I was wanting a bit of advice with regards to taking my 9780 on holiday, to Toronto. I live in the UK and I am 3 months into an 18 month contract, and my carrier will literally charge me a fortune for using my phone abroad.

I have looked into various options but wanted to know what the experts thought!! For the record, I would use my phone, for phing the UK, sending texts to friends and family, posting pics & info to twitter and facebook, and listening to the radio, esp when I'm at the baseball.

Thanks for listening.. Looking forward to getting the best solution for me
    03-29-11 01:35 PM
    i wouldnt know because i have never traveled outside my area lol

i would suggest calling ur network and add to ur current plan to allow you to use ur phone if only for temp.

and also i wouldnt know this for sure but i think if u have wifi where ever you are going you shouldnt be charged when using ur phone.
    03-29-11 03:02 PM
    might be unlocking it and then getting a sim card over here may be an option. Of course then your still paying for other service and there is no inexpensive way to use a phone in this country. Wifi don't work to talk over here either. Rodgers is saying they are letting that happen but you have to pay for the option as well
    donners32 likes this.
    03-29-11 05:03 PM
    might be unlocking it and then getting a sim card over here may be an option. Of course then your still paying for other service and there is no inexpensive way to use a phone in this country. Wifi don't work to talk over here either. Rodgers is saying they are letting that happen but you have to pay for the option as well
    Ok thanks. So you reckon buying a local SIM Rodgers SIM card would be the best solution even for someone who will use loads of data?

My supplier, 3UK, will charge me �10 per mb over in Canada as well as some astronomical costs for texting and calling.
    03-30-11 03:28 AM
    Mobile Network then Data services OFF, While Roaming OFF ! and thats it!
    03-30-11 08:03 AM
    Mobile Network then Data services OFF, While Roaming OFF ! and thats it!
    That will NOT help the OP, who requires data usage whilst away.

To the OP... using your 3UK SIM will be fine for phone calls and texting, but for social networking and radio streaming - forget it. That WILL cost you a fortune!

If you insist on using data, then your only option is to use a local carrier's pre-paid SIM with included BB data plan (if one actually exists in Canada?), or use wifi.

...and don't spend too long looking for Rodgers as they don't exist. It's Rogers

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    donners32 likes this.
    03-30-11 08:17 AM
    Fido and rogers both offer prepaid plans from what I seen on their websites. You will just have to weed through it all and see if it all fits your budget. Good luck and have a nice trip
    enjoy your stay
    03-30-11 08:50 AM
    i dont know much since im seriously just a student and dont have much of that corporate stuff going on, but i do travel on different countries every now and then on my breaks and what my mum would do is buy me a prepaid sim and load it up to be sure, cos i have tried last year when i went to singapore, on my last day i got a message reminding me of my bill which nearly gave me a heart attack
    03-30-11 09:26 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD