I was talking to my fellow Crackberry buddies Kill3r.Conc3ptz and MattyG27 about the leaked Monaco shots. I'm sure a lot of people noticed but there's a portion on the upper left that's blotchy. I decided to throw one image in Photoshop and adjust the levels.

The red arrows show what most people have already noticed as hidden icons.

But the blue arrows point to 2 blotchy areas that seem like they were painted over. It's obviously less distinct than the rectangles used on the icons so it's hard to say if it was even edited. But in my eyes it does not look completely flush with the image.

Front camera possibly? Maybe one of the hidden icons is BB Video. Could it be what all the secrets are about with the Playbook and the new BBs?

Just speculation among us but....thoughts?
    Last edited by UrbanGlowCam; 04-01-11 at 07:24 PM.
    sf49ers likes this.
    04-01-11 07:20 PM
    well one is the notify light i think since i dont see that
    04-01-11 07:25 PM
    Something was definitely blotched out in the upper left. Seems like an odd placement for a front cam though :/

This must be the most controlled leak of a device ever, lol
    04-01-11 07:28 PM
    Howarmat the front led is within the white highlight strip at the top directly to the right of the light sensor. It's not where the blotch is.

Kill3r after seeing the videos of the 9930 tutorials that just leaked, the Bold Touch shows just one hole in the front. That would mean no front camera and just the led unless they're just hiding it for some reason. The leaked slides never showed or mentioned any front camera unfortunately.

RIM is killing us....
    howarmat likes this.
    04-01-11 07:38 PM
    Howarmat the front led is within the white highlight strip at the top directly to the right of the light sensor. It's not where the blotch is.

Kill3r after seeing the videos of the 9930 tutorials that just leaked, the Bold Touch shows just one hole in the front. That would mean no front camera and just the led unless they're just hiding it for some reason. The leaked slides never showed or mentioned any front camera unfortunately.

RIM is killing us....
    good catch, i didnt see that.
    04-01-11 07:40 PM
    It would be a great surprise but I think don't think we will see it. If we do then RIM is doing a great job of hiding it and learning to play like apple.
    04-01-11 09:24 PM
    i had this convo earlier, and hence the post about the icons on the cb homepage, heres my `possible` list

NFC - multiple nfc cods in the OS files and a new icons for it

Compass - cods referring to compass and magnemoter thingy and icons

BlackBerry Wallet - its out already but theres a new icon for it

Playbook icon - not sure of use (tethering/sync, but icon very visible

Docs to go suite - its not new, but theres one docs to go icon rather than the normal 3

this could all be guessing but id level it at nfc, compass and playbook icon if i had to bet on it. or just their emails
    04-01-11 11:00 PM
    Front-facing cams are really low on a priority list, in real life. Until devices have the power and there is more open bandwidth to use, I don't see a lot of demand or usefulness for it. Nice wish, but not very practical.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-01-11 11:11 PM
    Front-facing cams are really low on a priority list, in real life. Until devices have the power and there is more open bandwidth to use, I don't see a lot of demand or usefulness for it. Nice wish, but not very practical.
    This is a point I've been trying to convince others with but they bring up a good point. If other phones are getting it (3g even), then why shouldn't the Blackberry? I understand it could be a battery hog and isn't practical, but the ability to be able to just do it if needed is nice.

Personally, I will have a Playbook and my laptop that can video chat so I will use those if I need to and save the battery on my phone. Whenever I video chat, I'm usually home anyways and not on the go. Then again I'm not going to lug around a laptop and video chat as I'm walking so its not COMPLETELY comparable.

In the end, it's definitely not make or break for me but it'd be nice to have it. It's looking like they won't have them until the QNX phones. Battery is my priority over video chat when it comes down to it.
    04-01-11 11:19 PM
    I think some of y'all have forgot about the "LOCK" and "MUTE" buttons on the BlackBerry's...

Oh and a side note. This looks like a Telus phone just from the theme we see and Telus is known for these leaves and other weird colorful things BUT this MUST be the GSM/"Monza" version cause it shows the 3G icon and if your on Telus and runnin on the HSPA+ network it will show 3G while all CDMA BB show 1XEV on the Telus network.
    Last edited by Kryngle; 04-01-11 at 11:46 PM.
    04-01-11 11:21 PM
    I think some of y'all have forgot about tje "LOCK" and "MUTE" buttons on the BlackBerry's...

Oh and a side note. This looks like a Telus phone just from the theme we see and Telus is known for these leaves and other weird colorful things BUT this MUST be the GSM/"Monza" version cause it shows the 3G icon and if your on Telus and runnin on the HSPA+ network it will show 3G while all CDMA BB show 1XEV.
    Not true. My Storm 2 is on Verizon CDMA and says 3G. Also the wallpaper could be a sample image that comes with the Blackberry.

I'm not saying you're wrong about it being a GSM Telus model, because it could. Just saying that with the recently leaked Monaco video showing the Verizon branding, the fact that BGR is in the US, and the 9850 leak from yesterday supposedly being from Verizon, there's a good chance it's from VZW.

But I could also say BGR somehow got ahold of a Telus model and the reason why the radio door isn't shown is because they want to hide their branding.

It could go either way but there's not enough info to completely pinpoint which carrier or version this is.

As for the lock/mute buttons...it seems they may have combined it into one button on the top center as shown in the Bold Touch video. I imagine they did the same for the Monaco/Monza? Not sure since I don't recall seeing the top. But that's a good indication. It's unrelated to the smudges on the top/front next to the light sensor/led indicator.
    04-01-11 11:34 PM
    This is a point I've been trying to convince others with but they bring up a good point. If other phones are getting it (3g even), then why shouldn't the Blackberry? I understand it could be a battery hog and isn't practical, but the ability to be able to just do it if needed is nice.

Personally, I will have a Playbook and my laptop that can video chat so I will use those if I need to and save the battery on my phone. Whenever I video chat, I'm usually home anyways and not on the go. Then again I'm not going to lug around a laptop and video chat as I'm walking so its not COMPLETELY comparable.

In the end, it's definitely not make or break for me but it'd be nice to have it. It's looking like they won't have them until the QNX phones. Battery is my priority over video chat when it comes down to it.

I understand that some makers are putting them in, but I see this becoming a MAJOR hullabaloo down the road. If you think they're gonna pitch a conniption over texting and driving, imagine the kittens they'll be having over idjits that are video chatting and driving.

Beside, when people realize that a camera can be remotely accessed, I'm sure they'll want their private moments being hacked and posted on YouTube or lifestyles of the nose miners, in depth analysis. While some might find another's bathroom habits, others would be happy to pass.

04-01-11 11:35 PM
    9850 is also 9860, gsm/cdma or vice versa just thought id throw that out there
    04-01-11 11:50 PM
    I understand that some makers are putting them in, but I see this becoming a MAJOR hullabaloo down the road. If you think they're gonna pitch a conniption over texting and driving, imagine the kittens they'll be having over idjits that are video chatting and driving.

Beside, when people realize that a camera can be remotely accessed, I'm sure they'll want their private moments being hacked and posted on YouTube or lifestyles of the nose miners, in depth analysis. While some might find another's bathroom habits, others would be happy to pass.
    First off, I love the wordage

In all seriousness, I think you bring up good points. You can put a corporate twist on it and say it's great for video conferencing. I think that's a big part about the Playbook that's important.

I think if RIM leaves front cams out, it will give SOME consumers incentive to buy/use the Playbook, they'll save money on leaving out the parts, they can save it as an upgrade for the QNX phones, and they can preserve battery.

On the other hand, consumers will see it as a missing feature other smartphones have and automatically assume it's inferior. Thing is, some might not realize how little they will use this feature. I really thought about it and ended up thinking it's not really necessary. Especially when I'll have a Playbook. Not to say everyone should HAVE to buy a Playbook to use video chat. That's just how it is though. People will complain but still purchase the new Blackberrys IMO.

Most of the complaints will really come from those that HAVE to have every single latest feature to brag to their friends and make themselves feel higher.

In the end, it wouldn't hurt to include front cams and I think it'd be really exciting, but it's not going to turn me off from the phone. I'm still extremely excited.

Plus...my GF can't check on me

9850 is also 9860, gsm/cdma or vice versa just thought id throw that out there
    I'd assume 9850 is the CDMA because of the Bold & Storm 2 xx50. That would leave the 9860 as the GSM model? Does anyone know anything about xx60 devices?

Also, where does the Torch 2 fall under this whole 98xx fiasco? 9820/9830?
    Last edited by UrbanGlowCam; 04-01-11 at 11:55 PM.
    04-01-11 11:52 PM
    Let's not forget the number of people I flip off on the phone, like I really want them to see my real opinion.

04-02-11 12:10 AM
    I'd assume 9850 is the CDMA because of the Bold & Storm 2 xx50. That would leave the 9860 as the GSM model? Does anyone know anything about xx60 devices?
    that would make sense as historically 30 was cdma and now 50 is cdma+wifi iirc so maybe 60 would have to be gsm but never seen a xx60 before, but yea would make sense, i still want the BlackBerry 10K tho
    04-02-11 12:29 AM
    that would make sense as historically 30 was cdma and now 50 is cdma+wifi iirc so maybe 60 would have to be gsm but never seen a xx60 before, but yea would make sense, i still want the BlackBerry 10K tho
    Right. I've done this a couple of times but I think I'm getting it... lol

9800 - Torch 1 GSM
    9880 - Torch 2 GSM (similar to 9700 to 9780)

9850 - Monaco (All Touch) CDMA
    9860 - Monza (All Touch) GSM

9900 - Bold Touch GSM
    9930 - Bold Touch CDMA

So in the case of the Bold Touch, xx30 might not signify lack of wifi anymore but more of the first iteration of a model...still lines up with 9530/9630 being the first version even if it was coincidental they were lacking wifi.
    04-02-11 12:55 AM
    wow! you`ve put waaay too much thought into that although i have to agree with your logic.

curveball - explain 9670 and 8520

im jus messin, id say its safe money your two calls for 9850/60 and 9900/30 are right
    04-02-11 01:01 AM
    I don't really understand why everyone (particularly here) seems to think a front facing camera is just a gimmick. I understand 3G speeds might not be quite what we're looking for, but it does work, and most high end phones have wifi... and wifi hotspots are available at a LOT of places. I have a feeling its one of those "we don't have it, so it's stupid" but once RIM puts one on the blackberry, crackberry users will be touting the front facing camera as being super powerful and wonderful, regardless.

I mean I have a torch, great phone. If it had a front facing camera for video chat, I can tell you right now I would use it all the time even just for quick calls to my family, girlfriend, etc. Whether it was having free time, letting them know I'm leaving work/a gig, or just saying hi. It's much nicer to talk to someone face-to-face (or as close to it as possible)
    04-02-11 01:02 AM
    You're right BBThemes I did put too much thought into it lol. Good call on the 9670...pretty much says xx70 is CDMA. Might be why they were going towards 9570 for the Storm 2 refresh.

xx20 is usually the GSM sequel device. Hence 8300/8320, 8500/8520, 9500/9520, etc. But I think the way they treated the 9700 -> 9780 makes me think that's how it will be for the Torch to Torch 2.

Momo, front camera is not a gimmick at all. I agree with everything you're saying. I just meant to say that it wasn't top priority for me. I think it'd be really exciting if we got a front camera but it's not a deal breaker for me and many others. If it is, I guess RIM is risking the loss of those customers to the iphone/android phones.
    04-02-11 01:34 AM
    Right. I've done this a couple of times but I think I'm getting it... lol

9800 - Torch 1 GSM
    9880 - Torch 2 GSM (similar to 9700 to 9780)

9850 - Monaco (All Touch) CDMA
    9860 - Monza (All Touch) GSM
    I don't think they would want the model numbers of two brands to overlap so Torch 2 is more likely to be in the range 9810 to 9840. (9810 or 20 being closer to Torch seems most logical to me)
    04-02-11 04:09 AM
    I don't really understand why everyone (particularly here) seems to think a front facing camera is just a gimmick. I understand 3G speeds might not be quite what we're looking for, but it does work, and most high end phones have wifi... and wifi hotspots are available at a LOT of places. I have a feeling its one of those "we don't have it, so it's stupid" but once RIM puts one on the blackberry, crackberry users will be touting the front facing camera as being super powerful and wonderful, regardless.
    I think it can be a useful feature on a computer or a tablet where you aren't having to hold the camera up all the time, ideal for seeing family members in another country or bargain basement videoconferencing for work, but on a phone right now it is just another checklist feature and mostly pointless regardless of whether it was on a blackberry or not
    04-02-11 04:12 AM
    Playbook icon - not sure of use (tethering/sync, but icon very visible
    Presumably they think the blackberry bridge stuff on the phone merits an application rather than just being something in the options menu and that icon is for changing stuff to do with that.
    04-02-11 04:14 AM
    im like...100% sure this isnt a front camera ;>
    Last edited by Seijuro; 04-02-11 at 05:26 AM.
    04-02-11 04:21 AM

this i think is a major thing. CHOICE This is one place android and even apple excel at. They have huge app markets to provide choice. with android you have choice of hardware and skin also. If BB would give users more choice on some things it would be great. being stuck with compressed and truncated data sucks, but if you could let the user choice that would be great. They can make a great LTE battery sucking phone, atleast the consumer can choose if they want to buy one.

I havent used the FFC on my thunderbolt yet but atleast i know i can if i want to. over the next year more phones and other devices will support video chat/conference so any new BB would really be a little behind come 1 year from now if they didnt have them
    04-02-11 05:05 AM
62 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD