what do you guys use?
    I will be using this on my torch.

autowifi is free
    smartwifi is paid (but i have a free download from handango)

thanks
    04-06-11 11:37 AM
    I use neither.
    04-06-11 03:09 PM
    Neither, just leave wifi on. It's not the battery drainer many make it out to be. Being connected to the mobile network drains the battery far more than wifi.
    04-06-11 03:23 PM
    I agree 100%. OS5 seemed to have a bigger drain than OS6. No need.
    04-06-11 03:44 PM
    I think it depends on how crowded the area around you day by day. I live and work in the city center, so there are a huge number of WLAN hotspots around, and the network scan in the background maybe uses more power with Wi-Fi turned on all the time.

That's why I use SmartWIFI.
    04-06-11 04:04 PM
    i picked up SmartWifi for .99 on sale.. it works great, and now im able to get 2 days out of my battery with moderate to heavy use, versus 1 day with wifi on all the time.
    04-06-11 06:35 PM
    smartwifi is a great choice, love that app
    04-06-11 06:39 PM
    i see so many comments on how wifi left on does not affect the battery and vice versa. hope to see more comments, and still waiting to learn which is more true, wifi always on or an auto wifi app? thanks for the responses so far.
    04-06-11 08:00 PM
    Wifi Manager (app world) and littlebrother (emacberry) are excellent alternatives that are free.
    04-06-11 08:09 PM
    if the wifi radio is constantly trying to connect to a wifi connection but doesnt have the password or whatever so it wont connect its going to drain the battery more than if the radio was not even on
    04-06-11 08:14 PM
    I use SmartWiFi since the first version about a year ago. It works great and I have always got free updates. So yeah, I recommend that one
    04-06-11 09:16 PM
    Smartwifi was a waste of time, and you will get spammed to death by S4BB Ltd so stay away from their products, they have very poor business practices.
    04-07-11 11:43 AM
    if the wifi radio is constantly trying to connect to a wifi connection but doesnt have the password or whatever so it wont connect its going to drain the battery more than if the radio was not even on
    My deactivated Storm2 would last for days here at work with wifi on and constantly trying to connect to a locked network.

Maybe that was the one good thing about 9550's 5.0.0.1015, I'll ask dave
    04-07-11 11:48 AM
    lmao love to see his response
    04-07-11 12:01 PM
    Neither, i have a internet on a limit of 500MB, i'm not getting to this limit. So i always use normal internet and only wifi for youtube and streaming. I turn wifi manually on and off.
    04-08-11 04:28 AM
    I use SmartWiFi since the first version about a year ago. It works great and I have always got free updates. So yeah, I recommend that one
    Yes but you appear to be employed by S4BB anyway so of course you like it and get free updates. It is also likely you have a special "employee and reviewer" version which doesn't steal data from your phone...

I'm just going through some threads and and banning/purging all the multiple usernames used only to shill for S4BB. Discredited promotional tactics by a disreputable "company". Please see "No Advertising" and "One username" topics in http://forums.crackberry.com/f39/pos...uidelines-113/
    myself.london likes this.
    04-08-11 08:10 AM
    Yes but you appear to be employed by S4BB anyway so of course you like it and get free updates. It is also likely you have a special "employee and reviewer" version which doesn't steal data from your phone...

I'm just going through some threads and and banning/purging all the multiple usernames used only to shill for S4BB. Discredited promotional tactics by a disreputable "company". Please see "No Advertising" and "One username" topics in http://forums.crackberry.com/f39/pos...uidelines-113/
    i noticed this in the battery watch thread last night! i wondered if they were all the same person
    04-08-11 11:54 AM
    wow crazy guys, i just want real answers not someone promoting their product. thanks crackberry MOD's you guys work fast.
    04-08-11 10:18 PM
    Smartwifi was a waste of time, and you will get spammed to death by S4BB Ltd so stay away from their products, they have very poor business practices.
    I fully agree!
    While Smart Wifi seems to be working fine, I cannot say that it saves any battery life as its own battery consumption constantly running in the background and testing the cell location is a power drain by itself. And, then, as suggested by others, Wifi connection by itself is not a big drain.

And then there is the whole business practices of S4BB which should be banned from the BB community!
    They send tons of spam (even if you opt out), the promise free upgrades but rarely deliver on their written promises.

For example, I have purchased a few apps from them, all came with "lifelong free upgrade guarantee". Most of their apps were useless and I abandoned them. But 3 were useful to me: Smart Wifi, ActionPad and World Dialer (BerryDialer). With these 3 apps I have never managed to upgrade or change device (even to the same device). Each time I changed my device/PIN, it was an issue to get a new code from S4BB. They make you cruel on your knees and bag for a new code even if your BB is of a similar model and just a new PIN number.

Another example, is that they issued the Smart Wifi app for 9900/OS7 in App World but have not released the same updated version to MobiHand. I purchased the app from MobiHand a few months ago and now can not use it as S4BB didn't release the version for OS7 on MobiHand. Their email response to my request came in after a week and said: "we will consider releasing this version on MobiHand in the future". I have a few similar emails from them regarding the 2 other apps (which I stopped using by now as it is too annoying to deal with S4BB's customer service).

These are disgusting business practice and I hoep the BB community shows its back to S4BB.
    11-09-11 12:52 PM
    [QUOTE=branta;6203870]Yes but you appear to be employed by S4BB anyway so of course you like it and get free updates. It is also likely you have a special "employee and reviewer" version which doesn't steal data from your phone...

I'm just going through some threads and and banning/purging all the multiple usernames used only to shill for S4BB. Discredited promotional tactics by a disreputable "company". Please see "No Advertising" and "One username" topics

Just another example of the many annoying business practices of S4BB... Sad
    11-09-11 01:25 PM
    Wifi Manager (app world) and littlebrother (emacberry) are excellent alternatives that are free.
    Wifi Manager does the job for me. Set once and forget. I go to places that have wifi that I don't want to connect and transmit data over. WM remembers for me and only connects where I tell it to.
    11-09-11 01:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD