Hello Crackberry fans,

I am on the fence right now, Android or Blackberry? I just purchased a Droid 2 and I am really missing my 9780. I switched carriers and Verizon does not have the 9780. My question, should I purchased a Storm 2 for 199.00? (no contract) Is it worth it? I hear rumors about a new Berry coming out through Verizon in the near future but Android is simply not for me I think. Please give some honest feedback! Like I mentioned I will be paying 199.00 with no contract so I can re sell the phone on Ebay down the road if I have to. Thanks in advance!
    03-29-11 09:46 PM
    What is it you don't like about the Android phone? Because they do not have the 9780 but they do have a version of the Bold on VzW that might be more your style.
    03-29-11 11:40 PM
    Yeah I did see the 9650 but I have heard that the new software 6 makes the phone lag some. Also, the storm is being sold to me by a friend. Android is ok just used to the blackberry OS. I do not need all the applications and games etc. that android offers.
    03-29-11 11:53 PM
    You know that you don't have to download them right? lol
    The Storm 2 is decent. I have a few friends that have it that love it, by I can't say personally.
    03-30-11 02:44 AM
    I would say get a refurbished or used Blackberry Bold 9650 for a good price and wait for the Monaco (or Bold Touch). I had the Storm2 for a year an and half and had the Storm1 before it. The device just has too slow a processor and too little app memory to actually even function properly with even just a few apps installed... (and at least for me, the surepress screen was very glitchy).

Bold 9650 with OS6 is lightyears ahead of the S2, even with the smaller keyboard, and buying it refurbished, my contract and upgrade weren't effected and the device will more than definitely hold me over until the new BBs are released
    03-30-11 04:17 AM
    $199!! INSANE!!! no way. I dont LOVE my S2 - but I do like it.
    I wouldnt pay $20 for it now.... i would try your best to hold off till the new devices release.
    03-30-11 07:29 AM
    Hello Crackberry fans,

I am on the fence right now, Android or Blackberry? I just purchased a Droid 2 and I am really missing my 9780. I switched carriers and Verizon does not have the 9780. My question, should I purchased a Storm 2 for 199.00? (no contract) Is it worth it? I hear rumors about a new Berry coming out through Verizon in the near future but Android is simply not for me I think. Please give some honest feedback! Like I mentioned I will be paying 199.00 with no contract so I can re sell the phone on Ebay down the road if I have to. Thanks in advance!
    NO! It wasn't worth it for $99 a year ago, luckily I sold it and got something better.
    03-30-11 07:36 AM
    1. The storm2 is too old to be worth $200 now.

2. The Storm2, if only $50 still wouldn't be a good deal--get a 4G Android for a better smartphone experience.
    03-30-11 09:40 AM
    Guys I appreciate all the advise but is the storm really that bad? My wife has the 9650 with Blackberry 6 and it lags big time compared to my old 9780. I know 200.00 is a lot of money for an old phone but after all it is a Blackberry and berries are like tanks. I saw some storms on Ebay for 200.00 to 250.00 so seeling it in a few months should not be a problem. Feel free to chime in a bit more! Thanks
    03-30-11 09:57 PM
    I love my s2 .. I paid 250 for it new with no contract a year ago. (That should say something) -- would i pay 200 now -- nope. Look around -- deals are out there (the market here on cb for one).

My s2 will get me thru till something new in the touchscreen dept for bb surfaces. Or until I cant take it anymore and go droid.
    03-30-11 11:42 PM
    I would never buy a Storm series device at all. Yes, I realize a lot of people like them but I was burnt by the Storm 1 and the Storm 2 isn't that much better. Just my opinion..
    03-30-11 11:52 PM
    See now we gotta take it to the eBikeRack at the bell.
    03-30-11 11:59 PM
    Back when the storm1 and 2 were released I convinced 6 people/friends to get them, they all have regretted buying them including myself. Too slow, too outdated for $200 bucks at this point.
    03-31-11 06:16 AM
    i think it'd be better to wait for the new devices Q2/Q3 2011
    03-31-11 06:21 AM
    Personally I like the S2. I came over to the dark side and Verizon from Sprint and the god awful 8530. I had so many problems with my 8530 that it was time for a change so S2 and Vzw here I came.

I have had little to no problems with this phone. I've had to battery pull a few times in the month and some change that I've had the phone and one of those times was after I installed the Sirius/XM app just to restart the phone as requested. I keep Sirius/XM on all day at work and even with that running, Gmail running and both Yahoo and Google chat running, it doesn't lag or die.

I got mine on a contract with Vzw so I'm not going anywhere. I like it. The new devices are supposed to drop this fall and I couldn't have waited that long. My Curve was falling apart and was being held together by spit and kite string and Sprint's only answer was upgrade to that makeup compact looking BB.
    03-31-11 02:00 PM
    If you're considering a Storm2 (OS5 device) but miss your bold and don't want to risk OS6 yet, why not get the 9650 and load it with OS5 instead of the OS6 update?
    03-31-11 04:27 PM
    I bought a factory refurb Storm 1 a few months ago for an auxilliary phone and managed to get most of the kinks out of it. I like it so much that I just opened the box on a factory refurb Storm 2, for the wifi. I paid ~ $230 for it via amazon.
    Now, I'm not a phone groupie so I don't know where some OP here get that ~$200 is an outrageous price for a new S2. The market is telling me it isn't, and as long as there isn't a replacement for that model the market will stay there.
    I could have paid less for the S2 but then I would have had to get a cheap-charlie refurb or someone's diseased, used unit. From what I see in my hand, there is nothing to distinguish this refub S2 from a new one, except maybe it has had the bugs taken out.
    My advice? Get a Factory Refurbished or the new unit and if you don't want to spend ~$200 bucks then wait until the S3 hits the shelves. Remember, you get what you pay for
    03-31-11 06:04 PM
    I bought a factory refurb Storm 1 a few months ago for an auxilliary phone and managed to get most of the kinks out of it. I like it so much that I just opened the box on a factory refurb Storm 2, for the wifi. I paid ~ $230 for it via amazon.
    Now, I'm not a phone groupie so I don't know where some OP here get that ~$200 is an outrageous price for a new S2. The market is telling me it isn't, and as long as there isn't a replacement for that model the market will stay there.
    I could have paid less for the S2 but then I would have had to get a cheap-charlie refurb or someone's diseased, used unit. From what I see in my hand, there is nothing to distinguish this refub S2 from a new one, except maybe it has had the bugs taken out.
    My advice? Get a Factory Refurbished or the new unit and if you don't want to spend ~$200 bucks then wait until the S3 hits the shelves. Remember, you get what you pay for
    Why would anyone pay $199 w/ a 2yr-renewal for a phone that's gone EOL? $230 for a refurb???? LMAO you got raped!
    04-01-11 07:11 AM
    Why would anyone pay $199 w/ a 2yr-renewal for a phone that's gone EOL? $230 for a refurb???? LMAO you got raped!
    This is it, in a nutshell. $230 for a refurb - the S2 was $250 with a 2-year agreement back in Nov '09. EoL 9 months later, and not going to be upgraded past OS5. There were multiple OS releases for my 8130 in October before the S2 hit the shelves; the 9550 hasn't seen anything since .1015 was put out (had to separate the two for that, the 9520 got something recently). My S2 is alright - it gets the job done and doesn't give me problems enough to spend money before my upgrade date rolls around, but I wouldn't recommend it before anything else. And not for more than $50-$75.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-02-11 12:11 AM
    pcgizmo, or anyone else for that matter: Get me a factory refurbed S2 for $75, via a trusted reseller, and I'll buy four of them, right here right now. I can't tell you how many times in my life I've run into people who tell me "Oooh, I could have gotten that for (enter whatever ridiculous low price). ", but each and every time I never see the goods.
    4 for $75 each, trusted dealer. Make it happen.
    04-02-11 07:12 AM
    $199!! INSANE!!! no way. I dont LOVE my S2 - but I do like it.
    I wouldnt pay $20 for it now.... i would try your best to hold off till the new devices release.
    When I upgraded my S1 with the S2 Verizon wanted $199 for it. I bought it on Wirefly.com for $20.00. That was about a year ago. I'm waiting for the Monico and will probably get it after it's out about a month or two when I can pick it up at a discount.
    04-03-11 11:53 PM
    When I upgraded my S1 with the S2 Verizon wanted $199 for it. I bought it on Wirefly.com for $20.00. That was about a year ago. I'm waiting for the Monico and will probably get it after it's out about a month or two when I can pick it up at a discount.
    That's with an obligatory contract, isn't it?
    Ahhhh, I get where all you finance majors are coming from: $500-1000+ a year in contract obligation = inexpensive phone. (pssssst. they're "free" now at Wirefly. go get a better deal)
    Sure, I'm the fool who pays asking price for the phone, but when mine sits in a drawer for a month or two, I pay nothing.
    04-04-11 04:45 AM
    S2 is excellent phone. It does everything I need. In the UK it costs almost �200 so 200 bucks is not bad deal. I don't like small screens so Storm is great for me, even better than 97XXs. It's not perfect but I love it anyway.
    04-08-11 11:43 AM
    pcgizmo, or anyone else for that matter: Get me a factory refurbed S2 for $75, via a trusted reseller, and I'll buy four of them, right here right now. I can't tell you how many times in my life I've run into people who tell me "Oooh, I could have gotten that for (enter whatever ridiculous low price). ", but each and every time I never see the goods.
    4 for $75 each, trusted dealer. Make it happen.
    You paid $230 for a refurbished device. I sold my Storm2 that I used for 10 weeks, not a mark on it, wiped/updated to the latest OS, for $130.

I'm not searching the internet for better deals for you, but I do when someone over pays for something. I'm glad you're happy with Storm2, I wasn't satisfied: the OS's are shoddy and the build quality out of Mexico is terrible.
    04-08-11 11:49 AM
    You paid $230 for a refurbished device. I sold my Storm2 that I used for 10 weeks, not a mark on it, wiped/updated to the latest OS, for $130.

I'm not searching the internet for better deals for you, but I do when someone over pays for something. I'm glad you're happy with Storm2, I wasn't satisfied: the OS's are shoddy and the build quality out of Mexico is terrible.
    Your used S2 would not have met my requirements therefore I would have looked for one that did and I would have paid the market price for meeting those requirements. you "LMAO" about a deal made, all the while you ignore adjusted value in a market price, based on your individual requirements which are quite different from mine. While you may think highly of yourself, for me to buy a second hand phone, unseen personally, from an unknown entity equals a crap shoot at best, and I choose to hedge my bets in those circumstances.
    Fact is, what I want doesn't exist at $75, $100, or $130 on the market at present, and your own value judgment does not affect that one way or the other. Unfortunately, you have failed to realize this and instead have succeeded in coming across to me as being totally witless in how a market functions according to consumer demands.
    Last edited by Beakman; 04-09-11 at 04:13 PM.
    04-09-11 03:50 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD