Almost 2 years, and contract isn't up for renewal till July 2011

I did not reveal to Sprint that I was drenched in rain today, but they advised me to bring to store to have it evaluated; they'll happily waive the $35 fee for being a "valued customer"

I already dried the phone and dumped it into a bowl of rice, for a good 3-4 hours now; I am unsuccessful getting it to boot, and I might of jumped the gun too early, accidentally short circuited the phone...

Should I bring to Sprint store? I don't have a backup phone
    04-05-11 03:28 PM
    More likely water damage. They will be able to tell.

Do you have insurance? If not you will have to pay full retail for a new device.
    04-05-11 03:32 PM
    No insurance, I don't see water marks on battery/ under the battery cover. I do not know for sure about the screen b/c I never dissembled a BB before...

What I was able to do was load Sprint's official software and backup my information, but could not receive calls as it never made it to boot screen.
    04-05-11 03:40 PM
    They have water damage indicators hidden all over the phone and battery. Very doubtful you'll be able to pass it by them unnoticed. Might as well give it a try and if it doesn't work hop on craigslist and find a used replacement until your contract renewal.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-06-11 02:05 AM
    I found a good howto on the web quite a while ago on what to do when the BlackBerry has a water damage. Worked for me, but then I dropped it into the toilet again and it was gone
    04-06-11 02:21 AM
    3 or 4 hours isn't very long to dry it in a bowl of rice. If it was me, I'd have gone 48 hours at least.
    And yes, they will most likely be able to tell if it got wet. But, give it a try, what have you got to lose? Worst case, buy a cheapy BlackBerry on Craigs list to hold you over till July.
    04-07-11 11:36 PM
    yeah you easily got to wait a 2 days or more int he bowl of rice, the long you wait the better your chances are and the tours are really cheap so just search around on ebay or CL, i had way better luck on CL as i got two tours for under 100 bucks off Craigslist
    04-08-11 10:11 AM
    Thanks everyone. I took it to a Sprint store to replace the screen for $35, subsequently waivered/ credit towards my account. A little sad the screen I replaced it with, has some scratches... Should've waited 2 days, oh well (patiently waits for Bold Touch)
    04-11-11 03:27 PM
    I fell through the ice this year while fishing and the tour was in my pocket.Never tried it,just took battery,chip and memory cards out and left it on the register over-night,on it's side.Next day re-installed everything and BANG,away she went,the next stumbling block was that I dropped it while working,cleaning a sky-light and it fell 25 ft. down to concrete stairs,in it's belt case and she took it hard on the screen, but after $40 and 2 weeks ,new screen arrived and watched a U-tube video and 10 min. later she was almost as good as new.....lol...Now I got OS 5.0.0.975 and she's better than new...best phone i ever owned...especially after going through 8 BB flip's in 3 yrs.TC all......Chuck...
    04-14-11 09:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD