just wondered about this:-

i have a pearl 3G 9105 at the moment, when i get my playbook will i be able to use my phones 3G connection while im on the move?
    03-23-11 07:36 AM
    Yes, with potential fees, there is a million and a half threads on this, just do a quick serch on tethering.
    luvac1 likes this.
    03-23-11 07:47 AM
    what OS is that running?
    03-23-11 09:05 AM
    what OS is that running?
    i am running OS 6 6.0.0.481
    03-23-11 09:11 AM
    Will the OS version make a difference?
    03-23-11 09:14 AM
    Only that is has to be OS5 or greater.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-23-11 09:28 AM
    its has to be an OS 5 or higher device according to RIMs site is all. So you should be good to go
    03-23-11 09:29 AM
    Just talked to Verizon. They're charging for tethering
    03-23-11 10:57 AM
    With Rogers with the 6Gig plan - tethering is free (1gig and more tethering is free) but will it work with the Playbook and how ? that is the question
    03-23-11 11:11 AM
    Not really sure what you mean by will it work? Your BB will work as a modem for the PB just as it does with a notebook or netbook.
    03-23-11 11:30 AM
    If we 'pair' the playbook with bluetooth to your bb so it can act and retrieve your bbm, email and IM's, is that also what people refer to as being "tethered"....don't want to spend $20 per month when I would mostly use it in a wifi area.
    03-23-11 11:37 AM
    If we 'pair' the playbook with bluetooth to your bb so it can act and retrieve your bbm, email and IM's, is that also what people refer to as being "tethered"....don't want to spend $20 per month when I would mostly use it in a wifi area.
    Nope. What you described is Bridging via BlackBerry Bridge. Tethering is accessing web using your BB as a modem.
    anon(2888700) likes this.
    03-23-11 11:49 AM
    Nope. What you described is Bridging via BlackBerry Bridge. Tethering is accessing web using your BB as a modem.
    This will probably also require you to run a cord from your phone to the PB.
    03-23-11 12:13 PM
    I don't use BT as none of my current computers have it, but can't you tether via BT with your laptop and BB?
    03-23-11 12:16 PM
    Anybody know if we can use the Rocketstick on the playbook?

I have it working on my Ubuntu PC, maybe will miss some drivers in QNX?
    03-23-11 12:17 PM
    i was meaning, if i am sat in the park and i have 3G signal on my Phone can i connect to my phone and use the 3G connection it has
    03-23-11 12:20 PM
    Yes, you can. There may be fees for doing so, but that seems to be carrier regulated. We don't have any hard information on that.
    03-23-11 12:25 PM
    i was meaning, if i am sat in the park and i have 3G signal on my Phone can i connect to my phone and use the 3G connection it has
    Sure, if you want to surf the web you can tether but carriers usually charge extra for this service. If you bridge the berry with the PB, you can do everything but surf the web i believe (please correct me if i am wrong guys.)
    03-23-11 12:26 PM
    You will not have to run a cord from your BlackBerry to the PlayBook to access e-mail, BBM, etc. You simply connect it via Bluetooth (BlackBerry Bridge).

As per the question, yes, you will be able to use your BlackBerry as a modem and access its 3G connection on your PlayBook when you are outside a WiFi area. However, the question is if carriers will charge a tethering fee in order to do this or not. For most people this shouldn't be too much of an issue as there is WiFi in most places that people use computing devices. But if you really want to use your PlayBook in the park, yes, you'll tether to your BlackBerry pending a tethering fee or not, depending on if that's something you're willing to pay or not.
    03-23-11 12:26 PM
    I have tried contacting Verizon support via email and they told me they don't know as they don't support it. Guessing either he had no idea or Verizon has not made up there mind yet.
    03-23-11 12:28 PM
    You see, the thing is that for carriers to allow the PB to surf the web under the BB Bridge is not profitable, also. There would be no need for a 3g At&t version and comparable with all other carriers.

If you have unlimited data on your bberry and are allowed to surf the web through bridging, why would you pay $25 bucks for 2GB for instance? right.
    03-23-11 12:33 PM
    You see, the thing is that for carriers to allow the PB to surf the web under the BB Bridge is not profitable, also. There would be no need for a 3g At&t version and comparable with all other carriers.

If you have unlimited data on your bberry and are allowed to surf the web through bridging, why would you pay $25 bucks for 2GB for instance? right.
    i live in the uk and i have an unlimited data plan on my contract for my BB, i have contacted my network to see if they will provide tethering/charge for it when the PB is released here, all i got was "no comment" and "we don't know".

i can get a Mi-Fi device for �7.50 a month with 15GB data usage and that works on 3G signal and HSDPA connection, so i could just purchase one of those and connect my PB through that maybe..
    03-23-11 12:39 PM
    I think we can assume the carriers will charge a fee to tether your BB to the PB.

The developers of Tether will release a solution for the PlayBook, so you can bypass the carriers and Tether that way. Of course, do so at your own risk.

If you aren't familiar with Tether, its an app that enables tethering for a one-time, up front fee. The problem with Tether is its often a violation of TOS's and can get you into hot water with your carrier; hence, do it at your own risk : )
    03-23-11 12:41 PM
    i live in the uk and i have an unlimited data plan on my contract for my BB, i have contacted my network to see if they will provide tethering/charge for it when the PB is released here, all i got was "no comment" and "we don't know".

i can get a Mi-Fi device for �7.50 a month with 15GB data usage and that works on 3G signal and HSDPA connection, so i could just purchase one of those and connect my PB through that maybe..
    that actually isnt a bad price for mifi. Remember you still will need your BB for PIM functionality though
    03-23-11 12:50 PM
    You will not have to run a cord from your BlackBerry to the PlayBook to access e-mail, BBM, etc. You simply connect it via Bluetooth (BlackBerry Bridge).
    Right... sorry if I wasn't clear. Bluetooth does not require a cord to get email, BBM, etc from the phone. The cord would only be needed for tethering when you want to surf the web.
    03-23-11 01:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD