I received the App World notification this morning.

No change log provided. The listing simply states "Minor upgrade."

04-05-11 12:50 PM
    WoW! Not showing for me in Mobihand. AW has provided an update before MH?!? The sky is falling!!! LoL.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-05-11 01:40 PM
    What does this app do?
    04-05-11 02:09 PM
    WoW! Not showing for me in Mobihand. AW has provided an update before MH?!? The sky is falling!!! LoL.

Same here WTH.......
    04-05-11 02:19 PM
    Right...I just read about it and I was wondering if it really works? Can you please share your honest opinion about it and how it helps?

Thanks
    04-05-11 02:53 PM
    Same here WTH.......
    I know!
    S4BB is one of a very, very small group of devs that seemingly have magical powers to have App World reflect their updates a whole lot sooner.

Unless� maybe they wait to release their MH update until the AW one posts to avoid AW customer hatemail. If so, that's pretty smart!
    04-05-11 02:59 PM
    Right...I just read about it and I was wondering if it really works? Can you please share your honest opinion about it and how it helps?

Thanks
    I have the original version of this app. I've never updated. But this app works well for me on my 9550. It automatically detects wifi hotspots and logs you on. When you are out of range it will turn wifi off. This prevents you from having to turn wifi on and off manually, supposedly helping you save battery.

I hope I described that correctly. I will soon be corrected if not.
    04-05-11 03:07 PM
    Ok good you checked on your own, because you asked me what this app was a few weeks back too, IIRC.

SmartWiFi works very well. Does everything it says it will. I have recommended it on numerous occasions.
    It does stay in your App Switcher permanently, which some people don't care for.

The only minor annoyance is that following an OS upgrade, it doesn't automatically re-populate its list of your WiFi spots. All this means is that you have to remember to open it and click the Activate button from one of your saved WiFi network locations after an upgrade. No biggie for me, but want to mention the bad with the good.
    04-05-11 03:09 PM
    Thank you very much and sorry if I had asked you again maybe I forgot, I appreciate you taking the time to explain this once more, and moreover, I appreciate your honesty.

Buying it now
    04-05-11 03:14 PM
    I have the original version of this app. I've never updated. But this app works well for me on my 9550. It automatically detects wifi hotspots and logs you on. When you are out of range it will turn wifi off. This prevents you from having to turn wifi on and off manually, supposedly helping you save battery.

I hope I described that correctly. I will soon be corrected if not.
    Yep that's basically it.

Just to add some further explanation if anyone cares, it uses your cell tower location to operate, not GPS. It remembers the cell towers active from any of your saved hotspots, and turns WiFi on or off based on whether or not you're within range of any of those cell towers.
    I hope that made sense.

Btw you should update! Looks nicer now and works better with SSIDs with generic names now too. (ie "Home", "linksys", "hotel", etc)
    04-05-11 03:17 PM
    Ok so I just installed it and added my WiFi connection at home and enabled the application.

How do I set it to disable WiFi automatically when I move away from my house?
    04-05-11 03:24 PM
    Ok so I just installed it and added my WiFi connection at home and enabled the application.

How do I set it to disable WiFi automatically when I move away from my house?
    This is where the magic happens. When you leave your house and are no longer in range the app will automatically do that for you. Set it and forget about it. When I'm at home my bb wifi is always on. When I leave it turns off. Sometimes I notice that I can get two or three houses away before wifi turns off so be sure you have some kind of security on your home system so your neighbors can't get free wifi courtesy of you.

And thanks, I think I will update. I've always intended to, just never got around to it.
    04-05-11 04:37 PM
    This is where the magic happens. When you leave your house and are no longer in range the app will automatically do that for you. Set it and forget about it. When I'm at home my bb wifi is always on. When I leave it turns off. Sometimes I notice that I can get two or three houses away before wifi turns off so be sure you have some kind of security on your home system so your neighbors can't get free wifi courtesy of you.

And thanks, I think I will update. I've always intended to, just never got around to it.
    thanks for the info

I am at the .9 version thorugh mobihand...hope they release the update soon
    04-05-11 04:41 PM
    I've never understood this app. From my experience, leaving wifi on has absolutely no impact on the battery. Also, I've heard you can't even use the camera with wifi on through this app. That alone should give the app no merit.

04-05-11 06:50 PM
    Also, I've heard you can't even use the camera with wifi on through this app.
    I have read this too in reviews, but I can not confirm that. The app works fine on my Torch and previously on the Bold 9700.
    04-06-11 02:37 AM
    How come the MobiHand site didn't get the update yet?
    04-06-11 02:39 AM
    Also, I've heard you can't even use the camera with wifi on through this app. That alone should give the app no merit.
    I don't even understand what this means. If true, is it saying that if I use SmartWiFi and I'm in a saved location meaning my WiFi is on, that the Camera app doesn't worK? That's ludicrous and definitely untrue.

The only thing here without merit so far is what you've had to say.
    04-06-11 03:11 AM
    I've never understood this app. From my experience, leaving wifi on has absolutely no impact on the battery.
    Maybe not much impact, but certainly there is some, that's exactly why you can turn on/off Wi-Fi manually.
    By the way RIM itself recommends to turn off any unnecessary radio options (including Wi-Fi and Bluetooth) to save power.
    04-06-11 04:33 AM
    I sent an email to the app developer asking them when can we see the updated version on the MobiHand / CB Store website as I wanna upgrade to the latest version.....let's hope they reply fast
    04-06-11 06:30 AM
    I don't even understand what this means. If true, is it saying that if I use SmartWiFi and I'm in a saved location meaning my WiFi is on, that the Camera app doesn't worK? That's ludicrous and definitely untrue.

The only thing here without merit so far is what you've had to say.
    Just tried taking a picture with it. Phone rebooted. Bold 9650 with OS 5. Heard the same thing from several others. Get your facts straight.

04-06-11 08:40 AM
    First off...
    I sent an email to the app developer asking them when can we see the updated version on the MobiHand / CB Store website as I wanna upgrade to the latest version.....let's hope they reply fast
    Go get it now. The application has been updated to v1.7.91 (instead of 1.7.10). Although, the app download page does state v1.7.10. The version difference initially displayed is probably due to some code directly related to AppWorld purchases as opposed to Mobihand purchases.
    Looking back on this thread...

Maybe not much impact, but certainly there is some, that's exactly why you can turn on/off Wi-Fi manually.
    By the way RIM itself recommends to turn off any unnecessary radio options (including Wi-Fi and Bluetooth) to save power.
    Yep. There is an impact on battery life by just having the device on... There are many more recommendations to save battery life as well including anything from back light timing, or standby mode, up to and including battery removal.
    I've never understood this app. From my experience, leaving wifi on has absolutely no impact on the battery.
    The battery life is preserved by not having the device search for locations for the most part. It is the retrieval of the location signal that diminishes the battery, just like when the device endeavors to retrieve/maintain a signal within a basement or tunnel for instance. Not neccessarily "just" having WiFi on (only) per se'.
    Also, I've heard you can't even use the camera with wifi on through this app. That alone should give the app no merit.
    Some individuals have various problems with apps, or even OS's. This is certanly not the case for all. Just because you have "heard" someones difficulties does not mean that it is the same for all. So, the "no merit" statement has-no merit. You need to try it for yourself to know the true facts as they apply to you.
    Just tried taking a picture with it. Phone rebooted. Bold 9650 with OS 5. Heard the same thing from several others. Get your facts straight.
    Sorry. I find this hard to believe. Not because it may happen to someone, but because you stated earlier as quoted above that you have "heard" certain issues with the camera while this is installed, with no personal experience. Now you are saying that even though you say the application has "no merit", you set out and paid for the application, and installed it on your device, just to come back here and say that the issues you previously "heard" about were verified?!? Why would you download and pay for an application that has "no merit" in your mind? Also one that you believe would put your device in an unstable state with reboots??? This is a fanciful capricious fabrication at this point IMO.

The app works well, and I have never experienced your claims. The native OS can do the same exact thing; however, it does not do it automatically. With the native connections application, you have to stop and manually add the WiFi locations that you are currently connected to.
    Last edited by MADBRADNYC; 04-06-11 at 09:31 AM. Reason: Spelling
    04-06-11 09:22 AM
    I guess you have proof that I didn't download the app? Thanks for playing God. I know what I experienced and I know it's true. Think what you want to think. You've obviously made up your mind and you know everything so why waste my time in this thread?

04-06-11 09:31 AM
    I guess you have proof that I didn't download the app? Thanks for playing God. I know what I experienced and I know it's true. Think what you want to think. You've obviously made up your mind and you know everything so why waste my time in this thread?
    Sorry. You misunderstood my post. What I am saying is that you seem to be very intelligent. My problem with that is why would someone be so unintelligent as to pay for and download an application to their device when they believe it has "no merit", and that it has the capacity to render the device to an unstable condition with reboots. Does this seem like something an intelligent person would do? Are you claiming this feat?

No I am not GOD, just a user and an observer who is calling your BS. I call it as I see it.

Look at it the other way around... Stop wasting everyone else's time by posting these fabrications here. Be intellectually honest with yourself.
    Last edited by MADBRADNYC; 04-06-11 at 09:50 AM.
    04-06-11 09:48 AM
    Beware of downloading apps from S4BB...they will spam you like crazy! I had smartwifi but it always killed my battery, so I deleted it.
    04-06-11 10:15 AM
    Beware of downloading apps from S4BB...they will spam you like crazy! I had smartwifi but it always killed my battery, so I deleted it.
    How did they spam you?
    04-06-11 10:20 AM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD