A couple of days ago I performed an update on my Blackberry 9700 to 6.0.0.488. Once the update went through my phone went haywire. My device is constantly bringing up the hourglass and I can hardly use the device.

Here is what i did. I saw the update in the Desktop Manger. So, therefore I backed up my data and performed a wipe. I then updated the software to the .488 update. After the update was completed it added several bb apps to device which I deleted using the APP LOADER on the device. After loading only a few (4) important apps back onto the device, I checked the existing memory and it still shows that I have at least 50+ mb left.

However, my device is still running slow and lagging, should I go back to the earlier version. Does anybody have the same issues?

Any advice...
    Steven
    03-31-11 12:10 PM
    Is this the first time you are using OS6 on your 9700? Is it 6.0.0.488 or 6.0.0.448?

If so OS 6 takes more memory than OS 5. Plus there is a memory leak in OS 6. In the course of the day you will notice you free memory drop. The only way I found around this is to pull the battery. I will do this just before going to lunch and then again before I leave the office at the end of the day. I also shrunk the OS before installing it. I'm quite sure if you call T-Mobile they will have no clue about what your talking about or how to help you, unless you get a senior tech support who knows something.
    03-31-11 12:22 PM
    Shrink your OS, that's the secret to get more memory, there are numerous guides all over the forum and step by step instructions.l Use the search
    03-31-11 12:27 PM
    1) Launch BlackBerry Desktop Manager and create a backup of your phone just in case something goes wrong.

Backup your apps using BBSAK if you are really worried that the automatic backup of apploader fails so you can reload them back later on using the BBSAK backup, this step is not mandatory unless you are really worried or don�t have the links to restore all the apps back easily later on.

2) Ensure that you do not have any previous OS installed on your PC by going to Control Panel and uninstalling any BlackBerry Device Software that you see there.

3) Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files and ensure that folder is empty, if there was any folder in there (usually any previous OS files will be there), then delete it, that folder needs to be empty before we start.

4) Download and install OS 6 for your 9700, you may choose any build you want. ( I recommend 461 personally from what I hear but feel free to pick the one u want)

5) Download and install
    BB Hybrid Tools v2.4

Run Hybrid Tools, click on the Shrink-A-OS Tab then carefully start checking the boxes of the components you will not use, like all the languages, all the carrier themes, the built in wallpapers, videos, etc. ; all the chat/messaging applications that you know you never use, social feeds, podcasts, etc.....

After selecting all the components / languages you want to shrink, click on the Add/Remove button on the bottom right to initialize the shrinking process, when it is over, you will see at the bottom right by how much was your OS shrinked (in MB)

DO NOT REMOVE ANY LANGUAGE FILES UNLESS YOU DONT NEED THEM, ENGLISH UK CAN SAFELY BE REMOVED IF YOU DON'T USE IT AS ENGLISH USA WILL ALWAYS BE THERE BY DEFAULT.

The below image are the options that I select to be removed, feel free to change anything according to your requirements.

The path shown also is a 9780 path and is just for illustration purposes so dont let it confuse you.

6) Navigate to:

Computer >>> C: >>> Program Files >>> Common Files >>> Research in Motion >>> Apploader

OR

Computer >>> C: >>> Program Files (x86) >>> Common Files >>> Research in Motion >>> Apploader
    if you were using a 64-Bit version of Windows

Then delete the file named vendor.xml
    (only if it was there, if it wasn�t then don�t bother)

7) Run apploader.exe within that same folder to start the OS update.

8) While getting the options of components to install, you should now see much less as you have shrunk your OS, however, still do a final check to ensure that everything that is checked is something you actually use. Sometimes for example, the Chinese language or any other language or component might be there, so just don�t select it if you don�t want it.

I would personally not bother with social feeds as well as it is of no use to me, saves me some space not to have it.
    (This is a personal choice, if you need it, then keep it)

What social feeds does is it interlinks all your social apps such as facebook and BBM, twitter, etc, into one application, so for example if you want to set your status as gone on holidays, you don't need to do it on each application seperately, social feeds will do it for all in one step. Still, I personally dont need that.

Next come podcasts, if you don't deselect that during the installation it automatically gets installed, again, useless to me.
    TuneInHYPERLINK "http://www.radiotime.com/bb" radio is much better IMO.

Last, I do not install Appworld as I can just download the apps manually from the websites, that saves me some good space too.
    (This is a personal choice, if you need it, and if it works in your country, then keep it)

If you do the above tricks, you should not run into many memory problems.

03-31-11 12:36 PM
    Actually, I have had the previous version of OS 6.0.0.??? (don't remember the version). And it was working just fine no issues. It only started when I upgraded to this version.

I will try this and see if this works...I will let you know.
    04-01-11 11:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD