I noticed today, my Blackberry Bold 9780 has become very sluggish. Nothing has changed from yesterday to today, but now that black clock with the moving hand piece keeps coming up for the smallest tasks, and the battery has drained, even though I barely used it!

Is there a fix? The only thing I can think of is that I backed up my files using Desktop Manager last night...
    03-25-11 11:34 AM
    have you tried a battery pull?
    and fast battery drain can be linked to Apps like Facebook.

Also, your network coverage can kill a battery pretty fast if you are bouncing between EDGE and 3G all day.
    03-25-11 11:41 AM
    Even I thought the same but I was wrong. You need to update your OS to the latest. What OS you have now? The latest one is 6.0.0.480....which You can get it from sticky.
    Once updated...eveything is fast & no more that annoying clock.
    03-25-11 11:43 AM
    Even I thought the same but I was wrong. You need to update your OS to the latest. What OS you have now? The latest one is 6.0.0.480....which You can get it from sticky.
    Once updated...eveything is fast & no more that annoying clock.
    An OS reload is not needed, as we do not know which OS the OP is running
    03-25-11 11:44 AM
    Hmm, it looks like I have 6.0.0.294.
    I will update of course, but is .294 a notoriously bad version or something?
    03-25-11 11:55 AM
    ...but is .294 a notoriously bad version or something?
    Not necessarily bad... just old
    03-25-11 12:04 PM
    480 is snappier and is the best OS for the 9780 currently however, 294 shouldn't be sluggish as you mentioned.

What application did you install recently?

I once had this issue when I installed a crappy program called Ace Email Viewer, my BB became a turtle
    03-25-11 12:13 PM
    480 is snappier and is the best OS for the 9780 currently however, 294 shouldn't be sluggish as you mentioned.

What application did you install recently?

I once had this issue when I installed a crappy program called Ace Email Viewer, my BB became a turtle

Only thing I can think of is this program called Blackberry Protect. I installed it on Tuesday, thought it was awful (it jumbled up all my messages somehow) so I deleted it on Wednesday.

Is its ghost still making its presence on my precious new BB?
    03-25-11 12:26 PM
    check out if it's remains still in Application Management, completely burn them and put some holy water of battery pull.
    then see if it's effect still haunts your BB.
    if yes...........
    then advance backup whatever in needed via DM..
    and BBSAK complete wipe...
    then......
    install *.480
    re-backup. see you have an advance backup so none of not needed files exist...

this will definitely solve your ghostly problem.
    i am a ghost buster..
    ta10 likes this.
    03-25-11 12:36 PM
    I've sort of noticed mine has been a little sluggish lately also... especially the TSN app. I'm at 220847530 bytes free memory. That seems lower that it used to be but I'm not sure on that one. I only have the regular 5 programs running in the background. Is that normal for Free Memory? I don't mean Free Space I have 210.6mb free for that.
    03-25-11 02:05 PM
    Hmm, it looks like I have 6.0.0.294.
    I will update of course, but is .294 a notoriously bad version or something?
    I gotta say I found all releases to perform quite fast, it was just the bugs that annoyed me (scrolling ghosts and cursor issues mostly).

So as Phill said, more on the old side than necessarily bad. Too much of an early version.

I've sort of noticed mine has been a little sluggish lately also... especially the TSN app. I'm at 220847530 bytes free memory. That seems lower that it used to be but I'm not sure on that one. I only have the regular 5 programs running in the background. Is that normal for Free Memory? I don't mean Free Space I have 210.6mb free for that.
    Byte Converter

Just to let you know friend, 220847530 bytes equals 210.61 mega bytes.

I would guess that is pretty normal free space yes, on a usual OS load (no shrinking, no cod editing, no alx removing). I'd try a battery pull, that usually takes care of the issue.

If you do want more free memory and performance, consider reading this:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...ghlight=memory
    Last edited by diegonei; 03-25-11 at 03:58 PM.
    03-25-11 03:55 PM
    I noticed today, my Blackberry Bold 9780 has become very sluggish. Nothing has changed from yesterday to today, but now that black clock with the moving hand piece keeps coming up for the smallest tasks, and the battery has drained, even though I barely used it!

Is there a fix? The only thing I can think of is that I backed up my files using Desktop Manager last night...

I'm experiencing the exact same thing!

The black clock pops up even when I'm just moving my cursor and the battery is draining 80% a day with just a few email checks. My OS is up to date and tried battery pull for the first time in 5 months using the 9780.

I also thought about the BB protection app which I've installed on Monday but why today instead of the download date?

Confusing. Any input or share would help. Thanks.
    03-25-11 10:06 PM
    Are you using Whatsapp by any chance?
    03-26-11 12:05 AM
    I'm experiencing the exact same thing!

The black clock pops up even when I'm just moving my cursor and the battery is draining 80% a day with just a few email checks. My OS is up to date and tried battery pull for the first time in 5 months using the 9780.

I also thought about the BB protection app which I've installed on Monday but why today instead of the download date?

Confusing. Any input or share would help. Thanks.
    Yesterday when I had all these issues I realised the signal had been fluctuating between GPRS/EDGE and 3G all day, which probably didn't help things much, but the phone had been sluggish even before I travelled to that area.

What I did was douse my phone in the holy water of battery pull for five minutes, then updated the OS to version .480. It seemed to do the trick and the phone is now back to normal.

I also checked to see that the Blackberry Protect software wasn't lurking in my phone anywhere.

I've been using WhatsApp for a while now and have had no problems with it so the only thing I can really pin the problems down to are Blackberry Protect, and maybe the backup I did to the Desktop Software on Thurs night.
    03-26-11 03:46 AM
    Sorry guys I'm going to sound very stupid, but how would you do the battery pul? And where can I download the latest OS version, I'm jus new to this got my blackberry 2 months ago and it runs awfully slow

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-26-11 08:30 AM
    Calmly revolve your phone in your palm until the back is facing upwards.

Place your right hand on the battery cover then gingerly slide the cover off, leaving the bare battery exposed.

Then swiftly use a pen, coin or fingernail to remove the battery. Set it next to the phone for a few minutes while you do something else in the mean time.

Then place the battery back into the phone, slip the battery cover back on, and power up your phone.

To get the latest OS, there is a sticky on this forum for the 9780 with instructions.

03-26-11 08:36 AM
    Hello guys,

I've got the same probleme here....its very irritating. My bold 9780 is very slow and my battery drains soooo quick ( 70% / half a day ).
    Yesterday everything was fine and my BB worked like a sunshine..
    Battery pull, update OS and re-installing Whatsapp didn't work . My BB is just 1 month old.
    Anybody Ideas?

Kind Regards,

Arshaad
    03-26-11 09:34 AM
    Calmly revolve your phone in your palm until the back is facing upwards.

Place your right hand on the battery cover then gingerly slide the cover off, leaving the bare battery exposed.

Then swiftly use a pen, coin or fingernail to remove the battery. Set it next to the phone for a few minutes while you do something else in the mean time.

Then place the battery back into the phone, slip the battery cover back on, and power up your phone.

To get the latest OS, there is a sticky on this forum for the 9780 with instructions.

Hehe, thanks )

03-26-11 11:43 AM
    Hello guys,

I've got the same probleme here....its very irritating. My bold 9780 is very slow and my battery drains soooo quick ( 70% / half a day ).
    Yesterday everything was fine and my BB worked like a sunshine..
    Battery pull, update OS and re-installing Whatsapp didn't work . My BB is just 1 month old.
    Anybody Ideas?

Kind Regards,

Arshaad
    which OS version are you on for your bold 9780 at the moment? yeah, i also had the same problem too.. when i was on the .294, i kept on rebooting my bold once a day, even sometimes i did the reboot sequence 2-3x/day (just for a random reason) even though nothing's wrong with my bold, until 2 days ago, suddenly after rebooting, my bold started to be so sluggish, with that black clock appearing on the screen every 10 seconds and yeah.. battery was draining too.. so i had to do another battery pull and it was back to normal.

i noticed that.. the "sluggish sequence" occurs on my 3rd reboot of my bold device. this morning, i decided to update to the .448 for now (from rogers) and i tried to simulate the same battery pull sequence. that problem still occurred on my 3rd reboot but it was quite improved, even though the black clock still appeared, but instead of appearing every 10 seconds, this time, the clock appeared every minute (well.. quite improved, but not improved enough..) until i decided to perform another battery pull and that normalized my bold's performance.

now the question is.. does anyone know how this could happen & how to prevent that? i've read reviews on the latest os .480 and i'm still considering of reloading that os on my bold too.. if that could solve this strange problem.. cheers!
    03-27-11 07:07 PM
    Just to let you know friend, 220847530 bytes equals 210.61 mega bytes.

I would guess that is pretty normal free space yes, on a usual OS load (no shrinking, no cod editing, no alx removing). I'd try a battery pull, that usually takes care of the issue.

If you do want more free memory and performance, consider reading this:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...ghlight=memory
    Wow I shold have known that. I was thinking one was free memory and the other was free hdd space.

03-27-11 07:10 PM
    which OS version are you on for your bold 9780 at the moment?

At the moment i have .448 ( T-Mobile, Netherlands) and my pin starts with 23 ( Made in Hungary ). OS .480 isn't available in the Netherlands, yet.

Arshaad
    03-28-11 02:53 AM
    At the moment i have .448 ( T-Mobile, Netherlands) and my pin starts with 23 ( Made in Hungary ). OS .480 isn't available in the Netherlands, yet.

Arshaad
    i see. so you're using the official os .448 from Tmob NL. Meanwhile, have you tried the battery pull recently? Dunno if it could help to normalize the sluggish problem. but well, there are some options you might wanna try:
    - OS .448 from Rogers Wireless Canada
    - OS .480 from PCC Wireless Taiwan

all you have to do before loading the OS to your bold is to delete the "vendor.xml" file on the C:/Program Files/Common/RIM/AppLoader. once you've deleted that XML file, any OS is now ready to be installed on your bold.
    03-28-11 03:19 AM
    @yvpan1

I did yesterday a battery pull and deleted a theme, the mainvideo and some other apps. I have now 227 mb of free space on the phone. For now it works, my phone is working like a sunshine again ( except for the stuttering keyboard )
    I will upgrade to .480 if the problem still occurs.

Thanks for your help !!

Arshaad
    03-28-11 02:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD