I got a curve a couple months ago trough AT&T. i had never got any insurance for my cell phones but i figured why not for this one. I am sooooo glad i did. A suggestion to anyone....GET THE INSURANCE!!!! It works great!

Yesterday i did something very very s tupid, I dropped my curve in the toilet. I immediately took out the battery and sim card and let it dry for a bit. i looked near the sim card and saw that the little white water damage sticker had turned color. I was so upset but then remembered that I had actually bought the insurance. So yester afternoon I called AT&T and they helped me trough the process. After about 10-15 mins on the phone the lady told me i would have my brand new phone and sim card shipped to me in 2 business days. Well this mourning i woke up and was SHOCKED. My email from AT&T said that my phone was on the fedex truck for delivery today by 3:00. They sent the phone from Texas to Alabama in less than 24 hr.

Everyone need to get the insurance!!!!
    08-08-08 11:55 AM
    im glad to hear that, i have been having doubts about my insurance through att, i have had it over a year and never used, but that one time something happens, i know i will be covered.
    08-08-08 12:12 PM
    Wow I didn't know the insurance covered water damage. Awesome! I unfortunately bought my curve before att had insurance so I have to use an outside agency
    08-08-08 12:18 PM
    Get your berries while they are hot. When Nov 1st comes, it will be $125 for the PDA deductibles.
    Last edited by Jayden0606; 08-08-08 at 11:14 PM. Reason: grammical error
    08-08-08 03:03 PM
    Got your berries while they are hot. When Nov 1st comes, it will be $125 for the PDA deductibles.
    What does this mean?
    08-08-08 11:07 PM
    What does this mean?
    Just what it says...
    08-08-08 11:10 PM
    Just what it says...

Lol...

$125 rather than $50
    08-08-08 11:15 PM
    Gotcha, okay.
    08-08-08 11:27 PM
    Just remember that $5/month over 2 years is $120. So with a $50 deductible you're talking about a $170 replacement cost for the small chance of losing or breaking your phone, which is not exactly chump change.

When the deductible is $125 then the replacement cost is $245. The way I read the AT&T page on insurance is that the deductible goes from $50 to $125 regardless when you buy the phone.

With the discounts and rebates AT&T usually offers, insurance really isn't that good a deal except maybe on the latest and greatest phones - like the iPhone 3G. Oh wait...
    08-09-08 10:15 AM
    Why wouldn't it be good. Everyone understands $5 every month.

Who would rather pay $245 up front? The is the beauty of insurance.

Also suppose I lose my phone two in the first month? I just spend $105 on two devices. Good deal than.
    08-09-08 10:22 AM
    Remember this though, insurance is only available if you bought your phone from AT&T. I actually got mine from the company my wife works for and am not able to get insurance from AT&T.
    Not really a big deal though since if this one does die for some reason, I can get another one for $50.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-09-08 10:30 AM
    I am not talking about the difference of a monthly vs up front cost. I'm referring to the fact that you're paying an extremely high premium relative to the protection you get.

$5 month is $120 over the life of 2-year a contract and a $125 deductible means that you are paying $245 to replace a phone you lose (after Nov. 1). That's a steep price to pay for an insured phone.

Some time ago I had a look at the loss ratios of a large mobile phone insurer and was surprised to see that the loss ratios were so low that it made the lottery look like a good investment.

P.S. I did once upon a time lose a phone which I had insured so this is not a rant of an unsatisfied customer. I have no doubt that the service and convenience is great. They have to be.
    08-09-08 10:35 AM
    I am not talking about the difference of a monthly vs up front cost. I'm referring to the fact that you're paying an extremely high premium relative to the protection you get.

$5 month is $120 over the life of 2-year a contract and a $125 deductible means that you are paying $245 to replace a phone you lose (after Nov. 1). That's a steep price to pay for an insured phone.

Some time ago I had a look at the loss ratios of a large mobile phone insurer and was surprised to see that the loss ratios were so low that it made the lottery look like a good investment.

P.S. I did once upon a time lose a phone which I had insured so this is not a rant of an unsatisfied customer. I have no doubt that the service and convenience is great. They have to be.
    I'd much rather pay monthly and a deductible than $500+ upfront for a replacement phone. AT&T is very, very picky about replacing them.
    08-09-08 11:33 AM
    I'd much rather pay monthly and a deductible than $500+ upfront for a replacement phone. AT&T is very, very picky about replacing them.
    Sure, if I knew in advance I was going to lose or break my phone I would too. And how many phones cost $500 to replace over the entire 24 month contract?
    08-09-08 12:12 PM
    A lot of phone are that price.

Cell Phones & Devices - | Wireless from AT&T, formerly Cingular

The price online for retail price is a little different than the equipment pricing I work with. Like the LG Vu retails almost at $1,000.

Sprint - Define Region

I said $500, because I have mine through Sprint and retail is $499.
    08-09-08 12:26 PM
    A lot of phone are that price.

Cell Phones & Devices - | Wireless from AT&T, formerly Cingular

The price online for retail price is a little different than the equipment pricing I work with. Like the LG Vu retails almost at $1,000.
    LG Vu retails for $330 without any discounts or rebates. I'm not sure what you mean - we're talking AT&T right?

LG VU(TM) Cell Phone - | Wireless from AT&T, formerly Cingular

Sure if I go out and buy a Bold and lose it within the 1st few months it will probably cost $600+ to replace it. But if I lose it in a year it will probably be closer to $300, of which I'd be out of pocket $245 if I had the insurance.

Now a phone like the Samsung i900 should that come to AT&T that might be another matter.
    08-09-08 12:38 PM
    The actually retail prices can be found when going to wireless.att.com and upgrading your device. If you are ineligible, you get the offer to no commitment.

With MobileTV -
    No-Commitment Price
    $616.99

Without MobileTV -
    No-Commitment Price
    $561.99
    08-09-08 01:01 PM
    I also was talking about the equipment pricing grid via customer care, not the website. i.e.; if you call into order / replace a phone at retail price.
    08-09-08 07:05 PM
    I also was talking about the equipment pricing grid via customer care, not the website. i.e.; if you call into order / replace a phone at retail price.

Use "the ordering system" for pricing btw. The pricing grid is evil!
    08-09-08 09:35 PM
    Ha ha, I know. I don't like ordering phones. That program is so damn slow.
    08-10-08 11:55 AM
    OK you guys have me totally lost. I take it then that the site I linked shows different prices to different people? Without logging in the LG Vu says:

Retail Price $329.99
    2-yr Contract Price $179.99
    Total Due Today $179.99
    Mail-in Rebate via AT&T Promotion Card - $50.00
    Price After Mail-in Rebate $129.99

The way I read it is that I get the phone with no commitment for $330 and with a 2 year contract for $130. Why am I not seeing the prices you are referring to?

I actually need a spare phone since my trackwheel doesn't "click" anymore and would like to save my upgrade for the Bold so I'd like to make sure I understand how to use this site. And before someone refers to the irony, I've had this phone for over 2 years and I can probably get it a new one for less than the $5/month I'd have paid in insurance.
    08-11-08 01:31 PM
    I've been talking about an internal equipment pricing grid, used for customer support agents. We can't match Cell Phones and Cell Phone Plans from AT&T, formerly Cingular Wireless prices, via phone. We have to go off of that price, unless specifically notated.

There are a lot of prices for the same phone, as well.
    08-11-08 04:48 PM
    Somehow my blackberry charging port broke after a week when I went into the store I was told it was $100 to replace it NOT $50. This was two weeks ago. I bought my original curve threw AT&T on July 25.
    08-13-08 10:53 AM
    where the **** did you guys get your insurance? or how? ive tried and asked every rep that i want insurance on my pda phone, but they all said no...thats not possible, that i have better luck meeting the pope than getting insurance through ATT on my curve.

08-13-08 11:09 AM
    I got my insurance the day i bought my phone at the AT&T store. AT&T offers the insurance on smartphones but the old Cell one didnt before AT&T bought them out. Plus according the store here you have to buy it within the first 30 days of purchase of the phone in order to even get it.
    08-13-08 01:07 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD