So apparently, I'm being unwillingly transitioned to AT&T. This really sucks because my wife just upgraded from the Storm 1 to Moto Droid 2. I'm almost due for my upgrade and was looking forward to the Thunderbolt or other droid device. Now it looks like I might be screwed out of it... Does anyone know more about this? Apparently I was supposed to have been given a choice of replacement phone, though I was never contacted. Is there anyway to avoid this? We had AT&T before and hated it. HELP ME!!!

Here is the website I'm redirected to when I click "upgrade my phone" on my Verizon site...
    Welcome to AT&T
    04-06-11 07:41 AM
    Wow, This is crazy. I've never heard of this happening. Sorry I can't help. I hope someone has a suggestion for you.
    04-06-11 08:18 AM
    Why are they transitioning you to another service provider? What reason has Verizon Wireless given you? How were you notified about this? I think that if you are unwilling being forced to change to another provider, you should contact Verizon Wireless to determine the exact date of the switch and then call AT&T and ask for a supervisor to address your concerns.
    04-06-11 08:24 AM
    Were you previously an Alltel customer? Your area might be affected by the VZW/Alltel merger that happened a while back. Does VZW still have a presence in your area? You're correct though... it sucks!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-06-11 08:40 AM
    So apparently, I'm being unwillingly transitioned to AT&T. This really sucks because my wife just upgraded from the Storm 1 to Moto Droid 2. I'm almost due for my upgrade and was looking forward to the Thunderbolt or other droid device. Now it looks like I might be screwed out of it... Does anyone know more about this? Apparently I was supposed to have been given a choice of replacement phone, though I was never contacted. Is there anyway to avoid this? We had AT&T before and hated it. HELP ME!!!

Here is the website I'm redirected to when I click "upgrade my phone" on my Verizon site...
    Welcome to AT&T

And now back to ATT. You will still be given choice of phone, as long as it is an ATT phone to go along with your ATT service.
    04-06-11 08:45 AM
    Would you mind telling us roughly where you are located? Quite a few phones on our family plan are up for upgrade.

It just seems weird that they didn't say anything to you when your wife upgraded to the Droid. Has anyone given you an actual reason yet?
    04-06-11 10:17 AM

Welcome to AT&T
    Hating this!

Question: will they honor your current plan? Will you have unlimited data or are you being forced into a tiered plan?

I am with Tmo and could be facing the same disaster not so far from now
    04-06-11 10:22 AM
    Wow! I can't think of a fate worse than being "transititioned" to AT&T. Can you cancel and go with something better, like Sprint?
    04-06-11 10:28 AM
    Check your mail - Verizon would have informed you that there was a carrier switch on the verizon (couldn't help it). It's pretty much a requirement.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-06-11 10:41 AM
    I am sorry. I would move if this happened to me
    04-06-11 11:19 AM
    I am sorry. I would move if this happened to me
    Did you see the map of the area? You may need to move to another state..
    I'm surprised there was no warning this was coming..
    04-06-11 11:22 AM
    Sounds like former Alltel. Some markets weren't split up immediately/correctly so some that should have been sent to AT&T are now being notified. If this isn't the case, then no idea.
    04-06-11 03:39 PM
    I live in Western Michigan. This is an Alltel area, but I've never been an Alltel customer. Apparently, this is part of the agreement when they bought Alltel, to prevent a monopoly in this area. Researching the transition online has led me to believe that I should have received text messages regarding the switch, but I seriously don't recall any. Apparently when I get transitioned, I will have 30 days to cancel without an ETF, which is the only good thing. Then I should be free to go back to VZW or look to Sprint, which is also strong in this area.
    04-06-11 03:42 PM
    Cellular Maps.com-Alltel areas being sold to Verizon, ATN and AT&T

Here's a map of markets that are being divested.
    04-07-11 11:18 AM
    I live in Western Michigan. This is an Alltel area, but I've never been an Alltel customer. Apparently, this is part of the agreement when they bought Alltel, to prevent a monopoly in this area. Researching the transition online has led me to believe that I should have received text messages regarding the switch, but I seriously don't recall any. Apparently when I get transitioned, I will have 30 days to cancel without an ETF, which is the only good thing. Then I should be free to go back to VZW or look to Sprint, which is also strong in this area.
    I'd hope that if you decide to go back to VZW, they will consider waiving the "new customer" protocol (credit check or deposit, and the like) since the temporary switch was involuntary on your part.
    04-10-11 02:26 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD