hey guys i have been facing this problem since d past 15 days!

i have d bis service activated on my new curve 3g (full service)

recently i have started noticing that my balance is geting deducted every now nd then so i decided to ask the operators whr is d balance geting deducted they tell me that i have been using gprs on my blackberry

why would some1 use gprs when 3g bis is activated it dint make any sense to me so i decided to go to the nearby service center and there they tell me that since blackberry is a verry advanced phone it keeps trying to acces gprs even though bis is activated he suggested me dat there must be some 3rd party app which is trying to use gprs!

so he suggested me i remoove all 3rd party apps and check if the same is happening! and i did so, since then for 3-4 days balance was not geting deducted!

since 1 week i have discountinued with the service for some reasons and i have noticed that the balance has started geting deducted again ! and it follows a specific pattern every hour at exactly 4 mins passed (10:04 , 11:04, 12:04) the handset is trying to acces gprs i mean there r no 3rd party app installed on my fone except for foursquare, google maps, and bloomberg mobile!

i read in some other posts in the forum that there is some app which tries to use gprs backdoor!

and since yesterday randomly my bb starts giving sumnotification sounds when i chk 4 any notificatin it is not showing anything!

can some1 help me solve this problem pls!!
    04-02-11 09:07 PM
    I am not 100% what GPRS is. Explain please.
    04-03-11 12:45 AM
    I am not 100% what GPRS is. Explain please.
    General Packet Radio Service - GPRS, but i guess what OP means is non BIS data traffic.
    04-03-11 02:51 AM
    Just go to Manage connections -> Mobile Network options - > and set it to off While roaming and network mode to 3G only. I believe that will do the trick'. Good Luck!

About the notification.. what is the shape? you probably want to check the "Messages" folder
    04-03-11 08:48 PM
    i hav done dat it doesnt help!!

notification is sound only no icon nothing tried to chk every possible app dat mite giv d notification bt der r no apps apart frm bbm nothing is installed!!!
    04-03-11 09:26 PM
    How long have you had your Blackberry? If you haven't had proper service before, it could be a coverage issue.

Blackberry used to run on the same GPRS signal that the GSM carriers used before 1X and 3G became available.
    04-03-11 10:50 PM
    hey i used to have 8900 b4 recently got curve 3g 9300 and i use 3g network!
    04-03-11 11:59 PM
    Just go to Manage connections -> Mobile Network options - > and set it to off While roaming and network mode to 3G only. I believe that will do the trick'. Good Luck!

About the notification.. what is the shape? you probably want to check the "Messages" folder
    It won't help, his problem is not GPRS but cellular data traffic, no matter it is 2G, 2.5G, or 3G.

Probably the best for diagnostics is to flash a fresh OS and then to monitor for several days about any data activities. After that to install one by one the applications, with giving them some time to check which one, eventually, is using data (GPRS/EDGE/3G)
    jackvish2000 likes this.
    04-04-11 11:40 PM
    hey mtint thanks 4 d help but i have already done dat! and i have remooved all d apps including calculator calender etc d only app is d browser nd bbm but still im being charged for gprs usage god only knows whats hepening!!
    04-05-11 04:47 AM
    hey mtint thanks 4 d help but i have already done dat! and i have remooved all d apps including calculator calender etc d only app is d browser nd bbm but still im being charged for gprs usage god only knows whats hepening!!
    Hm, that's really strange. Not that familiar with BB OS but based on the situation I would think about two options, considering you have fresh installed OS, for such a behavior:
    - you didn't mention App World - could be to check from time to time for updates
    - as BB OS is designed in a way the device to be all time online, it could be the OS itslef to exchange from time to time with provider or RIM servers some data.

In both cases the generated traffic must be insignificant. What I would suggest in your case, not to speak to trade/sales representatives, or whatever they are called, of your service provider, but to talk to tech support guys there.
    Probably they can enlighten what's going on, or even to check the nature of the traffic generated by your device - which servers/addresses the device access. Anyway, more detailed discussion with tech support sounds the option left for you.
    04-05-11 07:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD