Hi,

I pre-ordered a playbook in the US (where I live) but I will be out of town in Canada when it is supposed to arrive. I would order one in Canada but my question is is there a difference if i purchase it in Canada as opposed to the US? Any feature difference?

Thanks!
    04-05-11 10:36 AM
    the units will be 100% the same and the price is the same... but be careful of the taxes for the province you are in.. you could end up paying 3-8% more tax.
    04-05-11 10:38 AM
    It also might be technically illegal to take it across the border. Although there is a chance you won't get caught. I would just stick with the US preorder and just wait to enjoy it when you get back!
    04-05-11 10:41 AM
    Hi,

I pre-ordered a playbook in the US (where I live) but I will be out of town in Canada when it is supposed to arrive. I would order one in Canada but my question is is there a difference if i purchase it in Canada as opposed to the US? Any feature difference?

Thanks!
    I think the dimensions of our pb will be in metric.
    04-05-11 10:45 AM
    Warranty will be nul and void. Any product you buy in either country loses it's warranty as soon as you cross the boarder. It's the legalities of the warranties for each country. It will make no difference that it's the same product.
    04-05-11 10:57 AM
    same thing when you buy it in canada you will need to pay duty to bring it back to the states but no its not illegal its not a weapon. What province are you going to or city?
    04-05-11 10:57 AM
    Also the USD to CAD exchange rate isn't great for Americans right now either. You might want to wait it out and buy in US dollars.

Also imagine if you have to exchange your playbook for any reason? You'd have to make a trip back in Canada...
    04-05-11 11:05 AM
    Warranty will be nul and void. Any product you buy in either country loses it's warranty as soon as you cross the boarder. It's the legalities of the warranties for each country. It will make no difference that it's the same product.
    not completely true you just cant bring it to an American store you would need to have someone in Canada claim it as broken and get them to send it for repairs
    04-05-11 11:18 AM
    It wouldn't be illegal and since the WiFi only version isn't tied to a carrier, you wouldn't need to worry about unlocking the PlayBook. Like previously mentioned, your only concerns should be warranty & cost (Including customs fees, assuming you declare your purchase).
    04-05-11 12:06 PM
    In terms of the warranty, it depends on if it is a North American warranty or Canada or U.S. So, it may be an issue, or may not be an issue. (Example: I buy my photo gear from the U.S. since Canon's warranty is North American so good in both U.S. and Canada).

For the duty, it too depends. If it is built in the U.S. or Canada, there is no duty. You only pay duty if it is manufactured outside of North America. (Well, Mexico is part of North America so if it is built in Mexico, I guess it could be exempt as well).

As someone else pointed out, tax rates are different across Canada so if you buy it in, say Alberta where there is no provincial tax (I think), then that would be the cheapest. Ontario is a 13%. Quebec is a bit more messed up as they charge their provincial tax after GST is added vs. on the sale price of the item (though we are talking small amount more than Ontario). Due to tax rates, you may be better off getting it in the U.S. since New York (I believe) has no state tax.

So, price wise, you may be better off in the U.S. depending on the state you buy it in. If something were to go wrong and you had to return it, unless you buy it from Costco which I think you can return goods purchased in Canada to the U.S, you are better off buying it where you live.

It's not like a day or week waiting will make any difference and it will save you some regret if something happens to it.
    04-05-11 12:11 PM
    Hi,

Thanks!
    The Canadian units are embossed with maple leaves and have a start-up tone that plays the tune to the catchy jingle "We Love Our Government Health Care".

Anyway, as others have said, duty is almost certainly not an issue. Taxes are an issue, the only way around that is if you buy the Playbook as a business expense and then formally export it to the US; you likely won't pay any taxes then. Otherwise it will range from 5% (Alberta) to 15% (Nova Scotia). Ontario is 13% and Quebec is a shade under 14%.

On exchange rate, you're at a disadvantage. The price is the "same" in the US and Canada, so $499 for the 16GB model. But the CAN$ is stronger than the US$, so CAN$499 = US$517.47 (today's straight exchange, your credit card company is bound to screw you more).

You won't be able to easily exchange or repair your Canadian bought unit until you come back to visit.

Despite all that, I think it makes sense to buy in Canada. But then again, I do work in the Canadian retail sector!
    04-05-11 12:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD