Why are all post ipad tablets failing ?

Viewsonic,
    Samsung Galaxy Tab,
    Motorola Xoom,
    Dell Streak 7

Other than some prerelease and early adopter Engadget reader excitement,
    the mass market does not seem to care about them ?
    04-05-11 12:54 AM
    They don't have apps?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-05-11 12:56 AM
    In my opinion, tablets aren't failing.
    The Galaxy Tab wasn't powerful enough to run bloated Android.
    The Dell Streak was just plain bad.
    The Xoom's price was too high.
    Viewsonic has a tablet?
    I have a feeling that the tablet market will grow significantly in the coming months. Eventually, everyone will just have a tablet instead of a bulky desktop or small laptop.
    04-05-11 12:57 AM
    3 of the 4 are weak sauce and the Xoom is going head to head with the iPad form factor.
    04-05-11 12:58 AM
    And the PlayBook is not out yet! We will see how that does!

04-05-11 01:18 AM
    its hard to capture the magic that apple has. 3 out of those 4 have some major drawbacks. the nook color is 250 and can be rooted with honeycomb which is a fabulous deal. The xoom has the higher price tab but i think with the 599 wifi option if will get some push. Bottom like is there are TONS of tabs, good and bad coming out. So time will tell if any come out a winner besides the fruit
    Crucial_Xtreme likes this.
    04-05-11 01:27 AM
    Xoom price isn't that bad IMO for wifi. The biggest issue with the Xoom is lack of stable apps and honeycomb needs some performance tweeks. I like my Xoom, the other tablets I tried lack originality and snappiness.
    Last edited by drethos; 04-05-11 at 06:02 AM.
    04-05-11 05:52 AM
    In my opinion, tablets aren't failing.
    The Galaxy Tab wasn't powerful enough to run bloated Android.
    The Dell Streak was just plain bad.
    The Xoom's price was too high.
    Viewsonic has a tablet?
    I have a feeling that the tablet market will grow significantly in the coming months. Eventually, everyone will just have a tablet instead of a bulky desktop or small laptop.
    tablets will never be able to replace laptops, its just not possible
    04-05-11 06:02 AM
    Replace computers, no, replace laptops so that you have a tablet and a desktop computer, yes, I believe so.

04-05-11 06:40 AM
    i highly doubt that : P
    time will tell, we'll see whos right !
    04-05-11 06:44 AM
    Why are all post ipad tablets failing ?

Viewsonic,
    Samsung Galaxy Tab,
    Motorola Xoom,
    Dell Streak 7

Other than some prerelease and early adopter Engadget reader excitement,
    the mass market does not seem to care about them ?
    Size matters. Most aren't willing to pay $400+ on a 7" when the bigger Ipad starts at $100 more

I played with a 7" over the weekend and it was great but I couldn't imagine ever paying $499 for something so small. It's like if Mini charged $60K for a fast car. Even if it could beat the bigger cars, no one would really buy it. And on top of that, it's not a necessity but a luxury to buy one. Something that's not very good for this economy.

Apple pretty much locked up the niche market. Those who can afford to want. Rim is going a different path by focusing in necessity... business. Very smart path. I predict it will do better than the tablets above within one year. Maybe even combined
    Last edited by Cozz4ever; 04-05-11 at 06:53 AM.
    04-05-11 06:49 AM
    Replace computers, no, replace laptops so that you have a tablet and a desktop computer, yes, I believe so.

Tablet's OS are tiny pieces of crap on the floor compared to what a 11"~13" tablet style laptop, regular laptop, or netbook, can do with windows 7 ultimate/professional or the latest version of mac os x 10.6, or actually, any desktop operating system including linux.

Tablets are still a few years behind from replacing a small laptop. As long as they have these limited operating systems and processors/hardware with "mobile device" oriented architecture, plus a high price tag, they wont have a chance against desktop based architecture laptops, which carry processors like the core i3, intel atom with hyper threading or atom dual cores, and integrated graphics card better than those in current tablets, in addition to faster ram memory.

Sadly the iOS, BlackberryOS or android OS will not replace a fully featured desktop operating system in quite some time. If we can a have a 10" tablet with decent desktop architecture and OS, then sure. Probably soon, as intel starts shrinking their die size even further than 32nm, which brings cooler processors.

Tablets are for quick light tasks, and they are convenient because of their form factor, but thats it.
    Last edited by gbsn; 04-05-11 at 07:02 AM.
    rick0415 and casimirnorris like this.
    04-05-11 06:50 AM
    Tablet's OS are tiny pieces of crap on the floor compared to what a 11"~13" tablet style laptop, regular laptop, or netbook, can do with windows 7 ultimate/professional or the latest version of mac os x 10.6, or actually, any desktop operating system including linux.

Tablets are still a few years behind from replacing a small laptop. As long as they have these limited operating systems and processors/hardware with "mobile device" oriented architecture, plus a high price tag, they wont have a chance against desktop based architecture laptops, which carry processors like the core i3, intel atom with hyper threading or atom dual cores, and integrated graphics card better than those in current tablets, in addition to faster ram memory.

Sadly the iOS, BlackberryOS or android OS will not replace a fully featured desktop operating system in quite some time. If we can a have a 10" tablet with decent desktop architecture and OS, then sure. Probably soon, as intel starts shrinking their die size even further than 32nm, which brings cooler processors.

Tablets are for quick light tasks, and they are convenient because of their form factor, but thats it.
    100% agree.
    thank you : )
    04-05-11 07:03 AM

Tablets aren't a few years behind in portability and last time I checked not all laptops were even dual-core...
    Last edited by r0v3rT3N; 04-05-11 at 08:05 AM.
    04-05-11 07:16 AM
    lets be completely honest here, tablets wont replace laptops, not even in 10 years from now on
    gbsn is completely right, tablets are quite a few years behind
    and you have to remember, laptops arent only used for work etc, there are so many things you can do on a laptop which u wont be able to do on a tablet
    04-05-11 07:28 AM
    People buy tablets because of the form factor. Laptops are portable but Tablets are mobile.

Tablets replacing laptops are really a matter of how you use your laptop. For many years, I had a big laptop that was a desktop replacement. I had server software on it with databases, services and my whole development environment. I didn't have a desktop at all.

About a month ago, I decided to switch it up since the laptop is getting too heavy to lug around (I bring it home everyday because I travel between locations). What I've decided to do is go back to a desktop and have all of my software on it and buy a new 12" laptop to essentially run Windows Remote Desktop (RDP). This would mean that the laptop has no apps on it but just the OS and the ability to do RDP.

Now, if the Playbook could do RDP, we know it can hook up to a monitor and a bluetooth keyboard. It has been reported that a bluetooth mouse could be used (though I'm not sure how at this point) so IF the Playbook could do RDP, I may not need a laptop at all.

This way of thinking is similar to initially using mainframes with terminals to thick clients and servers and now to app servers with thin clients (web browsers). It's not that far off but it does need a shift in how people think of working. This can happen today and not in 10 years.

If Playbook does RDP or any type of VNC, it may be very soon. As for work/home, I don't do much more than surf the web and check email at home. If I need to do something at work, I would RDP to my desktop at work.
    04-05-11 07:42 AM
    Tablets aren't a few years behind in portability and last time I checked not all laptops were even dual-core...
    Sure portability, i agreed with that in my last line, i dont deny they are convenient. They are good for checking emails in the morning at the kitchen, or just light browsing the web in the couch, taking quick notes, checking pictures.

But not all laptops are dual core? What the fffff? where are you from? go check again, almost all of them are already.

Almost every laptop that says core i3, core i5 or core i7 is already a dual core or even a quad core, even the old core 2. Even the core i3 380UM which is, low voltage is dual core with 4 threads with desktop instructions and has integrated graphics already. And you can find 11.6" size laptops with it.

ARM processors are nice in low power consumption devices, they are unmatchable at that. And they probably have a future in netbooks as they are getting close to desktop performance, but still with desktop operating systems, not mobile OSes. Im not against tablets being better than laptops, im against tablets with mobile OSes being better than laptops with desktop OSes.

Encoding videos, converting videos, converting music, archiving files with high compression, programming, doing tasks like rendering 3d images, having a full desktop browser experience with plugins and extra functionality like firefox or google chrome, installing any application you want, advanced networking features like file sharing, printer sharing, remote printing, file server, advanced remote controlling, being able to connect usb devices, external drives, upgrading the hard drive, upgrading the memory, database management, plus billions of applications. In all seriousness, the list goes on and on and on and on and on and on.

laptop > mobile os tablet.

But i wont deny they are convenient as i said before, im myself getting one, but not to use it as my laptop, as it will never do that.
    Last edited by gbsn; 04-05-11 at 07:58 AM.
    04-05-11 07:43 AM
    How about Asus EEE Transformer tablet? Cost only $499 for wifi version.

If the device is able to run windows instead of android, can it be considered as a replacement for a laptop?
    04-05-11 07:44 AM
    How about Asus EEE Transformer tablet? Cost only $499 for wifi version.

If the device is able to run windows instead of android, can it be considered as a replacement for a laptop?
    Not windows, any desktop OS. Mobile OSes are simply too limited compared to desktop OSes, which is my main point. Tablet hardware will get better and actually quite good in a short time, but the limiting factor will be the OS. If you have an operating system which is too restricted then its no good to be compared to a laptop. iOS and android OSes will probably be the ones to evolve into a more desktop experience, as their api is nice and flexible as of right now. Blackberry, on the other hand, i dont know, their java api sucks a55, they are focused on security and they will probably keep it that way for a few more years, which is not bad, but its not comparable to a desktop operating system.
    Last edited by gbsn; 04-05-11 at 07:55 AM.
    04-05-11 07:49 AM
    Sure portability, i agreed with that in my last line, i dont deny they are convenient. They are good for checking emails in the morning at the kitchen, or just light browsing the web in the couch, taking quick notes, checking pictures.

But not all laptops are dual core? What the fffff? where are you from? go check again, almost all of them are already.

Almost every laptop that says core i3, core i5 or core i7 is already a dual core or even a quad core, even the old core 2. Even the core i3 380UM which is, low voltage is dual core with 4 threads with desktop instructions and has integrated graphics already. And you can find 11.6" size laptops with it.

ARM processors are nice in low power consumption devices, they are unmatchable at that. And they probably have a future in netbooks as they are getting close to desktop performance, but still with desktop operating systems, not mobile OSes. Im not against tablets being better than laptops, im against tablets with mobile OSes being better than laptops with desktop OSes.

Encoding videos, converting videos, converting music, archiving files with high compression, programming, doing tasks like rendering 3d images, having a full desktop browser experience with plugins and extra functionality like firefox or google chrome, installing any application you want, advanced networking features like file sharing, printer sharing, remote printing, file server, advanced remote controlling, being able to connect usb devices, external drives, upgrading the hard drive, upgrading the memory, database management, plus billions of applications. In all seriousness, the list goes on and on and on and on and on and on.

laptop > mobile os tablet.

But i wont deny they are convenient as i said before, im myself getting one, but not to use it as my laptop, as it will never do that.
    Key word almost.
    04-05-11 08:04 AM
    If Playbook does RDP or any type of VNC, it may be very soon. As for work/home, I don't do much more than surf the web and check email at home. If I need to do something at work, I would RDP to my desktop at work.
    I am in exact same situation as Snuci except my laptop is sitting in corner now. I don't need to transport my databases and software anymore just access my server at home. The mentioned Citrix app will assist me for some clients but RDP/VPN will change my method of operation.

The Playbook offers a means of changing the way I have worked for years and I am looking forward to it. Remote linkages to my equipment has enabled me to evaluate how I used a laptop. I can visualize use of a tablet for what i do with an addition of a small keyboard and a mouse (was not thinking of the mouse).

Laptops won't be replaced for everyone but they will for a lot who truthfully look at their useage.
    04-05-11 08:04 AM
    Key word almost.
    Sure brah.

Also, go check some online stores, or even local stores. All new 2011 laptops > 11" are already dual core or quad core. Only those 10" are the ones that still carry the old intel atom single core, which will be phased out soon enough by dual cores. There is a crapload of variety and there are tons of laptops which are dual/quad core already. Sorry if you leave under a rock, not my fault. You just can't come with that argument that there are barely any laptops with decent dual core processors, because they have been in the market since late 2006.

But cool if you really think that the QNX OS is better than windows 7, mac os x or any popular desktop linux distribution.

Let me give you a tip, focus in the post as a whole and not in fragmented sentences or single words as you are just doing, because you are not coming back with something reasonable, just some trolling wannabe words.
    Last edited by gbsn; 04-05-11 at 08:21 AM.
    04-05-11 08:09 AM
    Really? Hook a monitor, mouse and keyboard and you are good to go. My 3 year old tablet is great except for battery life.
    04-05-11 08:15 AM
    Size matters. Most aren't willing to pay $400+ on a 7" when the bigger Ipad starts at $100 more

I played with a 7" over the weekend and it was great but I couldn't imagine ever paying $499 for something so small. It's like if Mini charged $60K for a fast car. Even if it could beat the bigger cars, no one would really buy it. And on top of that, it's not a necessity but a luxury to buy one. Something that's not very good for this economy.

Apple pretty much locked up the niche market. Those who can afford to want. Rim is going a different path by focusing in necessity... business. Very smart path. I predict it will do better than the tablets above within one year. Maybe even combined
    This economy is not as bad as the media makes it out to be. And I am not talking about the industries that are recession proof (or not as much) I am talking about across the board.

The fact that the media makes it seem that NOBODY is higher is down right laughable.
    04-05-11 08:17 AM

Motion Computing
    TabletKiosk
    04-05-11 08:20 AM
81 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD