Hi,

Have had my first BB (Bold 9000) for the last couple of weeks. Seems to do what I need it to do, but there are just a couple of things I cannot figure out:

1. The red stars that indicate when I have new a new email or sms (text) have disapeared? When I first installed gmail app the red star would appear on ikon but now it doesn't. Same for sms icon but not a problem as there's another one at the top of screen for this. Luckily red LED & tone still work.

Things I've tried after trawling net for answers:

- Upgrading OS via desktop software.
    - Checked profile settings...nothing applicable?. Checked sms message options (new message indicator..on, display message count...unread). Looked at application permissions...have allowed anything to do with gmail. Checked gmail app options (notify me when I recieve new mail....ticked)
    - Battery pull.

2. I can't open pdf's. Have figured out I can download native file from gmail when logged in thro browser in html but still can't open them. Can anybody recommend a 3rd party ap?

Other info:

- I'm just using a regular mobile data connection, not BB data plan.
    - The phone was originally on 3UK but has been unlocked and is now being used in Denmark (BB's used mainly by companies here)
    - OS v4.6.0.303 (Platform 4.0.0.248) - latest available w/o BB data according to desktop software.

Here's hoping there's somebody out there with some suggestions.

BR

DSCO
    Last edited by dsco; 03-28-11 at 03:58 AM. Reason: Battery pull also tried
    03-28-11 03:53 AM
    Missing notification, or alternately notification but no message, seems to be caused by email message database corruption. To fix, open 'Blackberry Desktop Software' and back up your phone. Then, under the Device menu, there is an option 'Delete Data'. You can pick this, and choose to delete only certain kinds of data from your phone. Delete the messages database. Then restart the phone and see that all your email messages are gone, and check that email notification & reception are working again. Sometimes there is a bum gmail can't be deleted and screws up the database, by picking the gmail.com icon instead of messages and choose to 'archive' instead of delete, you can make it go away.

However, the old non-integrated gmail plugin client just does not work well at all. It has to check the mailbox manually every few minutes using POP3 (the default is 10 minutes I think, and it can even be turned completely off), because only Blackberry BIS supports instant-notification push messages.

Are you not upgrading to OS5 just because you are using the old gmail plugin to get emails directly from Google, bypassing BIS? That's the only reason I could see to not upgrade.

The 'documents to go' app (included with OS upgrades, but de-selectable) should handle PDFs, along with the attachment manager to launch them. I never got PDFs to do less than suck in OS 4.x.
    03-28-11 10:51 AM
    Hi Booraa,

Thanks for advice, I tried deleting email database but it was greyed out so I'm guessing that older gmail plugin I'm using doesn't use this. As I don't have a BB dataplan (as far as I know) I can't use the newer integated gmail plugin and I'm also not able to update OS5 (at least that's what I'm told when I check for updates with desktop software). I'm not so bothered that I don't have push mail but would like the notification stars back!

Regards

DSCO
    03-29-11 12:29 PM
    I'm having a similar issue, the red star indicator never shows up for any of my text messages and I can't figure out why this is happening. Device restarts and OS reinstallations did not help...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-13-11 09:26 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD