting move to a device that you can make your necessary changes with a Mac the way you want.
    04-06-11 01:16 PM
    this is getting beyond ridiculous. terrible battery life, general slowness, and worst of all, random reboots several times a day.

im sure this dead horse has been beaten, but i mean seriously, how could they wait so long to release OS6, and release such a crappy version?
    Actually, 431 is probably the best OS build out there for 9650. I have run them all, with the exception of 436, and 431 is stable, smooth, has almost no lag, and I never had a single random reboot.

You may want to see if some of the apps you have installed are the root cause of your issues.

+1 for 524, it fixes some of the bugs, like wifi browser connect and the copy paste issue from 443 and 466.

support upgrades via DM via Mac
    Support for updates via Mac is a priority for Apple/iphone, not so much for RIM. I don't blame them either.
    Last edited by pcgizmo; 04-06-11 at 01:28 PM.
    04-06-11 01:25 PM
    Yep Official OS is good solid build, but with some little quirks here and there.

But .524 is cats meow
    04-06-11 01:30 PM
    Random reboot issue for me was due to poor, fluctuating signal. This in turn will cause your battery to drain.

My solution turned out to be a hybrid PRL provided by VZW tech support. No more random reboot or signal drift.

You can also try updating your PRL: *228 > send > option 2. You could also have a tower issue in your area. Been through that as well.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-06-11 02:43 PM
    524 is best imo, but 436 is pretty good. 431 was pretty good for me too, but 436 is better.
    OP, you maybe have apps running in the background? Google Maps is a big one to be sure is shut down.
    04-06-11 07:51 PM
    No problems here with .431. Works great for me. If it was the build, everyone would be experiencing similar problems -- they're not.
    04-07-11 09:51 PM
    I have .431 and it runs like a charm. Love it.
    04-08-11 03:11 AM
    I'm another guy running .524. It's a good way to go. Just make sure you give your phone a good wipe before you install an OS.
    04-08-11 03:14 AM
    Wiping your phone before installing an OS won't hurt, but it isn't necessary. The App Loader performs a wipe automatically before it loads the OS.
    04-08-11 06:15 AM
    I'm another guy running .524. It's a good way to go. Just make sure you give your phone a good wipe before you install an OS.
    Not necessary

Wiping your phone before installing an OS won't hurt, but it isn't necessary. The App Loader performs a wipe automatically before it loads the OS.
    +1, I don't BBSAK wipe my BB anymore, why do the same step twice??
    04-08-11 07:04 AM
    I have .431 and it runs great.
    04-08-11 12:08 PM
    524 is best imo, but 436 is pretty good. 431 was pretty good for me too, but 436 is better.
    OP, you maybe have apps running in the background? Google Maps is a big one to be sure is shut down.
    I've test driven 222, 280, 333, Sprint's 415, VZW's 431, 443, 466 and now 524. I never tried 436 as I'd moved on to 524 when I heard about 436.
    Last edited by pcgizmo; 04-08-11 at 12:34 PM.
    04-08-11 12:25 PM
    IMO, thats a huge issue with BB OS upgrades. it isnt straightforward for the average user.... Joe Shmo should just be able to download an update for his device, and not worry about "how it loaded" and whether he will need to wipe the device and start over. he shouldnt have to worry about having to find a PC to do the upgrade, since RIM still cant support upgrades via DM via Mac. thats not a good way to present your devices. i love my blackberry, but im personally ready to try something different. /vent
    You can use Mac to update your device. Heck I am on sprint and I used my Mac to install 431 from vz.
    I had good luck with 431 until I was a few weeks in and it started to lag. I installed 524 and it's soooooooo much better IMO.

04-08-11 11:06 PM
    You can use Mac to update your device. Heck I am on sprint and I used my Mac to install 431 from vz.
    I had good luck with 431 until I was a few weeks in and it started to lag. I installed 524 and it's soooooooo much better IMO.

But, you can't install leaks or other carrier's OS's with a Mac. So Macs work if you're like being limited in what you can do.
    04-09-11 10:41 AM
    Yep Official OS is good solid build, but with some little quirks here and there.

But .524 is cats meow
    How is your batt life on that .524

04-09-11 08:34 PM
    How is your batt life on that .524

The battery life is pretty good on 524. some people say it is a little better on 431 or 436 but not that much difference then 524. I think 524 is a little faster in some areas like browsing, and app loading.
    04-09-11 09:54 PM
    But, you can't install leaks or other carrier's OS's with a Mac. So Macs work if you're like being limited in what you can do.
    Yes you can. The only thing that stops dm from knowing your phone isn't on that carrier is the web. Download any os from any carrier, install it on your computer, disable your connection to the web and then plug your berry in. It will say new update available.
    That's why I said I have 524 and a Mac. Give it a try and let me know if that worked for you.

04-09-11 11:52 PM
    The battery life is pretty good on 524. some people say it is a little better on 431 or 436 but not that much difference then 524. I think 524 is a little faster in some areas like browsing, and app loading.
    I am still not a big fan of the native browser but opera runs circles around the oem browser. Apps and everything else runs soo much smoother on 524. It's an awesome version.

04-09-11 11:54 PM
    I am still not a big fan of the native browser but opera runs circles around the oem browser. Apps and everything else runs soo much smoother on 524. It's an awesome version.

I like OM6 better as well. But even the oem browser is better with 524.
    04-10-11 12:08 AM
    Yes you can. The only thing that stops dm from knowing your phone isn't on that carrier is the web. Download any os from any carrier, install it on your computer, disable your connection to the web and then plug your berry in. It will say new update available.
    I well aware of how DM works.

That's why I said I have 524 and a Mac. Give it a try and let me know if that worked for you.

Unless you run a windows emulator, last I knew Macs didn't work with .exe files. I don't have a Mac.

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=580807
    Last edited by pcgizmo; 04-10-11 at 08:08 AM.
    04-10-11 08:04 AM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD